Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

[Megathread] Age of Wushu Sandbox MMORPG

April 10th Launch
    Age of Wushu is a sandbox mmorpg developed and published by Snailgames. AoW has already been released in China and boost 20 million players. The American release is scheduled for 1st qt 2013, and is currently in beta. AoW will be F2P with subscription options.

Features include-
    FFA pvp
    Impressive criminal/constable system.
    Bounties, kidnaping, jail, prison, and beheading,
    Completely player driven economy.
    Lots of professions from calligraphy to fishing and farming complete with minigames

AoW is set in Ming era old China grounded in actual locations and lore.

8 schools guide
    Age of Wushu Official Site
    MASSIVELY.com articles
    31 pages of reviews on Steam

NEWS

Day and night/weather systems

Early morning, morning, noon, evening, night light rain, moderate rain, thunderstorms, sand storms (will change desert design)

Game will change seasons according to season in server location, sun and moon eclipses.

Weather will have impact on gathering/harvesting system, snow will reduce growth time and amount of items, some styles will be weaker during winter some during summer
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-04-03 at 08:06 PM.

I think it has been greenlit on Steam, no?

Also, aren't those 20 millions in China some typo?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

No gimmicks in the videos you see. Yes, you can fly. I've been playing since CB1, everyday is something new. It doesn't get much better than this.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 09:03 PM ----------

It was put up for greenlight last week.

I'll link the article to the 20 million comment. Here
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-01-23 at 09:11 PM.

Can you construct buildings? Shape the land (cutting trees, planting stuff, terraforming)? Take other roles than fighting? Can you destroy buildings and/or kill NPCs? Do you simply buy/receive gear from NPCs or is everything crafted by players?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Deleted
    I saw this some time ago. I'd like to give it a try, but after seeing that PvP video I can't help but think that the movement of the characters while performing combat moves looks really bad at certain points.

I will keep an eye out for this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Can you construct buildings? Shape the land (cutting trees, planting stuff, terraforming)? Take other roles than fighting? Can you destroy buildings and/or kill NPCs? Do you simply buy/receive gear from NPCs or is everything crafted by players?
    There are open world guild keeps that you can build up.

No terraforming, but yes you can cut down trees and plant crops. Not every tree though think of them like nodes.

Yes, you can take on other roles. I consider myself a diehard pvpr, but I will find myself crafting for the better part of the week sometimes.

Yes guild keeps can be destroyed

Everything is crafted. No man is an island in AoW you need other professions/players to complete the vast majority of items.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trops View Post
    I saw this some time ago. I'd like to give it a try, but after seeing that PvP video I can't help but think that the movement of the characters while performing combat moves looks really bad at certain points.

I will keep an eye out for this, though.
    Remember all combat animations are motion capture, with almost all done by martial arts masters as seen in the second video.

Downlaoded this last night and giving it a try today. The PvP vids looked a bit weird but just from the feature list it seems worth a try.

You mean you can try it now? Isn't the beta only for people who preordered?

You mean you can try it now? Isn't the beta only for people who preordered?
    Yep you can get in now. For this CB, there is a funky 10 hours, then 1 hour each day for unpaid accounts. This restriction will end after this CB. The crazy thing is, this is only beta, but there is more going on and to do, than I think anyone expected. One more thing , there will not be a wipe going forward, so everything counts.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Downlaoded this last night and giving it a try today. The PvP vids looked a bit weird but just from the feature list it seems worth a try.
    Oh it's defiantly different. It's a rock-paper-scissor system. Attacks, Feits, Blocks, with a block button. Another thing is the combat is fought in 3 dimensions. It's the most position oriented combat I've played. Flying is not a gimmick. It's a integral part of combat.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-01-23 at 09:53 PM.

I heard good things about the game and then I heard bad things about the game. More bad then good. Like the combat I heard was pretty bad and the cash shop is also pretty bad.

Obviously from the video PVP is still being tuned. But other than that, this MMO looks tight. I always loved sandbox gameplays; the joy of exploring the world and seeing the vastness of nature,etc.

Edit: Just read that the game has been in the making since '07 http://www.ageofwushu.com/support/ . That's a long time and it looks like they're not in a rush (which is a good thing). From a marketing POV, they seem to be waiting for the perfect time to release a game with little to no competition while also learning from their competitors...which is what I like. A smart gaming company who waits and sees before jumping into the waters.
    Last edited by TidesOfBlood; 2013-01-23 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I heard good things about the game and then I heard bad things about the game. More bad then good. Like the combat I heard was pretty bad and the cash shop is also pretty bad.
    Everywhere I look from steam, to mmorpg, to massively, the good far out weighs the bad. The bad that is spoken of is the translations and the UI. Nearly nothing about game play.

Combat is not WoW/RIFT/SWTOR/GW2. It's something we haven't seen, thus it may not click with everyone. As for the cashshop it's 100% cosmetic. There is a cash to silver conversion system though. Just to give an idea on the demeanor of the cash shop, I spent 10 in GW2, 60 PS2, 10 in TSW. I've spent nothing but 9$ on the closed beta 1 offer on AoW.

