Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    game looks amazing and i love Studio Ghibli.. ill have to try and borrow a ps3 from someone.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Holy crap is this game good. I've sunk quite a bit of time into it, and I can earnestly say this is one of the best RPGs to come out in many years. Completely blows Skyrim, ME3 and FFXIII out of the water. It's up there with Xenoblade as best RPG of this generation. I honestly haven't been this hooked on a game in a long time.
    You can't really compare Ni no Kuni to things like Mass Effect or Skyrim. JRPGs and western RPGs are really two different genres that just tend to get lumped together because they both contain the words 'role playing.'

That being said, while I agree that it's definitely among the best JRPG of this generation, that's not saying much. There haven't been that many JRPGs in the past few years, let alone really good ones. What's it's competition? Tales of Vesperia? Radiant Historia maybe? On an intellectual level I have to wonder how much of my love for Ni no Kuni is because it's really that good (and it is, don't get me wrong) and how much is because it's been so long since I've seen a good new traditional JRPG.

Somewhat unrelated, am I the only one who wasn't all that impressed with Xenoblade? It wasn't bad, but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seemed to think I should. The setting was cool but overall I found the game to be pretty mediocre.
    Last edited by Brightamethyst; 2013-01-28 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing annoying me is that all the monsters run away from me.

GET BACK HERE I WANT TO CAPTURE YOU!

AND HUG YOU.

AND CALL YOU GEORGE.

I'll admit it; I took a triple-take after beating a Tokotoko. ~9k experience from one fight is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Mekanikos; 2013-01-29 at 12:57 PM.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanikos View Post
    the only thing annoying me is that all the monsters run away from me.

Get back here i want to capture you!

And hug you.

And call you george.
    stop!!!

I have candy!

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I come from a generation where RPG meant RPG. I understand some of the younger folks (or "hip" older folks) these days make a big deal about how the nation of origin for a game makes a big deal.
    I come from that generation too and I didn't agree with it then either.

It's not about nation of origin. It's about the style of game and storytelling method. Nation of origin is just a convenient way of differentiating the two styles because for the most part it holds up. Aside from having a fantasy setting and a level up system of sorts how is Final Fantasy even remotely in the same genre as The Elder Scrolls? They're two completely different types of game.

don't get me wrong, I can see that viewpoint. I just don't agree with it. You level up, you explore, you role play a character or multiple characters...that's an RPG in my mind.
    Doth Resident Evil and Call of Duty involve shooting stuff. Does that put them into the same genre? Should we just call everything with a gun in it a shooter, like it's that simple?

Besides, pretty much every game these days has characters, a story, and some sort of level system. That hasn't been exclusive to RPGs in a long time. Your description there fits Batman: Arkham City to a T. Does that make it an RPG?

On a side note, that's probably why RPGs have fallen out of favor over the past few years. Now that graphics have evolved to the point where good looking cut-scenes and movies are available to everyone in every kind of game, RPGs no longer hold the monopoly on narrative. Anyone can tell a story even in a shooter or a platformer or whatever. (also, most people prefer faster paced action which is why most of the recent JRPGs have had a more action oriented battle system.)

10+ Year Old Account
    So for grinding familiar levels Perdida seems to be the place to go. Toss on Veil, run all the way down the path 'til you reach the big clearing, tagging the Tokotokos (green fuzzballs holding staves), and then cast Travel back to Perdida to get all the spawns to refresh. 8-9k xp per solo Tokotoko, ~17k for two.

Veil's a guaranteed ambush, hooray, but if you get two, odds are you'll only down one before they start moving, and given half a chance, the fuzzy bags of xp will bolt to the edge to escape, so be ready to switch to Pulse to interrupt their escape. You'll probably want to use smaller familiars as well, cause the big ones tend to get in the way... Stupid Bone Baron has a massive hit box and my Puss in Boats is too stupid to run around him.

On another note: this game is way too damn fun.
    Last edited by Mekanikos; 2013-01-31 at 11:03 AM.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Deleted
    This game is insanely awesome.

Even grinding familiar levels is pure fun and the evolving is pure genius.Anyone else have a addiction for using the mite and the Draggle? The Draggle is a beast after about level 8.

Deleted
    So i finally got the game yesterday, damn you swedish postal service for being late (yes, it was supposed to arrive friday last week).

I have to say its great. Like pokemon and zelda combined. Only thing that annoys me is the major handholding. Cutscene: "Oh i almost forgot to tell you, you can use the right stick to turn the camera!" ...YOU DONT SAY!
    "The mouse is the clue retard, i shall explain to you why!" Well, gee, thanks, i figured that out the moment i saw the damn mouse >.<

But overall i like the game. Will be fun to see how it is once its a bit less hand-holdy (ive heard it continues for a while and then its pretty much open world shizzle).

