10+ Year Old Account

Win 8 cheap, SSD adapter and PSU advice ordering now nearly there!

Right should hopefully be final questions I need to ask in Forum, as I'm about to order last parts tonight to hopefully be able to build my first PC this weekend!

I did a search but cannot find who commented on the Windows 8 upgrade. Something along the lines of you can download windows 7 without activation key, then just buy the Windows 8 upgrade and have it fully working, for nearly half the price of buying Windows 7.

I just want to know how do you go about this? Download it from a torrent site? Or official download?
    Also I take it the Windows 8 to upgrade to is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-...879619&sr=8-1?

Now I apologise for how many questions I've asked over last couple of months, but plans have kept changing!

I've also asked about a power supply for cross firing HD7850s, but now want to have a recommendation for running just a single HD7850 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    It's going to be running on an MSI Z77 mobo, with an I5 3570k CPU.
    I'd prefer a link to a PSU from Amazon.co.uk as trying to order it in a bundle.
    Guessing a 450w would run it fine? If a couple of links from that site can be shown to me would appreciate it! Aiming for cheap but reliable PSU please. It also needs to run 4 fans from the case.

Finally, I'm ordering an SSD Crucial M4, I'm guessing this comes as a single item, so what do I need to order from amazon to be able to fit it to the setup IE cables? I'm guessing a Sata cable and something else?
    Edit: I'm guessing this is what I need? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com...881117&sr=8-15

Thanks in advance, about to place the order and quite excited to build it
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2013-01-22 at 07:14 PM.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

15+ Year Old Account
    the only thing you need to mount the SSD is the bracket like the one you have. the motherboard should have sata cables with it and the PSU will have sata connectors

i'd get a 550W psu if you have plans to run two cards at any point, otherwise a 450W will be fine for a single card
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you!
    I take it all PSUs (aiming at the likes of XFX or Antec) will have more than enough connectors for a single card set up? With 4 fans.
    Eventually in a few months time I shall upgrade PSU for a second card, but just doing what I can currently.

Anyone else know about the windows 8 and how I go about using a non activated win 7 to then buy win8 upgrade?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    about windows 8 the right and legal way to get the 15$ upgrade is to download windows 8 customer preview by a torrent install than upgrade whit legit key
    Last edited by holyevil44; 2013-01-22 at 07:41 PM.

Don't think you need the SSD Adapter. Specs for the Z11 case show:

External 5.25" Drive Bays

External 3.5" Drive Bays
    1 (Convertible 1 x Internal 3.5" or 1 x 2.5" SSD)

Internal 3.5" Drive Bays

Internal 2.5" Drive Bays

Expansion Slots

Have a look at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1950/5/
    Last edited by Dizey; 2013-01-22 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah I deleted and made it into a thread since was off topic! Thanks I shall get rid of the adapter then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Which Z77 board exactly, because certain models dont support crossfire.

Also, the easiest way to get WIn8 is to download and install the Win 7 x64 iso from here. Just skip the activation key, get into Win7, and then upgrade to Win8 from there, which should come to 39.99. You can then do a clean install.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noooo Chazus, you amazing being you, I thought it was you who suggested it in another thread, but now it's too late as didn't see your post when I've just ordered it all hehe. Another thread I started I ended up going for the win 8 OEM instead, and a 660. Motherboard supports both SLI and Crossfire
    Thanks anyway! Also thank you generally as I've often read your posts in other threads and used them to determine what I was aiming for in my build!

Deleted
    If that genuinely does work then you can upgrade Windows 7 to 8 for £24.99. Here is the link. Offer ends on the 31st of Jan

@Lapetos a saving of £45 is well worth it. Just cancel your entire Ebuyer order (you still have time) and reorder your items again.

Have you tried this yourself Chaz? It seems like an awfully good loophole, too good to be true!
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-22 at 10:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it through PayPal though, won't it double charge me?

Deleted
    Not if you cancel your order first and get that confirmed. I can't answer that with 100% certainty but you should be able to cancel your order no matter what payment service you use.

So cancel first, get it confirmed and then create a new shopping basket without windows 8. I'd still like to know whether or not what Chaz has written about the Windows 8 upgrade still works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Payments already been taken from PayPal. And refunds take a few days usually, to which PayPal would take out my bank account before then and I've not got enough in my account for them both to hit even if I'm refunded in a few days!
    Ill bite the bullet and pay for my mistake! Thanks anyway the rest was real useful! Really am like a little child excited for his new toy to be built!

Deleted
    I know the feeling, I hope all goes smoothly!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I pretend I never knew about it it won't hurt as much. To be honest though I've had an upgrade of what I was gonna buy for a cheaper price, I can't complain! Thank you again mate!