Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    Everytime I look on WoL to upload my fights I always see some mages dead last in DPS and its because they are fire, very rarely do I see a fire mage top DPS post nerf. My question is why do they keep going fire if they are going to be almost last in dps, is it bad to switch to arcane or frost? I know gear isnt a problem I see spreists and rets ahead of them.
    The real problem with tools like WoL is that its mostly used by the most informed and competitive players, and for pure DPS classes those players tend to switch to the theoretical best DPS spec, so that tends to leave the players of the other 2 specs as less informed and/or less skilled, so they further skew the specs performance away from what it probably would be with a good player.

Blizzard has aimed for a 5% delta between specs for these classes, but most players will drop their preferred spec for as little as a 1% delta.

So yes, Fire is still a viable and competitive spec, but it won't always win and since its not currently considered top dog for mage specs it won't show well on WoL.

Honestly, not standing in fire is more important than the slightly optimal spec for at least 90% of the people reading these forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Honestly, not standing in fire is more important than the slightly optimal spec for at least 90% of the people reading these forums.
    The problem is most of the 90% think they're in the 10%.

When people say play what you like they're not lying or trying to hurt your dps.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Deleted
    Im at 6/16 HC with 496ilvl and IMO fire is viable for ~50% of the current raid bosses - that is pretty much whole HoF due to cleavage, half MSV and maybe Lei Shi in Terrace. Not saying that this is 100% true but from my XP and playstyle - its how i roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen it is still viable. Perhaps not optimal but viable. Odd how many bring up Arcane when this thread was not really about Arcane. If you're skilled, odds are you'll do fine, so play what you prefer. Being as late in the tier has it is, if you felt you had to switch to Arcane because it was the theoretical best spec, then you really didn't need to since most Realm/World firsts have been claimed. If you like Arcane and that's why you play it more power to you, but playing a spec because some math wiz' decided it was the best is just silly unless the difference is so massive it would be like using a fish in your MH instead of a SP weapon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    Aphrel, you have a very bad understanding of the whole game. If you are in a raiding group that aims for server first or wants to progress fast then you should play the most powerful spec each time.
    If you play in a raiding guild that runs normal and Heroic modes but in a more relaxed pace, then as it is a game, you should play the spec that you enjoy to play most and not the one that you are forced to play.
    Most Mages where forced to play Fire when MoP released and till 5.1 nerfs just because Fire was way ahead from the other two specs and If you played any other spec you where bottom dps most of the times.
    Fire needs some skills now to perform good, it is not that strong as Arcane but the numbers are fine. I disagree completely that Fire is easier than Arcane to play because I tried both. Was doing much better dps with Arcane but it was so boring that I couldn't stay on it for more than 3 raids. So I went back to Fire and I may not be able to pull the high numbers Arcane does but I am a gamer who plays what he enjoys most and makes his own decisions.
    I find it more challenging to play and perform good in an "inferior" spec than doing fine in a powerful one. But unfortunately for most people like you, easy seems best!

I don't think a mage who does below par dps for your gear is in any position to talk about specs.

Perhaps learn your class and spec before you mouth off to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentist View Post
    I don't think a mage who does below par dps for your gear is in any position to talk about specs.

Perhaps learn your class and spec before you mouth off to others.
    Do you know me? Have we ever raid together? I inform you that I know my class and every spec of it inside out and I do not take instructions by Keyboard turners like you. Instead of criticizing in such a bad manner my post, you better say something constructive please next time.
    Last edited by Alphamage; 2013-01-26 at 11:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've already issued a warning in this thread in the hope of not receiving any more reports from it, bit seeing as people can't focus the discussion in a non-hostile direction and most of the discussion has been processed on this forum at least 5 times already, I am closing the thread.

I'll also skip handing out two infractions now coz I'm such a nice guy. Don't make me regret it please.