Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    depends on the game's age and the expansion age. After a month the leveling areas are almost always devoid of people, I've yet to see an mmo that wasn't like this

At this point in time I wouldn't recommend it. The only people that are still around will of course talk it up (don't listen to ANYONE who says "my server has tons of people, overflows everywhere!" because I've transferred around quite a few times trying to find a real active server and it doesn't exist) but the game is in a bit of an inbetween stage right now. If you played it since launch it's still alright to mess around with every once in a while, but I wouldn't want to start playing right now (most leveling zones are dead, it's a single player game until max level and even then it's pretty boring IMO).

I'd suggest waiting a while and seeing what kind of new content ArenaNet can come up with.

gw2 is enjoyable, for now.
    N

There are enough people still playing, just make sure you pick the right server. Anet's server labeling is a tiny bit shady, and some "medium" pop ones are very low verging on dead.

Other than that it is still a game that is a lot of fun for most people for a while at least, till the shine wears off.

Tell you this, I started lvling an Sylvari. I saw 1 person for like 10 minutes and i was like "is no one lvling anymore?.." As soon as one simple event popped up, there were like 7-10 people there. Like, out of nowhere. I was like "Were they stealthed or something?" I highly recommend you find a gaming partner or something because when doing solo things, like your story missions, hearts and all that, the world may feel empty, but when events arise, there is most certainly a fair ammount of people there.

You should most deffinetly try it. If you don't like it now, maybe you'll like it in 6 months. No subs and free monthly patches.

@Infinite: No one is getting hurt of your "opinions." You're just bashing the game, thats all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Idk about what was said but it's a fact that people sit on cities. I mean, it's safe, has all sort of commodities such as Trading post, Fractals, Dungeon Tokens Vendors, Vendors, Explorable stuff, Jumping Puzzles, Crafting Station, Bank, WvW queuers (if you are in overflow you need to go there I think). Besides Cities on Gw2 are amazing, it should be populated with people of course and it shows on preferences (I like Hoelbrak that I usually chill there lol). On wow is a fact where people sit on the city mainly because of queue lfg (which Impressively I found that you can queue for everything at the same time now ). So I think there is a difference there.
    In main cities are daily quests, class and profession trainers, auction house, some have dungeons, some have minor acheivements (fishing ones for example), some have interesting quests and rewards (sw balloon for example) not to mention trade chat which doubles as a lfg chat for world and pvp events (although more often spam chat) and most are hubs for the holiday events. It has multiple functions beside sitting and waiting so I agree with most of your post, but not this, and you used the word fact for something that isnt factual naughty zilong :P
    Anyway my main point I really wanted answered was how is the random LFG element associated with GW2LFG seen as positive when the main reason bought up for the destruction of the wow 'community' is the LFG and the random elements associated with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    There's no commitment past the initial cost of the box. So sure, why not. Play it at your own pace. Personally, I really wanted to like it, but I found it dreadfully boring.
    The initial cost of the box is £40, I could think of better things to spend it on, got me a THQ boxet on steam for £20. The only time the commitment is actually worth it is if you get something back, myself, I spent £40 and I might as well handed it to the big issue guy, wait for a trial first

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    @Infinite: No one is getting hurt of your "opinions." You're just bashing the game, thats all.
    If by bashing the game you mean giving some valid points then yes, none of his posts in this thread have out and out bashed gw2, people post history unfortunately is usally the first thing people take in to consideration and not the points being made, been there myself
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-24 at 08:59 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the group that found the leveling experience worth the $60, but couldn't keep going at end-game.

In my case, it just confused me, and since I didn't quit my main MMO to play GW2 and took my sweetass time getting to end game, the rest of the community had already developed and settled into the best ways to play, but the game was new enough that it was hard to find sites that concisely explained to newcomers how not to noob it up, and the leveling experience really didn't prepare me for what I was supposed to be doing in dungeon groups. Any online game there's gonna be that "obvious" knowledge that you have to learn quickly to be considered a good player, but for me it seemed like more of a hump than was worth overcoming.

But like I said, the leveling content was good and plentiful, worth the $60 alone. I don't regret the purchase. The amount of resources online will have increased since I tried, and can only keep increasing. And if you're looking to focus a decent amount of time in the game, you'll probably get over the learning curve a lot easier than I did, or maybe find a supportive group of people.

As for if there's enough people, it seemed like it, especially taking into consideration that a bunch of people are spamming fractals or off in wvwvw areas, the two main end-game things to do which aren't in any of the leveling areas.

