Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Suggestion: Glyph of Icy Touch Redesigned?

We all know how offensive dispels can be incredibly game breaking at occasion and even thought we're unable to dispel as efficiently as a shaman we obviously acknowledge that having an opponents BoP dispelled is definitely worth the minor rune sacrifice of Icy Touch. However, given the fact that Chains of Ice is more commonly used in PvE and that it's visual effect is clearly better looking why not merge these abilities? If I'm not mistaken Plague Strike will apply Frost Fever in addition to it's current effects as well in patch 5.2 so the only reasonable usage of Icy Touch will be for dispelling and ask yourselves this; how many classes have any ability that is completely useless without a glyph which still only benefits one aspect of the game?

We're not shamans, we can't consistently spam our dispell button, neither should we becuase that would make us overpowered in addition to our incoming buffs. How often have you seen an enemy with many buffs and failed to dispell the one you wanted? Quite often I assume if you've been using it regularly. Without Chillblains it's essentially a Frost or Dearh Rune being wasted. But if Chains of Ice would dispell we would at least get something else out of a failed attempt. Alternatively Plague Strike could dispell instead as well but it just seems slightly wrong as that ability would not only apply two diseases but also dispell.

Thoughts on this?

Link to my original post: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6444175006#1

Deleted
    Dispel might not be the best looking option in the eyes of the devs because dk in their eyes is quite strong against casters already, and if it would be spammable without cost, it would make frost mages etc proc heavy casters weak against us.
    Instead give it a 8 sec cd (6 with a glyph OR 10sec CD and dispels 2 buffs) and runecost of single rune depending on which spec you are atm (frost for frost, unholy for unholy etc), if no suitable rune is available, it could cost either 40rp or mix of 2 runes as frost and blood for unholy spec (not sure how that would work for frost though...). Just to ensure that its nearly always ready for use but at heavy cost if you weren't saving runes for it. In pvp setting you almost know when pally is trying to bubble, or that after frozen orb, mage has some fingers up or something.
    I have no idea if the RP gain should be taken away or not.

Having icy touch be our dispel would also eliminate the need to swap glyphs depending on next pve fight mechanisms
    Last edited by mmoc5352742bc3; 2013-01-22 at 02:04 PM. Reason: another glyph idea

Deleted
    IMO:

Icy touch should be buffed and howling blast's single target damage nerfed to make Icy Touch the go-to single target ability/rime proc ability unless you're in an AOE situation.

with this change + having it as a constant dispell for frost DKs on rime procs/if they're DW then I'd completely agree Chains of Ice should be the dispell ability. I'd limit it to 50% chance on dispell though.

link to my original post (was a while ago so ignore the stuff about conversion/gargoyle as that's changing anyway):
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0646048?page=1

Deleted
    Change of some spell happening is old fashioned already. They removed talents that buffed dispel protection by certain percent, so why would they bring one "pre-nerfed" dispel back to game?
    And i completely agree with your idea of buffing icy touch damage incase it won't be changed to dispel mechanic. Heroic spirit kings etc mechanics where aoe is prohibited hurts DW frost hard.

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    IMO:

Icy touch should be buffed and howling blast's single target damage nerfed to make Icy Touch the go-to single target ability/rime proc ability unless you're in an AOE situation.

with this change + having it as a constant dispell for frost DKs on rime procs/if they're DW then I'd completely agree Chains of Ice should be the dispell ability. I'd limit it to 50% chance on dispell though.

link to my original post (was a while ago so ignore the stuff about conversion/gargoyle as that's changing anyway):
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0646048?page=1
    Interesting idea becuase Frost is probably the easiest spec in the game and could definitely use something like that. However I definitely don't think that our offensive dispell should have any RNG involved as we're not able to spam offensive dispels like a shaman and doing so also significantly hurts our damage not only becuase we lose a global but becuase the rune could've gone to a Necrotic Strike or whatever.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Problim View Post
    Dispel might not be the best looking option in the eyes of the devs because dk in their eyes is quite strong against casters already, and if it would be spammable without cost, it would make frost mages etc proc heavy casters weak against us.
    Instead give it a 8 sec cd (6 with a glyph OR 10sec CD and dispels 2 buffs) and runecost of single rune depending on which spec you are atm (frost for frost, unholy for unholy etc), if no suitable rune is available, it could cost either 40rp or mix of 2 runes as frost and blood for unholy spec (not sure how that would work for frost though...). Just to ensure that its nearly always ready for use but at heavy cost if you weren't saving runes for it. In pvp setting you almost know when pally is trying to bubble, or that after frozen orb, mage has some fingers up or something.
    I have no idea if the RP gain should be taken away or not.

Having icy touch be our dispel would also eliminate the need to swap glyphs depending on next pve fight mechanisms
    Nobody said anything about dispell having no cost, that would obviously be absurd. Having offensive dispell on a CD would be wrong becuase that would contradict the essential structure of DK design where runes are supposed to compensate for frequently used abilities having no CD while still having limited usage.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2013-01-22 at 02:54 PM.

IMO icy touch should be replaced by howling blast when you spec into frost and they should just give a baseline dispel on a cooldown.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    IMO icy touch should be replaced by howling blast when you spec into frost and they should just give a baseline dispel on a cooldown.
    Seriously do you want to increase Howling Blasts usage even more? It's already ridiculous don't you think?

I would rather the glyph be on chains of ice instead of icy touch. A glyphed chains of ice will dispel the target.

Quote Originally Posted by liljc711 View Post
    I would rather the glyph be on chains of ice instead of icy touch. A glyphed chains of ice will dispel the target.
    That's essentially what I said.

Title: Suggestion: Glyph of Icy Touch Redesigned?
    Content: Chains of Ice purge.

