Question [ENHANCE] Damage Problems

Hey all,

I've recently joined a new guild and i had my 'review' last night and was told my dps is okay but could be better.

So I've gone through my logs and compared them to other shamans and it seems my 'melee' damage is listed higher than my actual attacks/spells compared to theirs..

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2307&e=2664

Example ^

I'm not entirely sure what i am doing wrong. I do make mistakes, like sometimes misjudge the time left on unleash flame and flame shock juuust as it wears off >.< Otherwise as far as i know i am using the priority list according to the sticky.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...g/Mew/advanced <- Armoury

I did spend majority of this xpack as resto/ele, and only finally got to go enhance again recently - and before that i skipped most of Cata

What sim do i use now? EnhSim says it hasn't been updated since late 2011. I used to use Rawr and EnhSim together.

Halp me fellow shamans, i don't want to fail my trial!

PS - I am not using Claws of Shek'zeer because i have never even seen one drop. =[

EDIT: Um in case they are private - http://oi46.tinypic.com/vpyow4.jpg
    Last edited by xap; 2013-01-25 at 02:48 AM.

Cant View the logs

As in they are private or something?

I uploaded a pic in the OP if that is the case to give you some idea.
    Last edited by xap; 2013-01-25 at 02:49 AM.

1 lava lash every ~16.5 sec seems pretty low.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u7i9khsuityt2cs8/ that our logs for last monday night to give you idea our enhance shammy is reforging all mastery

10+ Year Old Account
    What was your actual DPS? You could stand to increase Flameshock uptime by a few percent ...How the heck did your Fire Nova do so much of your Damage on Feng? Maybe I just haven't viewed my own logs in a long time for Feng, but that seems crazy to me.
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
    1 lava lash every ~16.5 sec seems pretty low.
    Well i wait until i have 5 stacks of searing flames

Quote Originally Posted by primalfears View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u7i9khsuityt2cs8/ that our logs for last monday night to give you idea our enhance shammy is reforging all mastery
    I am reforged all mastery too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    What was your actual DPS? You could stand to increase Flameshock uptime by a few percent ...How the heck did your Fire Nova do so much of your Damage on Feng? Maybe I just haven't viewed my own logs in a long time for Feng, but that seems crazy to me.
    http://oi45.tinypic.com/ors4cn.jpg

I have noticed my flameshock % is a tad lower than other shamans, when do you suggest refreshing it? Like unleash flame will be up and and everything else is on CD but flame shock has 10 seconds left, should i refresh then?

This would be so much easier if the logs wern't private >.<

And i don't know about the fire nova! I just aoe the adds that way :/

Deleted
    Pretty sure Searing Flames stacks to 5 before LvL comes off CD;

Judging from your screenshots you have posted you are prolly doing Unleash Elements when your not 100% on the target causing you to waste Static Shock procs.

Also Flame Shock glyph is 100% mandatory for Enhance in this current patch. Unleash - Flame Shock - insertrotationhere - Unleash - Earth Shock (about 15s left on FS) - insertrotationhere - Unleash - Flame Shock.

Also if your switching targets alot like for ex Amber Shapper - reshapping a DPS/Tank - if you have a Lava Lash coming off CD or is already off CD for 1-3s AND at the same time Unleash has >6s on CD, save Lava Lash so you can spread the super-flameshock from the boss onto the reshapped player.

Should see a substancial uptime increase of your flame shock damage and Lightning Shield aswell. I'd comment on Lightning Bolt but it really depends on the fight, how you behave in it (as in getting maximum MSW procs) and hardcasting it when certain conditions are met.

Hope I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecht View Post

Judging from your screenshots you have posted you are prolly doing Unleash Elements when your not 100% on the target causing you to waste Static Shock procs.

Also Flame Shock glyph is 100% mandatory for Enhance in this current patch. Unleash - Flame Shock - insertrotationhere - Unleash - Earth Shock (about 15s left on FS) - insertrotationhere - Unleash - Flame Shock.

Also if your switching targets alot like for ex Amber Shapper - reshapping a DPS/Tank - if you have a Lava Lash coming off CD or is already off CD for 1-3s AND at the same time Unleash has >6s on CD, save Lava Lash so you can spread the super-flameshock from the boss onto the reshapped player.

Should see a substancial uptime increase of your flame shock damage and Lightning Shield aswell. I'd comment on Lightning Bolt but it really depends on the fight, how you behave in it (as in getting maximum MSW procs) and hardcasting it when certain conditions are met.

Hope I helped.
    Searing flames does stack to 5 before the cooldown majority of the time, i still track it though because there are circumstances when it is not.

So i shouldn't unleash elements when running in to a mob and only while on it?

And i thought the flame shock glyph was a dps loss now according to EJ and the sticky here, by a few 100 dps.

I only hard cast LB when i have 3 charges and everything's on CD, and hard cast when i have 2 charges and unleash flame up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jecht View Post
    Yep, you should almost never have to wait for Searing Flames stacks, as long as your totem is down and actually hitting a target you'll get to 5 between each Lava Lash. Every now and then you will have about an extra ~3 Seconds between a Lava Lash and the next just because of Enh Timers, but 16.5 Seconds each one is waaay to long. Epicenter is a bit of a boner in that fight, but that shouldn't add an extra 6.5 Seconds to each LL.

