Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

D.C. public schools to drop civics.

Washington D.C. is considering new graduation requirements. As proposed by the D.C. State Board of Education the required credits would be raised by two (from 24 to 26). However students would be able to earn credits via team sports, extracurricular arts and music, and more gym. The revised program would also eliminate the requirement that students take a course in U.S. government, among other changes.

So our students are falling further and further behind other countries in terms of education. And Washington's solution to this, and their own failing public school system, is to just get rid of the "education" part and award credits for football and arts and crafts? And that's not even addressing the irony of the school system in our Nations Capital wanting to get rid of a course on, well, our Nations Capital and the Government there in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...t-requirement/
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-01-24 at 04:58 AM.

Most people these days don't seem to understand civics anyway. Just look at the hoopla about "King Obama" and his executive orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Most people these days don't seem to understand civics anyway. Just look at the hoopla about "King Obama" and his executive orders.

You forgot Emperor Obama. I had a very big discussion about that comment long time ago during the election. It was very *conspiricy theory like* and claiming Obama was turning into Emperor. I find it quite amusing indeed.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as a Canadian, this is fucking ridiculous.

They take away US Gov classes? I fail to see a problem, its not like most Americans are using what they learn anyhow.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

A class in U.S. government only benefits those that are going into politics/history anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    A class in U.S. government only benefits those that are going into politics/history anyways.
    And this is why people don't understand the US President isn't an emperor, or the duties of the house and senate, or even what congress is.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    This, of course, depends on whether or not classes are actually being cut. Not being awarded credits and being cut are two entirely different things. If the class is still available to the students who wish to pursue them, then all that the school district is doing is trying not to penalize the kids who wouldn't pay attention or succeed in the class in the first place.

I thoroughly disagree with this idea because I think its a citizen's civic duty to understand how and why the government operates the way it does, but there is a possibility that someone is trying to think of the children. They're just not doing a very good job of it.

It helps eliminate low information voters.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    And this is why people don't understand the US President isn't an emperor, or the duties of the house and senate, or even what congress is.
    Agreed. Most people don't even realize that the President has no real lawmaking powers and is therefore unable to grant anything he promises in actuality. Its why I question the sanity of anyone who wants the job. You're just one guy who's say can be overthrown by a panel of nine of your left and several hundred on your right.

It helps eliminate low information voters.
    I don't think so....lol
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theory, I bet the US Government wouldn't mind one bit if the general population were more ignorant to how they worked lol.

All part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    I don't think so....lol
    Yes, it does. Because anyone with a firm grasp of Civics will never fall for the "Obama never had a budget!" rhetoric, for example.

Yes, it does. Because anyone with a firm grasp of Civics will never fall for the "Obama never had a budget!" rhetoric, for example.
    Name one politician that hasn't ever lied. Oh wait.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Well yea, if huge part of them are already snoozing through those classes, why bother making them mandatory?

And now we see why you are ok with Civics not being taught. You don't understand it.

10+ Year Old Account

Not like parties opposing the presidents never lie either.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Ituhippi View Post
    Well yea, if huge part of them are already snoozing through those classes, why bother making them mandatory?
    They already are mandatory. You should be waking them up and making it harder. The US school system is mostly a joke as it is, so we are just going to start dropping classes? Hooray?

It's better for the type of people who run modern government if their subjects have less concept of how our government was originally designed to work, specifically the limits on it. Besides, you don't need civics to know who to vote for to maximize your welfare check.

Well lets think here for a second. Its a public class for graduation. You need only take it once and thats it. Most of that information is lost or maybe even misunderstood as what should be 3 different classes is like one. So no matter what, you get your less then average grip on civics. What we want in this situation is more Gov classes that should be required but since they aren't the only people that are more informed are those with a career in politics that did more classes or those that self educate.