The NM Griego Case; Thoughts?

I read the reports coming from the interview/interrigation of Nehemiah Griego and it was just sad and pathetic.

Since these incidents usually end in the suspects death (which was apparently Nehemiah's original goal) I'm actually both interested and wary of seeing how the next steps play out. The media is already deeply focusing on his "gushing" over violent video games, and I'm wondering if that is where the focus will stop on the issue.

I'll state that I do believe violent video games to have the potential to influence someone to violence, but I also believe that those individuals who would be influenced are not only abnormal but most likely individuals who would just as easily find the inspiration from other sources once encountered.

The discussion that potentially holds the million dollar answer is if in this case we might get any credible data to help identify such individuals or if it is even possible to do so. Though that's a huge hope and an unlikely one.

I pose the question to those of the community as it whether or not they feel such investigation will be made or if it will simply be left to mainstream assumption and bias kin to "He played violent video games and that's all we need to know."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I read the reports coming from the interview/interrigation of Nehemiah Griego and it was just sad and pathetic.

Since these incidents usually end in the suspects death (which was apparently Nehemiah's original goal) I'm actually both interested and wary of seeing how the next steps play out. The media is already deeply focusing on his "gushing" over violent video games, and I'm wondering if that is where the focus will stop on the issue.

I'll state that I do believe violent video games to have the potential to influence someone to violence, but I also believe that those individuals who would be influenced are not only abnormal but most likely individuals who would just as easily find the inspiration from other sources once encountered.

The discussion that potentially holds the million dollar answer is if in this case we might get any credible data to help identify such individuals or if it is even possible to do so. Though that's a huge hope and an unlikely one.

I pose the question to those of the community as it whether or not they feel such investigation will be made or if it will simply be left to mainstream assumption and bias kin to "He played violent video games and that's all we need to know."
    Before violent games there was rap music. Before rap music there were slasher movies and "video nasties". before those it was Heavy metal music. Before that it was rock and roll. Before Rock and Roll it was certain books and literature......

People will always find things to blame is the moral to this post.

personally i cant get past the fact that he got the guns out of the closet. they kept their guns in a fucking closet. im sure any number of people will come on here and try to explain how the closet was a FANTASTIC place to keep guns, for some bullshit reason. it's pathetic that we cant pass any gun safety law in this country without the NRA and its muppets screaming "they're gonna take our guns!!!". and they will start this cry over anyfuckinthing. they did it over trigger locks ffs. nobody tried to take guns, just put goddamn trigger locks on them. maybe one day we will actually be able to have rational discussions about this type of thing without bullshit zreo sum arguments, but im pretty sure it wont happen in my lifetime. for now we have to settle for a war on video games instead of rationally approaching a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Before violent games there was rap music. Before rap music there were slasher movies and "video nasties". before those it was Heavy metal music. Before that it was rock and roll. Before Rock and Roll it was certain books and literature......

People will always find things to blame is the moral to this post.
    Here's the thing though. Even as a pro-video-game freedom of expression blah blah blah person. I do not find it rational to believe that violent video games can have a potential impact on mentally abnormal people. The same could be said of anything from books to paintings. What I'm hoping is that perhaps if actual care is taking on this case there is a potential to work up something which could be indicators as to early warning signs.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    personally i cant get past the fact that he got the guns out of the closet. they kept their guns in a fucking closet. im sure any number of people will come on here and try to explain how the closet was a FANTASTIC place to keep guns, for some bullshit reason. it's pathetic that we cant pass any gun safety law in this country without the NRA and its muppets screaming "they're gonna take our guns!!!". and they will start this cry over anyfuckinthing. they did it over trigger locks ffs. nobody tried to take guns, just put goddamn trigger locks on them. maybe one day we will actually be able to have rational discussions about this type of thing without bullshit zreo sum arguments, but im pretty sure it wont happen in my lifetime. for now we have to settle for a war on video games instead of rationally approaching a problem
    Touching on the same note as above. I'm actually satisfied that this information is out there now because I completely agree on the sentiment of "how fucking retarded can you be" when it comes to leaving weapons where anyone, let alone children, can have easy access to them. Very often it's left to assumption as to how the weapons were come by, but at least in this case we have direct evidence that the parents left the weapons unsecured and they paid for that.

Maybe this is something that needs to be addressed in a much higher volume on the Television. However, I believe that no parent thinks of their child being capable until it being too late.