10+ Year Old Account

New BT inifinity connection same as old connection

I've recently signed up to the new BT Infinity packet (was told I would be getting up to 45mb...)

I am a complete novice when it comes to broadbands and networks so bare with me.

When I rang BT they told me that it would be all set and ready today. I am still running my old BT home hub from my old connection (i was told an engineer would not be needed and a new one will not be required).

I have done a speed check this morning and granted my speed has gone up from 0.48mb to a whopping 2mb but surely this is not right? Do I need the new BT Home hub?

Could someone help? If this is the speed I will be getting, I will be going back to my old package and saving the extra £20 a month...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call BT first. Explain problem. Probably get it solved faster than troubleshooting here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried that but as always Mr Indian says there is no problem...

Internet bandwidth is reported in Bits as compared to the more 'general use' Bytes. 45 mbits/s is 5.625 mbytes/s. You're probably getting a mbytes/s reading.

Seeing as how most internet is advertised as 'up to X mbits/s', your 2 mbytes/s doesn't seem all that bad. If you're on cable, internet speeds usually go up in the afternoon/night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellywelly View Post
    Tried that but as always Mr Indian says there is no problem...
    I find it hard to believe that he says that your speeds of 2Mb/s, when your supposed to be getting 45, is not a problem. Ask for a supervisor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been told to keep something 'constantly streaming' so that the new connection can bed in of sorts. So I've got WoW running and a movie TRYING to stream.

I'll try customer service again later, I doubt it'll have any effect, but would my old hub/router which BT provided be throttling my connection also?

I've recently signed up to the new BT Infinity packet (was told I would be getting up to 45mb...)

I am a complete novice when it comes to broadbands and networks so bare with me.

When I rang BT they told me that it would be all set and ready today. I am still running my old BT home hub from my old connection (i was told an engineer would not be needed and a new one will not be required).

I have done a speed check this morning and granted my speed has gone up from 0.48mb to a whopping 2mb but surely this is not right? Do I need the new BT Home hub?

Could someone help? If this is the speed I will be getting, I will be going back to my old package and saving the extra £20 a month...
    Definitely not right Virgin medias 30mb connection gets you 3.7mb dl speed.
    You could try turning of the router for a few mins then restarting it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go to the BT website, put in your phone number and it will tell you exactly what your line can support:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...dband/infinity

If if does not say 45Mb download then someone has lied to you when selling the package.

Make sure that you are getting a speed reading in bits, not bytes will you?

Try running www.speedtest.net and post the result here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran that line test and came back with the following;

'Superfast fibre optic broadbandGreat news! You are eligible for superfast BT Infinity.

23.3Mb download
    5.4Mb upload'

We have had an email saying that the upgrade was complete. Could it be that it needs a few hours to bed in?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused.

So you bought a package that allows for 45Mbit. And you were told that it was complete and set up and ready to go.

You also have something saying you can, currently, upgrade to 23Mbit.

Is this all correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct...

Now after a live chat session with someone from their accounts and billing department, they still have me down on my OLD package (which is up to 1mb).

Good old British Telecomm....

Deleted
    Correct...

Now after a live chat session with someone from their accounts and billing department, they still have me down on my OLD package (which is up to 1mb).

Good old British Telecomm....
    BT HAVE to come out for an upgrade from standard BB to Infinity. There is an extra White modem box they install before the black BT router. If they havent done this then you are still on the old network. On the back of your black router there should be a yellow port (i think its yellow) for Infinity. Again if it isnt there you should get another one.

Ideally they will also send you another black router, Home hub 3 v2 is the current one.

Hope this helps, Oakers

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that was probably the case since I've had this old hub for about 3 or 4 years now...thanks bud

Deleted

Subject to availability.
    Did they tell you your area supported that speed? I know when I was going to upgrade they told me I could get up to 50mb I then found out my area only supports up to 20mb..... Have a word with them make sure they are not telling you porkies

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Subject to availability.
    Did they tell you your area supported that speed? I know when I was going to upgrade they told me I could get up to 50mb I then found out my area only supports up to 20mb..... Have a word with them make sure they are not telling you porkies
    And request that they confirm anything and everything they say to you in writing. Never trust an oral contract, it is worth exactly as much as the air used to form the words (i.e. nothing).

10+ Year Old Account
    In response to the above posts. They promised up to 45 mb but the true estimated speed round be about 23/25 mb (which is a hell of a lot better than what i currently have

After a good 2 hour discussion being passed around multiple departments at BT and probably various different parts of the world too....they have finally sussed what the problem.

As our telephones were being paid for via the Post Office, we had to cancel with them to get them included in the Package at BT, all well and good, but I have just found out that all BT have done is include a phone line and not upgrade the broadband package.

Lord only knows why I got an email stating it had been completed when it was never even put through correctly in the first place.

Another phone call needed to start the whole process again....it's just a shame no other ISPs are operating in my area...do not recommend BT one bit, nothing but problems with this appaulaing customer service...

Deleted
    Same reason I moved to sky because BT sucked... I had to tell tech support what my problems were because they didn't have a clue :/ Then again sky aint much cop either