Is Archimonde's Vengeance a DPS gain?

I notice most locks take Kil'jaeden's Cunning but isn't Archimonde's Vengeance a DPS gain? I'd rather take KJC for the excellent mobility but don't want my DPS to drop, I always leave AV on passive but it still looks like a DPS gain?
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a weigh up between how much damage you'll loose by switching to Fel Flame for movement and how much you'll 'gain' from damage taken.

- Affliction tends to loose a lot as dropping MG uptime is a big DPS loss
    - Demonology FF has the same DPET and Fury generation as Shadow Bolt, but will cause you to Life Tap more often, but also has the option of switching to Meta and using Touch of Chaos.
    - Destruction will consume more mana, potentially leaving you OOM, but will generate more Embers for Chaos Bolts.

So while Demo and Destro have quite a lot of mitigation for movement built in, Affliction lacks it and with Affliction being the top spec, KJC is therefore probably disproportionately popular even amongst players of the other two specs who would stand to gain more in most situations from AV just because they see 'everyone has KJC'.

Thank you Jessicka, that's explained it perfectly, I'll stick with AV as I play demo in dungeons and raids and destro for questing, as always your help is much appreciated :-)
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLisi1982 View Post
    Thank you Jessicka, that's explained it perfectly, I'll stick with AV as I play demo in dungeons and raids and destro for questing, as always your help is much appreciated :-)
    I always enjoy reading Jessicka's posts as well, always well written,concise,and knowledgeable.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    I always enjoy reading Jessicka's posts as well, always well written,concise,and knowledgeable.
    edited by kushlol
    Last edited by kushlol; 2013-01-24 at 02:55 PM.

Not to mention Fel Flame refreshing DoTs and removing potentially more powerful versions which means a lot more for Affliction than it does for the other two specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reolac View Post
    Not to mention Fel Flame refreshing DoTs and removing potentially more powerful versions which means a lot more for Affliction than it does for the other two specs.
    Fel flame extends...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kontempt View Post
    Fel flame extends...?
    It refreshes/updates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontempt View Post
    Fel flame extends...?
    corruption and unstable affliction

AV is a dps gain, but you have to understand that none of these dps gains are remotely calculable save for a few gimmick fights. AV is the worst of the three imo, the nature of the talent makes it impossible to balance, it will either be op or useless. The middle ground is going to be taken away by the more reliable alternatives.

For Demonology at least, I go mannoroth's. The HoG radius increase along with hellfire and immo and possibly void ray. Casting while moving is something demonology just doesn't need as much as other classes if you know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It's a weigh up between how much damage you'll loose by switching to Fel Flame for movement and how much you'll 'gain' from damage taken.

- Affliction tends to loose a lot as dropping MG uptime is a big DPS loss
    - Demonology FF has the same DPET and Fury generation as Shadow Bolt, but will cause you to Life Tap more often, but also has the option of switching to Meta and using Touch of Chaos.
    - Destruction will consume more mana, potentially leaving you OOM, but will generate more Embers for Chaos Bolts.

So while Demo and Destro have quite a lot of mitigation for movement built in, Affliction lacks it and with Affliction being the top spec, KJC is therefore probably disproportionately popular even amongst players of the other two specs who would stand to gain more in most situations from AV just because they see 'everyone has KJC'.
    it isn't because "everyone has KJC". Being able to cast while you're moving is a great benefit.

Deleted
    Whatever Jessicka said!