Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Since green fire applies mainly to Destro..........

Shouldn't i have the freedom of completing ALL of patch 5.2's content as Destruction spec? Not only is it my most favorite spec, that's not really important. What is however is all the WORK you go through to get your green fire and what does it come to? Me playing affliction to progress further?

If they are going to treat the green fire like a "legendary" shouldn't they buff Destro to be as competitive as the top DPS spec for warlocks during the patch it was introduced?? Kinda like giving access to a legendary for a specific class. I don't wanna go through all the trouble only to realize I need to play affliction in 10man in my guild because it has bigger numbers...

What are your thoughts?

Some of the words you have put in bold, probably don't need to be.

Don't post just to comment on someone's writing, you have been warned
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-01-24 at 05:00 PM.

If the numbers are close enough I would consider going destro for a bit. Problem is they haven't adjusted affliction's scaling (yet) so as things are now afflic will still be the spec to play by the end of the tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll still have green fire, just not as much. It's not a DPS increase in anyway and is only cosmetic. If you wanna play destro to see it more that's your choice.

you probably don't NEED to be affliciton ... are you a top 500 guildmate? Then the delta between destro and affl won't be why your group wipes, it will be execution, and you can play the spec you want. If your guild doesn't allow that, and they are not in the top progression for your server, find one that progresses similarly, and will let you play your favored spec.

They can't buff destro because of low-end pvp (random BGs) where Destro burst is an issue. I do play destro in pve and demo (DA) in pvp. I wish I could compete with top dps specs as destro, but tbh it's one of the lowest skill cap spec I've ever seen. I can understand why shad....ahem...affliction is more rewarding (while it's actually piss easy compared to old affli).

Here's a post from the general forums. I think it would be a great idea:
    "Perhaps Afflic could get a Shadow Aura or something and maybe Demo could get a Fel Aura when in Meta?"

This would give the effect more emphasis in all three specs.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know, I'm pretty sure it's already their goal to try and balance the specs so they're all viable. They will obviously never be perfectly balanced, and one spec is always going to come out in last place.

If you want to see changes, your best bet would honestly be to download the PTR and/or head to the official PTR forum and try to provide constructive feedback on what changes you think would help bring it in line with Affliction. However, the PTR is still pretty fresh and there's probably still a lot of tuning and tweaking that needs to be done at this point anyway.

You might also try a guild that doesn't mind if you don't min/max your DPS by playing a spec you dislike (this kind of thing has been an issue since Classic, after all).
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-01-24 at 06:49 AM.

I don't get this fascination with being top DPS.

Are you doing more damage than the tank? (provided the fight lets you deal more damage than the tank?)
    Are the bosses going down?

I get that some encounters are going to favor Affliction over Destro and Demo. But unless it's something to the degree of Will of the Emperor, or you're racing for World/Server firsts HM's...

Play what you want.
    If your guild wont let you, then it's a problem between you and your guild, not between you and blizzard. All three specs of warlock are extremely competitive compared to other classes. Blizzard does not have to balance every class and spec around a theoretical standard DPS; It's fine if you want to min/max; but if you're going to do so, you don't really get to complain that your favorite spec is 10-15% behind your other two specs.

Also, a ghostcrawler quote from a few hours ago:

We think Destro may be a little behind, but it's not much. Affliction PvE damage is too high, which causes many warlocks to go Affliction on every fight rather than considering options. That creates a big sampling bias effect on sites like World of Logs and Raidbots. The lower performing DPS specs appear even lower than they actually are because the only players generating those logs are uninformed (which also tends to mean undergeared) or just messing around. To get a more accurate test, you need to see a player try every spec under similar circumstances (gear, skill, etc.), and those data are much more rare.
    Given that a current parse from raidbots puts destro at 19% below affliction (which is over the top) it's actually pretty middle of the pack compared to demo. If nothing else, demo could use a bump, and affli could use a nerf (though it's hard to nerf affliction, because of multi-dotting, You risk hurting their already low-ish single target trying to nerf their multi-target.)

I only read Warlock forums so I don't know what other class communities are like, but do they do this same thing? Did Arcane and Frost continually clamor for Fire nerfs, and are Frost players harping on how strong Arcane is right now? The Warlock community is consistently self-hating, and it's the only community I can think of that isn't happy...like ever. Everyone is basically going on about how awesome 4.3 Cata balance was - "3 balanced specs!" - but conveniently forgot the part where as an entire class we were utterly forgettable and essentially a poor man's Shadow Priest in PvE. We get it - you don't like to play Affliction - so find a guild that isn't being stupid and stop tearing your fellow locks down.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Here's a post from the general forums. I think it would be a great idea:
    "Perhaps Afflic could get a Shadow Aura or something and maybe Demo could get a Fel Aura when in Meta?"