Deleted
    What does "FFA pvp" means, free for all?
    Also I dont understand quite the pvp features in this game, please explain =)

Many interesting ideas behind this game, like your character keeps on living when you are offline. Important question, on the guide there is a schedule to plan your day one and continue... seems like quite some time effort in the game, does it mean it's the same ol asian grinds as we know them? As in, not very casual friendly?

And finally, you can download the game now... but seems like it's beta test of game? Will there be character wipes then, or is this actually some kind of beta that will lead so a snuk in launch?

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    There are open world guild keeps that you can build up.

No terraforming, but yes you can cut down trees and plant crops. Not every tree though think of them like nodes.

Yes, you can take on other roles. I consider myself a diehard pvpr, but I will find myself crafting for the better part of the week sometimes.

Yes guild keeps can be destroyed

Everything is crafted. No man is an island in AoW you need other professions/players to complete the vast majority of items.[COLOR="red"]
    Well, calling it sandbox is overusing the word "sandbox". There will be complete world with towns, NPCs, quests and mobs, which you can't really affect. Just because you can be a crafter doesn't mean it's a sandbox. It's a theme park.

Well, calling it sandbox is overusing the word "sandbox". There will be complete world with towns, NPCs, quests and mobs, which you can't really affect. Just because you can be a crafter doesn't mean it's a sandbox. It's a theme park.
    I've never heard anyone say UO isn't a sandbox because it has "towns, npcs, and mobs". Does having quests make the game non sandbox? You can still do what you like.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2013-01-24 at 02:35 AM.

I haven't played UO for longer than 10 minutes, so I can't relate. But having additional possibilities doesn't make a game sandbox. You have different possibilities in GW2 or in WoW as well - pvp, questing, crafting, but those aren't sandboxes. If you call games like wushu sandbox then how do you call games like EVE online, Wurm or Salem where players shape and build the world?

I haven't played UO for longer than 10 minutes, so I can't relate. But having additional possibilities doesn't make a game sandbox. You have different possibilities in GW2 or in WoW as well - pvp, questing, crafting, but those aren't sandboxes. If you call games like wushu sandbox then how do you call games like EVE online, Wurm or Salem where players shape and build the world?
    Slow down procne. Trust me on this one. Age of Wushu is no less of a sandbox than EVE. These are words from massively.com, mmorpg.com, steam, all the way to mmohut.

You might want to dig a little deeper, or maybe even play. You will probably look back on your gw2/wow comparison and laugh. For example I haven't did a quest since the tutorial. There is nothing that you "have to do" in AoW. This a post from a guy back in december.

Quote Originally Posted by tristanryan
    Im a total newbie in AoW but i can help a little.

- Wars. Oh yes. I was even killed twice in my home city this very morning >.< There are also clan wars, school wars, 100% open PvP.
    - Housing. Im not exactly sure on personal housing, but clans can buy their own land, build thier own castles and place things where they like, and much more. (ive only read about this)
    - Terraforming? No, i dont think so. But of course you can harvest things.
    - Crafting is more important than probably any game in recent memory. You even have to eat. You will literally starve to death. Where to buy food? Not from NPCs, go to a city (one of several) and find a player chef selling food. The different crafters are also intertwined deeply. They need each other to make/improve/enchant. You can buy low level gear from vendors, but thats it. Everything else is player made 100%. Edit; Well there are also outfits you can buy in the cash shop im told but my character looks extremely awesome i dont care about those. (yet)
    - A few other notes you may like to hear.
    Painting, calligraphy, farming, poison making, blacksmithing, craftsmen, chef, herbalist, spying, stealing, kidnapping, jail, prison, beheading, bounty hunting and rewards, absolutely amazing graphics and i can max evreything on my shitty pc and literally get 60 FPS, no joke. The ping can get high, but that (obviously) will be fixed in time. Great looking gear and weapons. Stupidly deep combat and skill system, massive, massive, massive world, skill > gear, team practicing < some people dont like it but i think its so freaking cool. Instances that literally take a while to finish (ive never ran one yet but i read 2-3 hours for some) umm so many things to list. Even the water will reflect what is near you in the background quite detailed. Its enough to make you look and think whoa. Umm fishing, hunting. Bribery. Im a shaolin monk so im not supposed to eat meat, drink wine, kidnap, or use prostitutes (yeah, you read that right) i can do these things, but i will have to repent my sins (haha wuuut).

And much much more. Ive only played 2 days.... seriously.
    You make your own path in AoW.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-01-24 at 01:17 PM.

This looks interesting, I'll definitely try it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Simply because of the gorgeous aesthetic, I'm going to have to give this a shot. I'm an absolute sucker for historical Chinese settings and aesthetics. That, and the prospect of having a character that uses a staff as a weapon 'properly' really appeals to me as well.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - The Game.

No but seriously, it looks allright. Seems like the combat would be the thing to set it appart from other MMOs, so it better be smooth and awesome.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."