Deleted

Windows updates issue + SSD space issue

Hey,

so I'm having a weird issue at the moment, everytime I shut down my PC Windows insists on installing these two updates, I've no idea what they are since they're not installing. I have automated updates disabled so I'm not even sure why it's doing this. It's just getting annoying that it takes 10mins to shut down each time due to "installing" them

Also I'm having an issue with my SSD (Not sure if it's connected to the above), I've recently deleted some files/games off it but it cleared up no disk space.
    I only have Windows, WoW, GW2 and Skype on my SSD but something those four things are taking up 110GB apparently. I deleted Rift, TERA and SWToR from the SSD but no disk space has freed up. All the games where installed via copy and pasting them from my external HDD when I reinstalled my computer.

Any help on either issue is much appreciated.

Deleted
    Do a chkdsk, there may be a correctable problem with the filesystem structure. Often when there are files or usage that don't total up correctly doing the disk check can fix it. Right click the drive in Computer, Properties, Tools, Error Checking.

You can try clearing out the Windows Update download cache located in \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

10+ Year Old Account
    You deleted them (do you mean you DELETED, or UNINSTALLED?) ... have you emptied the recycling bin?

You can find out where exactly the data is hiding and taking up space using the free version of Spacemonger. TreeSize works good too, but Spacemonger is more intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You can find out where exactly the data is hiding and taking up space using the free version of Spacemonger. TreeSize works good too, but Spacemonger is more intuitive.
    My favorite program for visualizing hard drive usage has always been WinDirStat - completely free too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joán View Post
    My favorite program for visualizing hard drive usage has always been WinDirStat - completely free too!
    WinDirStat (though I haven't used it) Looks like it uses both the visuals of Spacemonger and Treesize

Deleted
    That is an absolutely brilliant program, I love it.

Deleted
    About the windows update problem (not sure if this applies since you have updates disablet - which btw, you shouldn't)

Start a command promt (run as admininstrator)

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits

Delete this folder; C:\windows\softwaredistribution

Again in the command promt;

net start wuauserv
    net start bits

This "resets" the windows update, deletes all the downloaded updates.
    What it does; the first 2 commands stops the windows update service to allow you to delete the folder.
    The folder is created again automaticly once the update service starts again (the 2 last commands)

Deleted
    Hey,

so I did what you guys said. The SSD thing worked and it's now cleared space bit the Windows issue is still there.

I've done what Deezly said and I've still got the same issue.

Also, regarding your SSD space, if it is your Windows drive (I'm assuming it is) and you don't need hibernation, be sure to look up the instructions on how to disable it and remove the file. Typically, with hibernation enabled, it will allocate space equal to the amount of RAM you have installed and could be hogging up lots of disk space.