Deleted

Looking for a new headset

Hello.

Backstory:
    I've been looking for a new headset for a while now, and simply don't know what to get.
    So far I've used Steelseries Siberia v2 + Steelseries USB sound card for about 2 years, but it's starting to break.
    I don't have room for internal sound card on my PC so I'll have to use external sound cards.

On topic:
    I have a budget of around $220-$250. With that I need to get a new external sound card + a new headset.

Any suggestions?

Deleted
    Sennheiser PC 323D

This is what I have been using for a while now. Great bass, great virtual 7.1 that actually works (with the external audio driver).
    Its plastic is very durable and it has cloth cushions with a big ear cap. Another great feature is that microphone is muted when you raise the boon (you can hear a "click")

Well spent money!

Most headsets charge a large premium for poor quality.

No matter the "quality" of a headset, you can always do much better for the same price by purchasing headphones and a separate mic(Table, clip-on or the high quality Antlion boom mic.)

Regardless if you want a headset or a separate headphones/mic solution, I always refer people to Overclock.net's Recommended Audio Products.

The link covers a wide range of items such as headsets, headphones, audio interface, speakers, active speakers, subs.
    It further organizes everything by music taste, gaming, bass etc and by price range.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    snap
    Yeah it's one option to get headphones + separate mic.
    That's a good site, I'll have a look around.

Though one thing what bothers me is that Google gives very mixed results about headphones + surround sound, which is very important for me.
    Some say that headphones can't do that (hear where the enemy is coming from) and some say they can.

Lets say I buy these and this + a separate mic. Would it have surround sound or no? I don't know much when it comes to audio stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is surround sound important to you?

Are you willing to sacrifice performance to get your surround sound?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Why is surround sound important to you?

Are you willing to sacrifice performance to get your surround sound?
    After thinking for a while I decided to scrap the surround sound and went for Ultrasone Pro 550 S-logic and Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB.
    Though if I'm not mistaken those headphones do have some sort of surround system, but we'll see.
    This setup should provide a good overall experience.

Somehow I managed to delete the original post. *shrug*
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2013-01-24 at 06:13 PM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    After thinking for a while I decided to scrap the surround sound and went for Ultrasone Pro 550 S-logic and Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB.
    Though if I'm not mistaken those headphones do have some sort of surround system, but we'll see.
    This setup should provide a good overall experience.

Somehow I managed to delete the original post. *shrug*
    Good luck, hope you like it, Just keep in mind that ultrasones arent for everyone.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I am pretty happy with my Siberia V2's with the USB Soundcard.