Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

It Took Our Jobs!

There was a great article out in the AP today about how we are giving tons of our jobs to software and robots.

How will we replace all of these lost jobs while creating new ones?

Year after year, the software that runs computers and an array of other machines and devices becomes more sophisticated and powerful and capable of doing more efficiently tasks that humans have always done. For decades, science fiction warned of a future when we would be architects of our own obsolescence, replaced by our machines; an Associated Press analysis finds that the future has arrived.

The global economy is being reshaped by machines that generate and analyze vast amounts of data; by devices such as smartphones and tablet computers that let people work just about anywhere, even when they're on the move; by smarter, nimbler robots; and by services that let businesses rent computing power when they need it, instead of installing expensive equipment and hiring IT staffs to run it. Whole employment categories, from secretaries to travel agents, are starting to disappear.

The second part of the series came out today:

Practically human: Can smart machines do your job?

Nobody will read it, but it is a very good article.

There are also plans to automate fast food. McD's is already eyeing a single employ ran setup.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-04-10 at 02:52 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like your alone here....

Jobs are not being lost. Jobs are being moved from menial tasks which can be done by software and robots to engineering, design and development (of the software and robots). people just need to go get a proper education now instead of dropping out of high school at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    Jobs are not being lost. Jobs are being moved from menial tasks which can be done by software and robots to engineering, design and development (of the software and robots). people just need to go get a proper education now instead of dropping out of high school at 16.
    This about sums it up.

You can build a robot to do a person job, but you have to hire someone to maintain the robot.

Or if you want to use the travel agent example: you can get rid of the human booking, but you still need a team of developers to design the website and technologies that involve taking the information from the user to the hotel/whatever.
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-01-24 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone has to make the ro . . . oh wait, the robots will do that too.

Well . . . shit.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Someone has to make the ro . . . oh wait, the robots will do that too.

Well . . . shit.
    The end has begun.

They're self replicating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always great to know that people read the article...

Call me crazy it is easier than reading. This is not some random blurb. This is an AP article that was likely in your local paper.

People will not read it because it talks about something in science fiction?
    I like sandwiches

What would you classify as a proper education? Let's not forget that skilled labor that doesn't encompass engineering, design and development is in very high demand because there are so few people getting the required education and training.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    The end has begun.

They're self replicating.
    SKYNET is watching. It will find us and kill us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people were born to dig ditches. Where is this world that you live on where every person has the ability to learn how to program computers?
    I like sandwiches

Well yes but you might need say a team of 10 engineers to develop and maintain a fleet of harvesting machines that do the work of 500 unskilled labourers, for one totally made up example.

If businesses still had to employ as many people (more educated and qualified people as well - ie more expensive) then why would they bother with automation? The whole point is to reduce costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Some people were born to dig ditches. Where is this world that you live on where every person has the ability to learn how to program computers?
    They can work fast food.

Since that's the case, how about we start with trying education reform that allows for easier (monetary) access to college and addresses student needs to at least try and make sure they don't want to drop out.

Also, machines are what we make of them. We can just as easily create more jobs by giving the more menial ones to machines as we can lose them.

Every job bubble has to burst. Even IT. But we'll always be one step ahead of what we build and that's where we need to look for making more jobs.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-01-24 at 03:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    They can work fast food.
    Those jobs are slowly being filled by the former middle class.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well yes but you might need say a team of 10 engineers to develop and maintain a fleet of harvesting machines that do the work of 500 unskilled labourers, for one totally made up example.

If businesses still had to employ as many people (more educated and qualified people as well - ie more expensive) then why would they bother with automation? The whole point is to reduce costs.
    first if you think 10 people can do the research and developement required to come up with new machines you have no idea what proper research and development entrails. But from the second comment you seem to be looking at just a company. yes jobs will be lost in 1 company but new companies will have to come up that actually develop that machines and software being used by the first company thereby developing new jobs. E.G :- a company buy a new software that makes redundancies in there work force - that software was developed by a company that was not there before the software was available making new job vacencies in that work area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less and less work for the uneducated it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    They can work fast food.
    Suddenly I'm imagining Legion behind a McDonald's counter, wearing a McDonald's hat.

"Shepard-Commander, we are offering fries with that!"
    Putin khuliyo

LOL people who believe they were born to dig ditches are lazy. You may not become a rocket scientist or physicist but everyone can get the basic knowledge and skill to do a skilled labor job. Every one has the capacity for learning (unless you have a real learning disability which is completely different scenerio). Yes some people will have to work harder than other for the same amount of knowledge absorption but saying some people are so dumb they can only learn how to handle a shovel is retarded.

LOL people who believe they were born to dig ditches are lazy. You may not become a rocket scientist or physicist but everyone can get the basic knowledge and skill to do a skilled labor job. Every one has the capacity for learning (unless you have a real learning disability which is completely different scenerio). Yes some people will have to work harder than other for the same amount of knowledge absorption but saying some people are so dumb they can only learn how to handle a shovel is retarded.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Your aware that dropping out of highschool at 16 doesn't immediately invalidate your chances of getting into college/uni/apprenticeships/ a job, right?
    Yes but it also greatly diminishes your chances (al least in Australia) as dropping out of highschool means you haven't even completed your schooling which is a minimum requirement for all universities and trade scholls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh, you DO realize there are people who are mentally handicapped who do work right? Not everyone has the same mental capacity for occupations that require tons of logic based decisions.

Everyone is built differently, physically AND Mentally, no matter how hard you try to rationalize peoples inability to learn.

Besides, if someone can learn something with half the effort of another, who do you think companies will hire first? Those people who have a hard time learning are still going to be left in the gutter unless there are more occupations available than there are people looking to fill them, and the reality is there Isn't.

The world is not what it seems to be from the Ivory Tower my friend...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol