Looking for advice - New faction, New server, RaF leveling and broke

Hey all, I've got a question I'm hoping some of you experts might have some experience with.

My main has primarily been Alliance since Vanilla. I've dabbled with Horde characters but just abit here and there. Recently some friends new to the game joined my wife and I and we decided to go Horde(Laughing Skull - US) this time around.

We ended up leveling via RaF since we each referred one of our friends we all are leveling insanely fast. We're 83 right now and hope to hit 90 in a week or so. The biggest problem I'm having is a major lack of gold. On my Alliance toons on a different server I have a fairly decent amount of gold and all of the heirloom gear and pretty much every profession across my 10 Ally alts. Being on both a new faction with horrible gear and no gold is really making my first real Horde experience a struggle.

My wife and I both pretty much have open profession slots, but our two friends started leveling some of their professions, this is what we have so far:

Me - 83 Rogue - No professions
    Wife - 83 Prot/Ret Pally - Mining(63) Blacksmithing(60)
    Friend 1 - 83 Disc/Shadow Priest - Enchanting(450) Alchemy(135)
    Friend 2 - 83 Mage - Tailoring(400)

She's a Prot/Ret Pally so she took Mining just to have something but since we leveled so quickly with RaF it's painfully behind, so it could be dropped. I'm a Rogue and really wanted to take Engineering on a PvP server but honestly right now I just need to start building my empire again... from scratch. We're open to whatever professions would be the most profitable with the least amount of investment. Obviously keeping the two higher level professions make sense, the rest can be changed to anything. While questing and dungeoning we've earned about 3k gold and have Azeroth flight(we completely skipped all of Northrend questing so hopefully we won't have to fly around there any time soon).

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for being on a new server with none of your resources to help? Are there specific professions that work better or strategies to use to just get things rolling?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any details.

uhh you guys should be getting tons of gold from quests . What are you spending the gold that you make on ? My guess is riding/mounts/bags ? One way I make money fast on a new realm is by making a JC and then crafting low level jc items ...they sell very well like necks and rings and such . I also farm leveling greens from deadmines and stockades but since your horde you will have to find the equivalent . Low level green items sell pretty well as long as you dont make the price obnoxious .

On the flip side you can farm low level greens and disenchant them and sell the dust . On my realm a stack of the lowest level dust sells for about a gold each and sells well since people are always leveling enchanters . Yo could farm cloth and have the tailor make low level green items to be disenchated and sell the dust ...a lot of options but as far as big pay days that might not come until your profs gets more up there . Anyways when you hit 90 as you know it so easy to make gold .

Quote Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
    uhh you guys should be getting tons of gold from quests . What are you spending the gold that you make on ? My guess is riding/mounts/bags ?
    I suppose I should have been more clear. We leveled with Refer-a-Friend and did about 95% dungeon leveling. We very rarely did any quests because running dungeons was so much faster. We'd do one dungeon and gain 3-4 levels. As for spending we've really not purchased anything extravagant, our tailor made us bags that are fine for now, all we bought really was Outlands flight and Azeroth flight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I roll on a new server, I pick up double gathering and make money off of that while I quest to level.

Someone go get skinning and either herbing or mining, then sell EVERYTHING you get. Ruined leather scraps, fine. Rough stone, fine. I don't know the way the market works on that server, but the best sellers are almost always copper, silver, iron (iron sells cheap usually but you can get a LOT of it quickly which offsets the price being low), and rugged leather. Northrend leathers sell well, too, but you can't fly in NR, so I would not suggest that. I don't usually pick up herbing because herbs, on the servers I play on, tend to be cheaper than ore and are harder to farm (they can be scattered throughout the zone, whereas ore usually has nice hotspots in caves and around mountains.)

If you spend an hour farming every night you should have enough money to sit semi-pretty for some time. You won't be buying anything fantastic, but it will get you (just you, though, at first) 280% flying and once you start questing in Pandaria, if you do quest your way to 90, you will easily have the gold to buy Pandaria flying from just the quests there.

