... LastLast

THQ Auction Concluded

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/results.pdf

http://kotaku.com/5978425/thq-is-get...ything-we-know

Relic Entertainment
    Makers of Company of Heroes
    Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
    Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal
    Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve
    (title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
    Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
    Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.
    Maker of Saints Row
    Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
    Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront
    Released 2011; due for a sequel.
    Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.
    No runner-up.

Metro
    Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
    Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
    Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park
    License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306
    No runner-up.
    To All THQ Employees:

We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and
    Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction
    that occurred:

Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business,
    along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
    During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was
    that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority
    of the company.

Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must
    concur with our assessment.

The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :

Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve [Nirolak's Note: Turtle Rock of Left 4 Dead fame's game] and
    Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal [Nirolak's Note: Patrice's game and perhaps Volition Montreal] and South Park
    We expect these sales to close this week.
    [Nirolak's Note: Vigil didn't make it.]

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other
    intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of
    the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

What this means for employees

We expect that most employees of the entities included in the sale will be offered
    employment by the new owners. However, we cannot say what these owners may
    intend, and there will likely be some positions that will not be needed under the
    new ownership. You should receive notice this week or early next week if the new
    owners intend to extend employment to you. Please note that the terms of your new
    employment, including pay and benefits, may be different from the current terms of
    your employment with THQ.

If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that
    your position will end. A small number of our headquarters staff will continue to be
    employed by THQ beyond January 25 to assist with the transition. THQ has sufficient
    resources to pay these employees for work going forward, and we will be contacting
    these employees immediately to ensure their continued employment during this
    transition period. We are requesting the ability to offer certain severance pay to
    minimize disruption for employees of non-included entities as they determine the next
    steps in their careers.

We know you will have many questions about this news. We'll be meeting tomorrow
    when we return to talk through this announcement and to answer any questions you
    have. You will receive a benefits fact sheet and FAQs with answers to some questions
    that may be on your mind. Please review these materials closely.

A personal note

The work that you all have done as part of the THQ family is imaginative, creative,
    artistic and highly valued by our loyal gamers. We are proud of what we have
    accomplished despite today's outcome.

It has been our privilege to work alongside the entire THQ team. While the company
    will cease to exist, we are heartened that the majority of our studios and games will
    continue under new ownership. We were hoping that the entire company would remain
    intact, but we expect to hear good news from each of the separate entities that will be
    operating as part of new organizations.

For those THQ employees who are part of entities that are not included in the sale, we
    are confident that the talent you have displayed as part of THQ will be recognized as you
    take the next steps in your career.

Thank you all for your dedication and for sharing your talent with the THQ team. We
    wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Brian Farrell
    Chief Executive Officer

Jason Rubin
    President
    Looks like Vigil and Darksiders were not bought, and the Red Faction IP was not bought. Older legacy IPs were not bought either. Rumor that the WWE license is going to EA Sports, but that isn't confirmed and wasn't part of the auction.

This is NOT final. It still has to be approved by the bankruptcy court.

Total of about 70 million from the auction.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

I'm kinda glad Relic is with Sega as now all Warhammer IP's (Fantasy and 40k) are under one roof, and we already know sega is getting creative assembly to make a warhammer fantasy game, so hopefully new 40k ones as well.

Really hope Vigil strays alive, really want a darksiders 3

Deleted
    oooh home front 2 with the cry-engine ? THAT could be very exciting prospect. Shame that a lot of people will loose there jobs though, hope they can find something in the games industry.

Deleted
    I really hope Darksiders will still fall in capable hands. It's one of my favorite THQ franchises, next to metro.

Could have been far worse. I'm actually pretty please with how it ended up. Quite curious about the Evolve IP and what makes it (and its studio) worth $11M.

Hoping that Deep Silver will handle Saints Row/Volition as well as THQ did.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    oooh home front 2 with the cry-engine ? THAT could be very exciting prospect. Shame that a lot of people will loose there jobs though, hope they can find something in the games industry.
    Crytek was already working on a sequel to Homefront, so this was expected by a lot of people.

I'm really hoping for good news on the Darksiders front, but we will see.

Also worth noting, if you want any THQ games, now may be the time. There is always the chance with the bankruptcy that new companies may stop allowing Steam/Amazon/Origin etc. to sell the games, digital copies at least. No way to know for sure, but it has happened in the past like with Mafia.

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Well, glad I didnt get much hope for Darksiders 3.

Oh well, at least future WH40k games are saved.

Dark Millenium anyone?

Deleted
    Who is Koch Media? Never heard of them.

Pity THQ died, hopefully their legacy will live on though. And the employees will find jobs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Dark Millenium anyone?
    I'm actually quite curious as to what will happen to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Who is Koch Media? Never heard of them.

Pity THQ died, hopefully their legacy will live on though. And the employees will find jobs again.
    Deep Silver, AA publisher that put out Dead Island. The games they've put out are generally pretty good, but nothing spectacular.

There are a lot of unsold IPs that have to go somewhere. Most likely sold off piecewise on the cheap after Chapter 11 concludes. Even if publishers don't want to continue developing for an IP somebody has to get royalties when people buy the games, so Darksiders, Titan Quest, etc. will find a home eventually, just a question of if they will have any new games developed.

The Ubisoft purchase of Montreal is interesting. The previous Lead Game Designer for Ubisoft quit to join THQ, was sued by Ubisoft for breach of contract, and now Ubisoft has bought his contract from THQ Montreal, so he is back to working for Ubi.

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Saint's Row and Metro to Deep Silver (owned by Koch Media)... didn't see that one coming. They've got Dead Island Riptide and Sacred 3 coming out this year already.

Lot of talk on twitter tonight from developers who have lost their jobs, I hope they find new projects quickly.

Deleted
    Well it looks like i wont be buying any future warhammer games then as im boycotting sega games after the whole shining force thing and so are many others.

I just hope Saints Row 4 turns out good however and i can see crytek doing amazing things with the Homefront IP.
    Can see the South Park game go both ways with Ubisoft hopefully good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...end of an era. Kinda sad, really. I remember playing the hell out of Dawn of War when it first came out and loving THQ for continuing to publish titles in the warhammer 40k universe.

I'm pretty shocked that Darksiders didn't get picked up, I thought it was fairly popular?
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Wow...end of an era. Kinda sad, really. I remember playing the hell out of Dawn of War when it first came out and loving THQ for continuing to publish titles in the warhammer 40k universe.

I'm pretty shocked that Darksiders didn't get picked up, I thought it was fairly popular?
    Not really. It had its hype on start, but after everything it was just another slasher, nothing outstanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's hoping Sega will green light, Space Marine 2 with either The return of Captain Titus or another space marine chapter...
    Kind of sad to not getting a darksiders 3, was hoping to see the other two horsemen or ability to chose to play 4 way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks for the devs that lost their job, =\
    Hope it goes out well for them.

And hoping Deep Silver doesn't screw up Metro and just let them do their thing.

Deleted
    sega wouldnt even pay to finish bayonetta 2 so i doubt ull get a space marine 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ohaitharr View Post
    Not really. It had its hype on start, but after everything it was just another slasher, nothing outstanding.
    Depends on who you talk to. I would vote for Darksiders as my current favorite franchise personally.

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    sega wouldnt even pay to finish bayonetta 2 so i doubt ull get a space marine 2.
    Myup.

The overall sale could've gone far worse, but the truth is without THQ there, most of these franchises will die out. Honestly, I'd rather most of them die out peacefully than be bastardized by one of the mega-gaming-corporations.

If I don't get a Darksiders 3 because of this I will blow up the Earth.