Deleted
    PS3 only. sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing now and it rules...Also BOW BEFORE MY WHITE WITCH EDITION LOL

Deleted
    cant get enough from the boss battle theme :3 so fitting.

has this "big mean enemy" tune and then this "heroic" ending.
    Last edited by mmoc7c08c42f71; 2013-02-07 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    cant get enough from the boss battle theme :3 so fitting.

has this "big mean enemy" tune and then this "heroic" ending.
    Funny enough my favorite song right now is the world map tune. I find myself whistling along to it nonstop.

Does anyone know of a game similar to this on the PC?

10+ Year Old Account
    The post-game stuff was kinda nifty. Missing a few pages in my Companion, though, so I have to wonder what I'm missing; perhaps when I finish the progress report I'll get a few more pages added.

Puss-in-boats was my favorite familiar, despite being low on the attack-power scale (~330 with the 25 point treat bonus). Getting the materials to make the high-end treats is a pain, however. Anyone find an easier way to obtain fairy chocolate and frost bonbons?
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Question about Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [Spoilers?]

So.. I just left the area with Ding Dong Castle or whatever.. and I am now in the Desert zone about to do the Trail.. Thing is I am only level 12.. and my friends level 19 o-O I've done all side missions in first area and can kill everything no problem.. I grinded them for a while but receive sht exp.. I tried grinding on the mobs in the desert area and they kick my ass..

I'm not sure what I did wrong here o-O wheres a good place to grind before doing trail.. and what level should I be...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    I tried grinding on the mobs in the desert area and they kick my ass..

I'm not sure what I did wrong here o-O wheres a good place to grind before doing trail.. and what level should I be...
    Pick your battles in the desert; the banana-bunch looking things can whip your ass in a hurry. The little turban guys, lightshades, skeletons, and suns should be easy enough to kill. Consider spending some ( a lot?) of money on chocolate to boost your Mite's attack, or go and tame a cheetah cub or skeleton (you got Esther, I assume by friend). Fast attacking familiars can stun lock mobs for most of the fight, so I'd try to find some with 4-5 star attack speed.

While you're grinding, make sure to pay attention to the familiars you do capture; if they have double elements as their affinity I believe it means they get better stat growth and are more resistant to certain effects. It goes into detail in your Companion.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Deleted
    So I spend some time playing this game and this is probably the game of the decade in my opinion. Its confusing, there is lots of stuff I dont like about the game yet I think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

For those of you who have played the game longer than me is there a way to make familiars "puke" so you can feed them better food down the line? I also heard there was some DLC familiar for europe players but I havent been able to download it, anyone who can help me?
    Last edited by mmocaa84e3d5fa; 2013-02-12 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    So I spend some time playing this game and this is probably the game of the century in my opinion. Its confusing, there is lots of stuff I dont like about the game yet I think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

For those of you who have played the game longer than me is there a way to make familiars "puke" so you can feed them better food down the line? I also heard there was some DLC familiar for europe players but I havent been able to download it, anyone who can help me?
    Finished the game, and to my knowledge there is no way to re-roll the stats you've raised. Capturing a new familiar seems to be the only way to go, unless I completely missed something.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    So I spend some time playing this game and this is probably the game of the century in my opinion. Its confusing, there is lots of stuff I dont like about the game yet I think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

As for the DLC if you go to the latest add ons on the ps3 store and scroll down you will find them it';s the golden hurly and draggle(i recommend the draggle as it does have high exp requirements but it is a literal beast in battles).

Deleted

Very blurry graphics...

Be merciful, I'm no troll...I have the PAL version of Ni No Kuni and when I started to play it today for the first time, I was shocked how blurry the image was...My PS3 is hooked up to my 40 inch fullhd tv with HDMI and I've checked all the resolutions in the XMB. The game literally looked like it was a PS2 game and I was truly shocked after I had read that it's the most gorgeous game of this console generation...=/ I paid full price for the game and it pains me that the graphics are so horrible...The game itself is wonderful...And no, I'm not sitting right in front of my tv, the distance is 8-9 feet.

I've tried the game also with a plasma tv and two different pc monitors, all looked very blurry and non HD. I've read that the game renders in 1024x768 or something like that, so I'm not sure if the low resolution is the culprit here...but people with fullhd tv:s have said that it looks gorgeous...so I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this awful blurriness?=/