Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Affliction - Too Many Procs

Theory is to reapply your dots after intellect procs or trinket use. Now here is the problem..

Cellestial Int Proc - Trinket
    Jade Spirit Proc - Weapon
    Lightweave Proc - Cloak
    On Use - Trinket
    On Use - Dark Soul

I can match-up one proc (celestial), with macro and cast DS and pop trinket now what about the other two? There many occasions when I spend more time re-casting dots than MG channeling which I know is hurting my dps . Suggestions on maximization would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Havoclord View Post
    Theory is to reapply your dots after intellect procs or trinket use. Now here is the problem..

Lightweave Proc - Cloak
    On Use - Trinket
    On Use - Dark Soul

I can match-up one proc (celestial), with macro and cast DS and pop trinket now what about the other two? There many occasions when I spend more time re-casting dots than MG channeling which I know is hurting my dps . Suggestions on maximization would be appreciated
    Use felflame.

Affdots can help when worth it or not redot your dots.

Deleted
    Suggestions on maximization would be appreciated
    What the other 2 have said, plus getting an addon for / a feel for ICDs.

Plenty of times one trinket will proc, you could reapply now, but anothe trinket is coming off ICD soon - better to wait a few seconds and refresh with both than blowing a GCD on refreshing once and then having another proc.

Deleted

Lightweave Proc - Cloak
    On Use - Trinket
    On Use - Dark Soul

AffDots, as recommended above, tells you whether a refresh is worth it based on how powerful your existing DoTs are, and where you are in relation to the pandemic window.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    What the other 2 have said, plus getting an addon for / a feel for ICDs.

Plenty of times one trinket will proc, you could reapply now, but anothe trinket is coming off ICD soon - better to wait a few seconds and refresh with both than blowing a GCD on refreshing once and then having another proc.
    Add-on for the ICD's is a possiblity. Have Affdots and will have to watch it more closely to wtahc what it does when I hit the proc bonanza.

Fel Flame NOT an option as it refreshes what is already applied to extend it. If an item procs using fel flame does little more than waste mana and cause some damage. I use Fel Flame to refresh when I get supped up dots

Fel Flame NOT an option as it refreshes what is already applied to extend it. If an item procs using fel flame does little more than waste mana and cause some damage. I use Fel Flame to refresh when I get supped up dots
    You have it backwards. If Fel Flame worked the way you thought it did we would only use Fel Flame. Fel Flame refreshes with your current procs.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    You have it backwards. If Fel Flame worked the way you thought it did we would only use Fel Flame. Fel Flame refreshes with your current procs.
    I think we just said the same thing - maybe. Fel Flame refreshes your current DoTs on your target, if something procs it is not part of those DoTs you have to recast the DoTs for it to update. The exception to that is Haunt as Haunt is a debuff not a buff. So hitting fel flame when something procs without applying fresh dots does not benefit.

Proc - cast corruption, UA, fel flame to extend , proc recast dots, fel flame to extend

not Proc - cast corruption UA, fel flame to extend , proc fel flame

Deals 762 to 841 (+ 75% of SpellPower) Shadowflame damage to an enemy and increases the duration of Corruption and UA by 6 sec. It does not reapply the dot, it extends current

Deleted
    I think we just said the same thing - maybe.
    No you didn't. Fel Flame updates your dots based on the procs active when Fel Flame is cast. Rustjive is right.

Deals 762 to 841 (+ 75% of SpellPower) Shadowflame damage to an enemy and increases the duration of Corruption and UA by 6 sec. It does not reapply the dot, it extends current
    It's very easy to test - just apply Corruption, then MG until something procs, then Fel Flame. Your Corruption damage will change.

It's like I said - if this wasn't the case then you would just get huge procs at the start of the fight and then extend them throughout with Fel Flame. It's not, so we don't.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Deleted

Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    It's very easy to test - just apply Corruption, then MG until something procs, then Fel Flame. Your Corruption damage will change.

It's like I said - if this wasn't the case then you would just get huge procs at the start of the fight and then extend them throughout with Fel Flame. It's not, so we don't.
    Well thanks for clearing that out, was thinking of it a while ago aswell but it always slipped my mind to look into it.
    Fel flame used to work like mentioned though but it was rather nasty when you had new procs but you could maintain
    buffed dots for longer.

As for saying we would all use felflame to keep those buffed dots up, NO. After a few times you won't be able to keep it up.
    But that was at the point they introduced fel flame, so yeah. Thx for pointing that out

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP - download extracd. if one thing procs and another is gonna proc soon, delay your refresh

Deleted
    Fel Flame refreshes your UA/Corr with the buffs you have active. (Just tested. Initial Corr 8,2k after procs 11,3(Reapplied with FF, ofc..)).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenEU View Post
    Well thanks for clearing that out, was thinking of it a while ago aswell but it always slipped my mind to look into it.
    Fel flame used to work like mentioned though but it was rather nasty when you had new procs but you could maintain
    buffed dots for longer.

As for saying we would all use felflame to keep those buffed dots up, NO. After a few times you won't be able to keep it up.
    But that was at the point they introduced fel flame, so yeah. Thx for pointing that out
    What are you talking about? None of anything you have said is even close to accurate.

Deleted
    If I apply all my dots without any procs or cooldowns popped and I then pop all my cooldowns and my trinkets proc and whatnot, my dot will do roughly 150% more damage (100%+150%). With hero ontop of it probably 210%. Just random information.

The idea of affliction is to keep your dots buffed for as long as you can, this means buffing them by refreshing them somehow as soon as your things procced (delay if more procs are coming, depending on the strength of the buff) and then refreshing them again before the buffs fall off.
    What you need to do this effectively is:
    A way to watch your buffs easily, I use ForteXorcist for this.
    Knowing the internal cooldown of your proc trinkets as well as your Dark Soul ++.

A bonus that I too recommend is AffDots, this just makes life easier.

And about Fel Flame. It refreshes your dots just the same as applying UA or Corruption all over would, albeit only 6 seconds rather than 50% of the full duration. If your UA and Corruption are close to the Pandemic area, then refreshing manually is preferred. It's better to clip a few ticks and get a fresh set of fully buffed dots than to lose fully buffed dots soon after the procs fell off.

Get rid of procs and use on-use trinkets. Makes it feel a lot less random.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Get rid of procs and use on-use trinkets. Makes it feel a lot less random.
    That's not an option. For starters plain stat trinkets or enchants don't exist in any endgame environment atm. Be that PVE or PVP. Additionally the affliction warlock probably benefits more from procs than any other class, due to our crazy duration on crazily buffed dots and the way Malefic/Drain works with these.

heatsink is the addon of my choice, it shows timer bars for inner cds of everything. (works for setboni, trinkets, engi tinkers, cloak enchants from tailors, even a macroed in puzzled box of yog saron, prepot are shown)

Affdots.

Welcome to 1st on DPS meter.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    heatsink is the addon of my choice, it shows timer bars for inner cds of everything. (works for setboni, trinkets, engi tinkers, cloak enchants from tailors, even a macroed in puzzled box of yog saron, prepot are shown)
    Thanks will try Heatsink. And as a response to others I stand corrected on Felflame about updating stats on procs. If timing is off and I don't have the ability to SB/SS it saves one GCD. I still have to apply ag as it doesn't refresh that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 11:32 AM ----------

I use Affdots already, very handy. I had to learn to worry about the numbers first and the colours second.