Edit: If you wanna go engy, definitely grab mining and skinning. Once you get some gold, scrap skinning and powerlevel your engy with your maxed mining. And obviously, if you want to save gold... don't buy anything from the AH that you can spare not buying! Since there are 4 of you, do not buy gear upgrades or anything to splash into MoP. Even with shit gear, the four of you should be able to take down MoP mobs fine.

And for when you're 90: Questing at max level awards more gold than while leveling (all the exp turns into gold.) Complete loremaster on every one of your toons. There's like 45k hiding in that if you haven't touched any quests.
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-01-24 at 05:19 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    Whenever I roll on a new server, I pick up double gathering and make money off of that while I quest to level.
    Yeah, some of us attempted this but dungeon leveling was so ridiculously fast that we never really left Org and our gathering is quite behind. We thought about all spending on night to build them up but I thought getting to 90 faster would give us more options for gold(dailies, old quests, Tiller farming, etc) so I was making leveling a priority. Plus the leveling gold is pretty decent.

Someone go get skinning and either herbing or mining, then sell EVERYTHING you get. Ruined leather scraps, fine. Rough stone, fine. I don't know the way the market works on that server, but the best sellers are almost always copper, silver, iron (iron sells cheap usually but you can get a LOT of it quickly which offsets the price being low), and rugged leather
    I just recently made a DK on the server for this purpose. I'm leveling him on the side by myself so it's slow going but I figured I could get both Herb/Mining on him just to have a gatherer.

Edit: If you wanna go engy, definitely grab mining and skinning. Once you get some gold, scrap skinning and powerlevel your engy with your maxed mining. And obviously, if you want to save gold... don't buy anything from the AH that you can spare not buying! Since there are 4 of you, do not buy gear upgrades or anything to splash into MoP. Even with shit gear, the four of you should be able to take down MoP mobs fine.
    I was heavily debating Engineering. Last time I played on a PvP server it was great, now I'm hearing mixed things. Being a Rogue on a PvP server used to almost demand Engy, not so sure anymore. I definitely don't want my Rogue to have Mining, atleast not long term, so I'll either level both Mining and Engy and then drop Mining or try to get my DK up quickly and have him level Herb/Mining and give my Rogue all the ore and then just sell the Herbs(or I guess I could make an Alch/Scribe at that point) outright. I also want to avoid having my main with professions that don't need Spirits for anything. I made that mistake on my Ally server, my main has JC/Enchanting and now that I know most of the cuts I have no use for the tons of Spirits I have on him. So maybe get a skinner and go Engy/LW for a mix of fun, personal buffs, and some Spirit use.

My biggest decision is whether investing time into the professions now to have a solid foundation would be better that quick turn-around selling of mats. If I had a way of making some modest gold while leveling the professions I would level my crafting profs but right now maybe it's better to build up a big stockpile first. Decision, decisions...

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy pets on your old server, cage them on new server and sell on AH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with double gathering for now. Check the auction house and see what materials sell well. With CRZ now, gathering is a bit more of a chore but as a result, the prices have bumped up a bit on the market.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    yes to double gather. You really seem in such a race you have no time to stop. If you wnat gold you will have to put some effort into making it. gathering I like to keep in synch with leveling, but crafting I prefer to do at max level and throw money at ut if needed or collect them as a max level character.

10+ Year Old Account
    i made like 10k from level 80-90 just from quests, vendor trash, rares, etc... add the selling of ore that i mined i probably made about 15k

Besides getting gold from quests and dungeons, remember you can sidestep and do dailies as well for the extra gold. Additionally, why don't you use a day or two and level the gathering professions, so you can place things on ah to sell. If you guys do it together and help each other, you can get pretty high with the profs.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:15 PM ----------

Sorry forgot to say: Since you don't have any profs yet, pick up two gathering professions, throw what sells on ah and sit back and let the gold roll in ^-^.