Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    great, another crappy bro-fest action movie.

So my first reaction was "dear god no". But you know, I probably would've had that reaction to ANY director helming a new Star Wars movie.

I was surprised at how much I didn't hate the new Star Trek movie. I still don't think much of J.J. Abrams though. Lost was an okay show at best and after a couple of seasons it was pure train wreck TV.

Part of me still can't believe this is really happening. I kind of want to cry :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Not the worst choice, I think they will turn out better than I,II,III and have less horrible dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I just hope that we get more, much more Jar Jar Binks material. I really felt like they left that storyline unfinished. It would be great if the new main Jedi character was a Gungan. Can you imagine how cool a J.J. Abrams Gungan would be? Lucas really messed up on his imaginings of the gungans, but Abrams will get it totally right. How can you go wrong with a hairless rasta space donkey?
    Please god please!

We'll see what comes out of it, but my hopes aren't high. It'll probably going to be a fun pop-corn flick that you'll watch one night on your computer when you're bored and will focus on merchandising while giving you a small nostalgia boost.
    Last edited by Nev12; 2013-01-25 at 02:18 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I liked what he's done with Star Trek, but Cloverfield...dear god. I know directing verses producing...time will tell.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alias, Lost, Fringe, Ghost Protocol....this man can do no wrong by me. I'll give him his lens flares for his altar of geek worship thank you.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    It appears that the search for a director to take on Disney and LucasFilm's Star Wars: Episode VII has finally come to an end, and while the likes of Jon Favreau and Matthew Vaughn were heavily rumored to be taking a stab at the legendary sci-fi franchise, it turns out that an unexpected helmer has landed the job. According to The Wrap, J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8) has signed on to direct Star Wars VII, which is targeting a 2015 release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...rs-episode-vii
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=73178
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...rs-episode-vii
    I enjoyed his revamp of Star Trek. That being said (and this is coming from a BIG Star Wars fan) I was NOT happy with the last three Star Wars movies. As stand-alone movies they were horrible. As a trilogy they tolerable if, and only IF, you could get passed some of the points...like an overly-whinny Anakin. It isn't until you sit down to all six movies that you can, to an extent, appreciate the story that the first three brought.

I'm afraid that no matter what they say, or do, I won't be convinced until I see who the new movie turns out.

Deleted
    I think Abrams made some incredible work .... (Lost doesn't count, he left after season 2).
    I did not know he left Lost after season 2 - my opinion of the man has shot up. (The first two seasons of Lost were excellent, then it fell apart.)

I like!

I enjoyed what JJ Abrams did to Star Trek, so I'm confident that he can pull of Episode VII.

Even if it's not that great, it will be miles ahead of Episodes I-III.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

i'll probably get crucified for saying this but in my opinion:

Ep. III > Ep. VI

The only negative thing about III was Hayden Christensen acting, the rest: The space battles, the lightsaber duels, all was good, while Ep. VI was good until the Ewoks showed up, then the whole movie went downhill

Empire is still the best Star Wars movie, no doubt about it.

I am not sure if I am able to fully look past that retarded et shit and cloverfield but well I guess it could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    BLAH, should have been Joss Whedon.
    This was the rumour I was rooting for, that man can do amazing work at directing. His work on Firefly would've been merit enough.

As for this one? Never seen the movies he directed and while I enjoyed the two episodes of Lost he did, I can't really have opinion on him based on that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It appears that the search for a director to take on Disney and LucasFilm's Star Wars: Episode VII has finally come to an end, and while the likes of Jon Favreau and Matthew Vaughn were heavily rumored to be taking a stab at the legendary sci-fi franchise, it turns out that an unexpected helmer has landed the job. According to The Wrap, J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8) has signed on to direct Star Wars VII, which is targeting a 2015 release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...rs-episode-vii
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=73178
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...rs-episode-vii
    And suddenly, I'm no longer optimistic about this.
    After the things he pulled with Star Trek...

10+ Year Old Account
    He's going to do a pretty good job I think. I really can't wait to see who the writers and actors will be.

2015? well, they're looking for a director which means the story/script is already done. does that mean old George had a script for future films the entire time?

also, JJ Abrams is amazing when it comes to sci-fi. I've loved all of his tv shows and movies, maybe that makes me bias but it's the same with Joss Whedon for me. I'll look forward to it. I really hope all the old characters that were killed in 1-6 don't somehow "magically" come back, because they're famous. (ie, Samuel Jackson)

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    2015? well, they're looking for a director which means the story/script is already done. does that mean old George had a script for future films the entire time?
    In old interview from early 80's Mark Hamill says that he has read parts of the scripts from what was supposed to be 7-9, and that whetever he'd participiate or not would remain to be seen because those movies would be done after something like 2010 anyhow.

If you're resilient, you can dig it up somewhere from Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post

also, JJ Abrams is amazing when it comes to sci-fi. I've loved all of his tv shows and movies, maybe that makes me bias but it's the same with Joss Whedon for me. I'll look forward to it. I really hope all the old characters that were killed in 1-6 don't somehow "magically" come back, because they're famous. (ie, Samuel Jackson)
    Lucas had a pretty solid idea for all 9 movies before IV released in 1977, then i hear in the 80's he even had scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    Lucas had a pretty solid idea for all 9 movies before IV released in 1977, then i hear in the 80's he even had scripts.
    To be honest while I believe he had sort of origination stories written up for each of the characters for writing purposes, I doubt he had the whole thing laid out in '77 and that it was written somewhere between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I base it on the reason that the original Star Wars movie was supposed to be the original trilogy summed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    To be honest while I believe he had sort of origination stories written up for each of the characters for writing purposes, I doubt he had the whole thing laid out in '77 and that it was written somewhere between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I base it on the reason that the original Star Wars movie was supposed to be the original trilogy summed up.
    The same interview where mark hamill claims to have read scripts for more movies, he also said Lucas told him in 1976 that he was flirting with the idea of even 4 trilogies. All before the original was even released. Who really knows, only Lucas would and he doesn't really talk about it