Make sure you're simming your character as well, because at some Gear Levels Haste starts to become more valuable then you'd think.

Also HardCasting Lightning Bolts with 2-4 Stacks of MSW sometimes can be a DPS increase ... For Example you got 3 Seconds till SS comes off, and you have 3 Stacks of MSW, rather then cast Earth Shock you're better off Hardcasting a Lightning Bolt with 3 stacks. This means that your next SS will take full advantage of gaining MSW Stacks and you won't "Waste" any.

Other then those points and what the other guys have said I'm not sure... Just make sure your Priority is correct and you're not ever wasting a Global unless you get completely locked which does happen to Enh from time to time.

Read my post above yours Daverid.

As for simming, in my OP i asked what i should be using, just rawr on it's own now or.. ?

The Flame Shock glyph is not mandatory, but it does help the flow of the rotation.

Since you played Ele/Resto before now, I suggest using the glyph to get used to that rotation, as it changes somewhat when you don't use the glyph, and 5.2 bakes the glyph into Flame Shock with a default 30 second duration.

UE should be used on cooldown, because you have the UF talent. Situations where you are not near the boss should be rare and you should try to always be attacking something else, if you can't attack the boss. Use Spirit Walk as part of your pre-pull setup (e.g. pre-pot) to get yourself into position quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravemind View Post
    The Flame Shock glyph is not mandatory, but it does help the flow of the rotation.

Since you played Ele/Resto before now, I suggest using the glyph to get used to that rotation, as it changes somewhat when you don't use the glyph, and 5.2 bakes the glyph into Flame Shock with a default 30 second duration.

UE should be used on cooldown, because you have the UF talent. Situations where you are not near the boss should be rare and you should try to always be attacking something else, if you can't attack the boss. Use Spirit Walk as part of your pre-pull setup (e.g. pre-pot) to get yourself into position quickly.
    Well when we pull the boss, i'll FE, pre pot, sprint, wolves, UE, FS, (get to boss) SS, ascendance and then the priority onwards. Always, always using UE ASAP. Which is why when i am running back to the boss or to a new mob etc i will UE before i get to it since it's ranged. So what i am asking is, should i wait until i am actually AT the boss before casting it?

Use SimC found here: SimulationCraft

Comparing your logs to my own, of the same fight, with a similar kill time, your melee damage isn't abnormal. You had more Lightning Shield static shock procs than I did, but your fight was longer. The only difference is you had 88 hit and 49 crit, while I had a 64/64 split. That's the 4-piece at work. Mine also hit a little harder, because I have about 5% more Mastery and about 4k more attack power.

I did, however have 25 Lava Lashes versus your 21, with the shorter fight time. I know Lava Lash isn't at the top of the priority, maybe you were just unlucky and it was coming off cooldown at the same time as other, higher priority abilities (or perhaps Fire Novaing the shield adds ahead of it?), but Lava Lash was definately lacking.

Lightning Bolts were very similar, mine hit harder because of gear.

Tl;dr, I think you're just a little undergeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravemind View Post
    Comparing your logs to my own, of the same fight, with a similar kill time, your melee damage isn't abnormal. You had more Lightning Shield static shock procs than I did, but your fight was longer. The only difference is you had 88 hit and 49 crit, while I had a 64/64 split. That's the 4-piece at work. Mine also hit a little harder, because I have about 5% more Mastery and about 4k more attack power.

I did, however have 25 Lava Lashes versus your 21, with the shorter fight time. I know Lava Lash isn't at the top of the priority, maybe you were just unlucky and it was coming off cooldown at the same time as other, higher priority abilities (or perhaps Fire Novaing the shield adds ahead of it?), but Lava Lash was definately lacking.

Lightning Bolts were very similar, mine hit harder because of gear.

Tl;dr, I think you're just a little undergeared.
    Thanks very much, i will watch what i do when i am aoeing next time. =]

Deleted
    doing Unleash Elements when your not 100% on the target causing you to waste Static Shock procs.
    That's problematic, I have encountered same thing many times, when not melee range. (UE+LB..) I hate to waste LS procs, but on my case it's common. ^^

You're really should get 4pc bonus...getting a lfr-piece is a huge upgrade for you. Gems, enchants and reforges are like they should be. And, as previous posters said, you need to use LL more often, 16,5s is a huge cap. You do not need to actually follow searing flames stacks, there is 5 when LL is usable, just make sure your totem is firing something (and keep it up, ofc) :P

Now, I've noticed that the beginning fight is really important. We do a insane burst, i peak at 350-400k.

Took this from EJ, pretty similar than mine, exept sometimes i hit FE after FS, and if i'm only shaman (rarely, thank god), i use hero and SL-totem at some point, messing this all up! DD
    -4 Spirit Walk
    -2 Feral Spirit
    -1 Fire Elemental / Prepot
    0 Start running to the boss
    0.5 Unleash Elements
    2 FS
    2-3 arrive at boss
    3.5 Stormstrike
    5 Pop Ascendance, trinkets etc with next Stormblast
    6.5 Usually have 5 stacks of Searing Flame, so LL / Otherwise use ES or Stormlash Totem