This would give the effect more emphasis in all three specs.
    Demonology uses Soulfire and Immolation Aura pretty regularly, so I'm not too worried about that spec. I wouldn't mind a fel-green demon form, though.

It looks like they also have green versions of the imp's Firebolt and Cauterize Master spells, plus the Summon Abyssal. Even procs like Molten Core have green icons, so it looks like all red fire will be replaced with green, down to the power auras.

For Affliction, the only fire spell they really use is Rain of Fire, but rather than adding green fire to non-fire-based spells Codex, maybe they could expand the effect of Glyph of Verdant Spheres so that it changes Soulburn's buff aura and its affected spells to match the color of the Verdant Spheres. When you use Soulburn it could make the Verdant Spheres rotate around you, and if you cast, say, Soul Swap, it would look like your launching a Verdant Sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    I only read Warlock forums so I don't know what other class communities are like, but do they do this same thing? Did Arcane and Frost continually clamor for Fire nerfs, and are Frost players harping on how strong Arcane is right now? The Warlock community is consistently self-hating, and it's the only community I can think of that isn't happy...like ever. Everyone is basically going on about how awesome 4.3 Cata balance was - "3 balanced specs!" - but conveniently forgot the part where as an entire class we were utterly forgettable and essentially a poor man's Shadow Priest in PvE. We get it - you don't like to play Affliction - so find a guild that isn't being stupid and stop tearing your fellow locks down.
    All pures do it. No one likes to play a class with 3 specs and can only pick one. Blizzard decided it was unfair to paladins to only be able to heal so they made ret and prot viable. However, they have still decided that one spec is good enough for DPS because then, at least, they can perform their ONE role. So, the other two specs can be utter crap the entire expansion; if you're lucky, a different spec will be king the next two years. But probably not.

All pures have one good DPS spec, one spec that can't be played at all, and one spec that might be kind of close or good at PvP at least. And all of the players complain about it. If you played mage because you love ice spells, why would you be happy that Blizzard pushes you into arcane or fire? I love subtlety on my rogue, and decided to main rogue this expansion because it simmed well. Unfortunately, actual results were negative, and I'm a warlock now. Surprise!

You know, people bitch for years about wanting green fire. Blizz delivers. And the QQ is still going. This is a victory. Plus, numbers come and go. A good warlock can kick ass with destro. Theoretical dps is far from realistic dps.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I don't get this fascination with being top DPS.

Are you doing more damage than the tank? (provided the fight lets you deal more damage than the tank?)
    Are the bosses going down?

I get that some encounters are going to favor Affliction over Destro and Demo. But unless it's something to the degree of Will of the Emperor, or you're racing for World/Server firsts HM's...

Play what you want.
    If your guild wont let you, then it's a problem between you and your guild, not between you and blizzard. All three specs of warlock are extremely competitive compared to other classes. Blizzard does not have to balance every class and spec around a theoretical standard DPS; It's fine if you want to min/max; but if you're going to do so, you don't really get to complain that your favorite spec is 10-15% behind your other two specs.

Also, a ghostcrawler quote from a few hours ago:

Given that a current parse from raidbots puts destro at 19% below affliction (which is over the top) it's actually pretty middle of the pack compared to demo. If nothing else, demo could use a bump, and affli could use a nerf (though it's hard to nerf affliction, because of multi-dotting, You risk hurting their already low-ish single target trying to nerf their multi-target.)
    Multi dotting is no longer affliction's strength. Single target is. Affliction has some of the best burst in the game atm. Again, affliction dominates on single target.

i just started leveling a warlock. i was meaning to lvl a horde toon for horde lore anyways and the green fire questline has alot of lore to it and isnt just "heres some spell brah" so i figured id do both and level a blood elf warlock.

i like the way demo plays so far will i see green fire alot or should i respec to destro at 90? i dont care about what spec is best since i wont be going further than lfr with this character since its just for lore. so pretty much just dailies, questing, and lfr.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I wouldn't mind a fel-green demon form, though.

Guess they read your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    Guess they read your mind.

is that real O_o if so im staying demo
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

destro is harder to play 'competetive' then the other 2 specs on certain fights. at 500 ilvl i recently switched to destro from afflic and in the past 2 weeks ive put a ton of hours practicing in lfrs and on heroic bosses that my group has on farm. some fights i do much more dmg then i ever could as afflic, and others im way behind. has a lot to do with the encounters, and requires a lot more planning ahead then affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    is that real O_o if so im staying demo
    Yea they've been adding fel versions of a lot of lock spells in each build.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    Yea they've been adding fel versions of a lot of lock spells in each build.
    maybe its just because its lighter and i can see it better but it seems to be a bit more detailed than the purple version O-O like the cracks on the feet and claws

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    maybe its just because its lighter and i can see it better but it seems to be a bit more detailed than the purple version O-O like the cracks on the feet and claws
    Nah it's exactly the same.