Read before posting.

What i said was just clear and to the point though.

I don't know anyone in the game that uses the current coi glyph. The chillblains talent might have to be changed around too depending on how powerful the devs feel about putting a root, slow, dispel, disease all in one spell. Possibly put a 5-6 sec cd on coi if using the glyph, but the rune is just about off cd at that point anyways. It would just not allow you to stack full death runes and spam it.

Quote Originally Posted by liljc711 View Post
    What i said was just clear and to the point though.

I don't know anyone in the game that uses the current coi glyph. The chillblains talent might have to be changed around too depending on how powerful the devs feel about putting a root, slow, dispel, disease all in one spell. Possibly put a 5-6 sec cd on coi if using the glyph, but the rune is just about off cd at that point anyways. It would just not allow you to stack full death runes and spam it.
    Ok sorry no offence intended, guess I came out a bit too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    That's essentially what I said.

Title: Suggestion: Glyph of Icy Touch Redesigned?
    Content: Chains of Ice purge.

Read before posting.
    no, your content was something about shamen, followed by something about BoP dispeling in PvP, and then stuff about CoI in PvE, then something about icy touch only being used in one aspect of the game, followed by random plague strike thoughts, then some more about shamen, then back to PVP dispelling, then into chillblains, followed, finally, by your point of "add the dispel to CoI glyph". oh, sorry - then you go back into thoughts on plague strike again.

i wonder why he missed your point?

personally, i thought your point was to add the CoI functionality on to Icy Touch, make the dispel baseline, and have the glyph to remove it.

which would be awesome.
    Last edited by Ssith; 2013-01-22 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    no, your content was something about shamen, followed by something about BoP dispeling in PvP, and then stuff about CoI in PvE, then something about icy touch only being used in one aspect of the game, then some more about shamen, followed by random plague strike thoughts, then back to PVP dispelling, then into chillblains, followed, finally, by your point of "add the dispel to CoI"

i wonder why he missed your point?
    Unfortunately you didn't understand then I guess, it was definitely not about shamans I was just comparing their offensive dispell to ours. Most of the things you mentioned where statements that contributed to my attempt of convincing you that my suggestion was a good solution of change. It was about Icy Touch being removed and the offensive dispell being moved to Chains of Ice, that was the point. I can't answer your question becuase everyone else seem to understand.

Seriously do you want to increase Howling Blasts usage even more? It's already ridiculous don't you think?
    unless they double or icy touches damage, i don't think it is needed for frost at this point. Aside from the dispell
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

10+ Year Old Account
    We all know how offensive dispels can be incredibly game breaking at occasion and even thought we're unable to dispel as efficiently as a shaman we obviously acknowledge that having an opponents BoP dispelled is definitely worth the minor rune sacrifice of Icy Touch. However, given the fact that Chains of Ice is more commonly used in PvE and that it's visual effect is clearly better looking why not merge these abilities? If I'm not mistaken Plague Strike will apply Frost Fever in addition to it's current effects as well in patch 5.2 so the only reasonable usage of Icy Touch will be for dispelling and ask yourselves this; how many classes have any ability that is completely useless without a glyph which still only benefits one aspect of the game?

We're not shamans, we can't consistently spam our dispell button, neither should we becuase that would make us overpowered in addition to our incoming buffs. How often have you seen an enemy with many buffs and failed to dispell the one you wanted? Quite often I assume if you've been using it regularly. Without Chillblains it's essentially a Frost or Dearh Rune being wasted. But if Chains of Ice would dispell we would at least get something else out of a failed attempt. Alternatively Plague Strike could dispell instead as well but it just seems slightly wrong as that ability would not only apply two diseases but also dispell.

Thoughts on this?

Link to my original post: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6444175006#1
    This would be awesome! I think the only concern would be using this Glyph along with Chillbains, as it would be the Shaman equivalent of tacking a purge effect onto Frost Shock. Now, I don't know if having an ability that purges as well as roots & slows would be OP. But, maybe, it wouldn't be.

Under ideal situations, I'd love to see a change like this happening. I don't see any immediate issues with such a design, except its potential to be overpowered. IDK, but I like it
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Possibly the stupidest idea in this forum, but... What if icy touch wastes only HALF frost rune?

Quote Originally Posted by Nezia View Post
    Possibly the stupidest idea in this forum, but... What if icy touch wastes only HALF frost rune?
    You're the only one that seems to think that way. Making it cost half a Frost Rune would be overpowered. We're all here to talk and I'll respect all opinions, but please tell me why you feel this way. What's your argument?

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    This would be awesome! I think the only concern would be using this Glyph along with Chillbains, as it would be the Shaman equivalent of tacking a purge effect onto Frost Shock. Now, I don't know if having an ability that purges as well as roots & slows would be OP. But, maybe, it wouldn't be.

Under ideal situations, I'd love to see a change like this happening. I don't see any immediate issues with such a design, except its potential to be overpowered. IDK, but I like it
    Indeed Chillblain could make this a bit too powerful but if a glyph + specced talent is required in order to make this work this way maybe it'll be ok.

You're the only one that seems to think that way. Making it cost half a Frost Rune would be overpowered. We're all here to talk and I'll respect all opinions, but please tell me why you feel this way. What's your argument?
    Actually I was talking talking about my idea, not yours lol.

Death Siphon should dispell! that would work.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Whats wrong with Icy touch and glyph? Seems to be very good come 5.2 for unholy reaping. Death rune conversion on range + dispel. With chillblains an ensnare too and chains of ice provides a root.

If all, chillblains should be baseline to make chains of ice not reduntant. I like the Glyph as is, but in PvP its too mandatory, though.