PS, if you haven't played a ton of MMOs already, the game is worth getting just for the exposure to the different ways it does some things from other games. While they weren't enough to hook me, there were a couple revelatory features of the type where now that I've experienced them, other MMOs seem lesser for not having them, and some other features that were just interesting to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    At this point in time I wouldn't recommend it. The only people that are still around will of course talk it up (don't listen to ANYONE who says "my server has tons of people, overflows everywhere!" because I've transferred around quite a few times trying to find a real active server and it doesn't exist) but the game is in a bit of an inbetween stage right now. If you played it since launch it's still alright to mess around with every once in a while, but I wouldn't want to start playing right now (most leveling zones are dead, it's a single player game until max level and even then it's pretty boring IMO).
    Likewise, don't believe everything the opposition says either. :P Apparently my server is full or damn near close to it. I've seen transfers say they had a really difficult time switching to it. I will say if you're looking for crowds of people you need to play during US prime time. The amount of players farming events is ridiculous and as long as you announce one people will usually come flooding in from everywhere in the zone. Queensdale's gotten so popular it's actually challenging to get a gold medal on champion events even if you're there when it starts. I had to quit running the event chain in Harathi Highlands during prime time because there are so many people the players and the mobs don't all load on my screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post

I'd suggest waiting a while and seeing what kind of new content ArenaNet can come up with.
    sorry to disagree, but LA on my server is always in overflow (im on aurora glade). WvWvW is also full in the weekends =/ and i just went to a the norn starting area for world completion and geuss what i see ALLOT of people runing around! like 1 events pops and BOOM 20 people! but i must admit that the mid-level zones are sort of dead =/. but i hope with the new update to dailies that it will change

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up.

Is it still worth getting and is the player number still at a healthy level? I have wanted to try it out, but I still am trying to decide whether I want to get it or not. Thoughts?
    The player number is not so healthy imo. Lions arch, some WvW and a couple starting zones are the only places that have a good amount of people(even SPvP is pretty dead right now). As far as buying the game, I would say yes, yes and yes. One time purchase for a great quality mmo that doesn't have a sub fee makes the game worth at least one play through-easy 60 hours.

In the end for me, WoW was just a better game, and I only have time for one. I was really gung-ho for GW2, but in the end it was good, but not better than WoW for me. Worth trying.

As others have said, the final judgment is up to you, but the game is really worth its price in my opinion. Even if you don't want to play it at a razor's edge pace, you can take your time and log in once a week if you wanted. The community seems strong and is growing still; Very Heavy and Full servers are seen all about, even when past peak hours.

To compare GW2 to WoW is just plain idiocy at its finest, GW2 is on a level of its own and should be treated as such. Whether that means a quality experience or not is entirely up to the individual though.

If you choose to give it a shot OP, have fun.

I bought it because a bunch of friends bought it and I don't have to pay a sub fee for it so that is kind of what swayed me. However I rarely play. I got to level 20 but I keep dying way too much. I can't solo anything. Love the way questing works though.

Deleted
    Bah you'll get bored when you hit max lvl...and The Elder of Scrolls online will be released in 2013 and it'll be one thousand times better than gw2!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's certainly worth the money, even if you just have the leveling experience and personal story. As far as population goes I can't complain. I play in Underworld-EU and keep seeing people all around the world. WvW during the weeked is always full on Eternal and our Border. Granted some mid-level zones are a bit dead, but overall it seems the server is quite alive. Orr zones always have around 20-30 people on those bigger events and the dragon fights always bring more than that. Being in a guild with ~60 players constantly online helps :P

The one time purchase and the awsome leveling experience are enough reasons to try this game.
    Last edited by arukas; 2013-01-24 at 10:27 PM.
    Arukas

Quote Originally Posted by ProgRQ View Post
    Bah you'll get bored when you hit max lvl...and The Elder of Scrolls online will be released in 2013 and it'll be one thousand times better than gw2!
    If that happens it will be awesome, but the roaming element (and the essence of ES series) is so strong in GW2 ... if ESO manages to top that it will be heavenly.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

I just levelled from 1-80 on a High population server, and I always ran into people, be it big dynamic events that everyone wants to do "for zeh loot", to just random, small and insignificant, dynamic events that pop up. It is amazing how fast people show up when the dynamic event circle appears.

Personally, I found it to be worth the 30 USD I spent on it. I will be honest to say that the combat system is still something I outright suck at (and do not entire understand), and some parts of it I hate (I can barely see the god damn enemy AOE circles, for instance because of vision reasons. I have no idea why they haven't improved those. <_<), but the leveling and the experience by actually playing WITH players, and not against them, was great. I just feel the game really does encourage other players to help each other and be more friendly to each other.

I have not really touched endgame very much. I figured out that I better start looking into what I ought to save for Legendary weapons and... somehow got focused on completing the monthly meta-quest, which I finished a few hours ago. I guess it is time to touch all those other things I have missed out on.

and The Elder of Scrolls online will be released in 2013 and it'll be one thousand times better than gw2!

And you know this how?

Is that a fact or is that an opinion? If its the first, can you tell me some of the exciting stuff we can find in ESO?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I returned to the game last week, and started a new character. As a New Zealander playing on a US server (Isle of Janthir), I'm not exactly aligned with peak hours. And yet all of the low level zones that I've been travelling in, have had very heavy populations. And not just max level characters coming to do events and dailies -- there are plenty of new lowbies like me.

It's not as crowded as when I first played in August last year, but it still seems very healthy. I'm impressed, and looking forward to playing each night.

I totally recommend the game.