Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Change in direction

How does everyone feel about the change from "Wow that player may be undergeared, but he sure is a good player. Totally outplayed me" to "Wow, that 1200 player may have back peddled the entire game, lost track of me because he turned in a circle, overlapped CCs for 100% of their duration...but he's been capping arenas every week since launch and outgears me so I guess he wins." Bring the "this is a troll thread" comments as I know their coming. Hopefully we get some true feedback if people agree/disagree. I for one ( as by my post) am not entirely pleased. I'm very alt based and have played many seasons between 2k and 2300. And I find it disgusting that I can be killed by any low rated players on my fresh characters no matter how much I outplay them in a fight.

most if not all mmos are gear based. if you want skills go play CoD. sad but true. you might also want to look for tera when it goes f2p. then you can dodge and stuff.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I do agree, most MMO's are geared based...it was just never this severe. I mean, you could go grab honor gear and the difference between seasonal gear was enough to matter, but not enough that it overpowered skill. That's how it feels right now. Just trying to see if its people agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this entirely.

Having done multiple arena seasons from BC until a few minutes ago, I can honestly say that the introduction of PvP power, and the removal of required rating for certain gear, is probably the worst idea Blizz has ever had.

I get that their idea was to make it "more accessible" for more people to PvP and get decent season gear. However, what that REALLY means, is that despite being able to feverishly 2v1 people on my rogue during Wrath, and even parts of Cataclysm, now, if someone has been doing Arenas longer than you, they automatically win, despite any skill level involved.

Every previous expansion, it was possible (albeit still difficult) to outplay someone, based on your knowledge of class mechanics, typical player mistakes, and overall skill, even when they outgeared you. Gear made it DIFFICULT, but not IMPOSSIBLE to outplay someone.

Now, it has become impossible.

I also vote for a change in direction, because Blizzard is slowly killing their own game with "improvements" that only frustrate the 7 year veterans among us. When Burning Crusade launched, Wrath Launched, hell, even Cata launche, God damn Blizzard had a great game with a great PvP balance.

Had.

aah then i miss understood:P. yea its abnormal atm. and it will be that way untill blizzard nerfs ilvls to tbc based. this can bring everyting under controll. sadly they didn't do that for MoP

Deleted
    Gear dependency is a must have in a game that is impossible to balance. Imagine someone who has capped since launch losing only because his class was nerfed and the enemy class was a fotm-reroller. wow is a mmo, mmo's are gear dependent, you need to invest time and patience to get gear. See where im going?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see where you're going and its the complete opposite side of the table. Imagine going into a random battleground, happy that your brand new level 90 rogue can finally start getting some gear. You come across a random level, oh for the sake of ignoring pet classes, a level 90 boomkin. You follow the druid, noticing he's slow at decision making on ability choices and movement. Popping defensive cooldowns takes him to near the end of CC. You attack him. he keyboard turns to face you, waits 3 seconds and uses typhoon, then begins to backpedal. He begins to start using moonfire. And moonfire....and moonfire...Well even though you have 2200 experience, or even 1900 experience, and you can clearly see this druid is not someone that is capable of playing high end arena...you're hopeless in this fight. He's been capping points since the beginning of the season and just has too much gear over you.

Nothing to do with the class, or face roller specs. No nerfs, not hotfixes, no bugs with abilities. Nothing broken with mechanics whatsoever. The only issue the majority of players are consistently coming across is that its entirely too difficult to gear up alts if you start late. Sure this "mid season cap" will ensure that if you can drop hours to get a 10k point cap at week 10 you'll be caught up...but why should any player have to be put through that on every alt? If anything, and Blizzard wants to continue this gear difference for whatever justified reason they have, you should be allowed to use your currency between characters. I understand they were worried about jumping too fast with gear, but getting geared was always a speedbump on the way up the hill. Now you have to climb a mountain to start climbing another mountain. Who would enjoy that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelekona View Post
    I see where you're going and its the complete opposite side of the table. Imagine going into a random battleground, happy that your brand new level 90 rogue can finally start getting some gear. You come across a random level, oh for the sake of ignoring pet classes, a level 90 boomkin. You follow the druid, noticing he's slow at decision making on ability choices and movement. Popping defensive cooldowns takes him to near the end of CC. You attack him. he keyboard turns to face you, waits 3 seconds and uses typhoon, then begins to backpedal. He begins to start using moonfire. And moonfire....and moonfire...Well even though you have 2200 experience, or even 1900 experience, and you can clearly see this druid is not someone that is capable of playing high end arena...you're hopeless in this fight. He's been capping points since the beginning of the season and just has too much gear over you.

Nothing to do with the class, or face roller specs. No nerfs, not hotfixes, no bugs with abilities. Nothing broken with mechanics whatsoever. The only issue the majority of players are consistently coming across is that its entirely too difficult to gear up alts if you start late. Sure this "mid season cap" will ensure that if you can drop hours to get a 10k point cap at week 10 you'll be caught up...but why should any player have to be put through that on every alt? If anything, and Blizzard wants to continue this gear difference for whatever justified reason they have, you should be allowed to use your currency between characters. I understand they were worried about jumping too fast with gear, but getting geared was always a speedbump on the way up the hill. Now you have to climb a mountain to start climbing another mountain. Who would enjoy that?

You start as weak and you grow in power the more you play, i think it's pretty logic no? When my alt will ding 90 i will play carefully, wont go solo in bg's and will play more of a assisting role till i got the honor gear set (which wont take long at all). Full blues is all you need atm in random bg's to play well and have fun.
    Last edited by mmoc9725088499; 2013-01-23 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    You start as weak and you grow in power the more you play, i think it's pretty logic no? When my alt will ding 90 i will play carefully, wont go solo in bg's and will play more of a assisting role till i got the honor gear set (which wont take long at all). Full blues is all you need atm in random bg's to play well and have fun.
    you should increase in both skills and gear. where skill should be the main upgrade. but atm gear gives to big a upgrade compaire to skills. but then again. its more global arena/rated bg skills/knowledge that matters then class/spec skills. because all classes are not really that hard to play well.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    But you can't go into an arena and expect the other team to leave you alone because you're playing carefully. The reason you gave is a solution to the change. The main objective, at least from my end, is to find out of there are others that agree that this change was not in the right direction. Obviously just complaining and expecting things to revert back to the way they were isnt expected, that would never happen. But lets look at what Blizzard has done for alts in PvE. get Valor capped on one character, the rest of your characters earn valor 50% faster. Why not impliment something of that nature for pvpers? For example "When one character has received conquest cap for the week, all other characters receive X% more honor." Or with the new seasonal conquest point cap reward "When X amount of conquest points have been awarded for the season, all characters on your account my now buy Tyrannical glad gear for honor."

Valor capping isn't the only thing that is hard and time consuming. I for one have every class at 85+, and have pushed off leveling my alts for the sheer fact of having to basically afk battlegrounds to get geared, to only work my ass off to beat a team that put up a fight due to gear. Like I said, these are just some examples that could improve the pvp experience for players that don't just focus on one or two characters.

I agree with OP, the PVP game is more gear-depending than ever before. Not a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I had written a long and extensive response that never got approved by a moderator (for whatever reason)

So instead of retyping that entire thing, I'll just say this:

PvP power was the worst idea Blizz has ever had.