Windows not responding when turning on PC

Ok so yesterday was a normal day I was browsing the gears of war forums and was about to leave to take my daughter to class, so i shut down my computer it had 1 update and that was it.

When I got home I turned it back on and it loads into the desktop but I notice that steam did not launch.. I tried to launch it with no luck, windows came up with an error, something about application did not have a timely response.

I was able to launch Ventrilo, but when I tried a game, steam, or firefox no dice. Nothing is loading and its just causing windows to freeze, then it asks me if I want to close windows cause its not responding....

then I turn off my pc and get a headache cause I don't know were to even start =(

(posted via laptop -.-)

I did a quick system restore to a point that was 2 days old, did not help.

that is the extent of what i have tired so far, the computer and windows runs fine in safemode + networking support.
    Last edited by Barcasaur; 2013-01-23 at 09:05 AM. Reason: additional information

quick advice is backup want you want to keep and re install windows.
    the OS should be either on itd own drive or partition. for the ease of 'reformating '
    also get an ssd for faster boot times on start up and games
    i personally don't do updates for windows but rather install a new service pack in needed.
    if you have any queries in regards to formatting ask a friend or google
    let us know how you go

I have a "get me by" computer, and I don't see any point in the near future were ill be able to get something better.

I get by, I play some games, keep up with what I want. But everything is on one drive.

The only thing i back up is my music files which i already have on an external drive, everything else is easily just re-downloaded, steam client, games, browser, itunes, and that about wraps it up.

I really don't want to have to do this, and then have the issue be hardware related and just have wasted my time.

I ran malwarebytes in safe mode, it found 2 things out of a trillion, got rid of them, but once i restarted the same thing happend this time the screen was black for a longer time frame. it loads into windows, no programs work and when i try to restart or turn off it hangs up and will not close/restart.

Running in safemode everything that is allowed to run functions as normal.

Should I really just jump to re-installing windows? and if that is the best case scenario I will be the first to admit, ill need assistance as to how to do it properly.

Sounds like you might be having some issues with your HDD.
    Download CrystalDiskInfo and see if you get any warnings.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Out of all the trouble-shooting you can have to do to find the problem, re-installing Windows is probably the one that takes the least amount of time. Make sure to back-up any data you don't want to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Sounds like you might be having some issues with your HDD.
    Download CrystalDiskInfo and see if you get any warnings.
    I got this program and it says the health status is good, with no warnings, and a lot of technobabble type data =3

Well then, the easiest way to possibly fix the issues is as the others have said just doing a clean install of Windows.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Well i hate to be a bother, but the community (mmo-champ!) never fails when it comes to helping out, Iv had questions in the past and been very pleased with the help I have got.

All I know is I am going to back up anything I want to keep on my available external drive, if you or anyone could link me or just briefly explain how I should go about this, so I don't do anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    Well i hate to be a bother, but the community (mmo-champ!) never fails when it comes to helping out, Iv had questions in the past and been very pleased with the help I have got.

All I know is I am going to back up anything I want to keep on my available external drive, if you or anyone could link me or just briefly explain how I should go about this, so I don't do anything wrong.
    If you are worried about backing up some kind of database or stuff like that from inside a special program most program have an option to export, save as or backup things.
    Otherwise I would just copy the files over as you would normally copy any file, Just keep stuff like music, movies, pictures, bookmarks, you probably know better than anyone else of what kind of things you would like to keep.

Just start by going through all the things you usually use the computer for and when you find something you can't figure out how to handle just post a question here.

I am sorry, I worded that badly, I can handle backing up what I want to keep.

But where do i start when reformatting / re-installing windows, I have no disc's available nothing like that came with this computer.

Just a basic gateway dx series desktop, with a new psu and video card i tossed into it.

Look in the manual, does it say anything about a "Recovery Partition"?

Tried a system restore yet? To the day before yesterday (when you updated). I had a problem once where I updated and the next restart my PC slowed down so much it took 10 mins to start up. I was able to get to system restore page and it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariselia View Post
    Tried a system restore yet? To the day before yesterday (when you updated). I had a problem once where I updated and the next restart my PC slowed down so much it took 10 mins to start up. I was able to get to system restore page and it worked for me.
    i tried a restore, no dice.

@Butler Log: Manual... time to go digging i guess........ =(

EDIT:

I found the Gateway recovery management application, I can burn the disc's from that and then use the "completely restore system to factory defaults" option i presume?

EDIT 2: I went thru with the compleate re-install, and everything is working normally, At least its a fresh start, my computer has had one to many hiccups in the past to count. thanks for the replys everyone.
    Last edited by Barcasaur; 2013-01-23 at 04:49 PM.