Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    are people that thick and still think wow suffers from vanilla login server queues? LOL i havent seen one in years and my server is always a high pop one

Is there a way to ban people from certain parts of the mmo-c forums?

Deleted
    I think it was the Tarren Mill server I played at that time. Someone had created a fish macro, and started to fish in Northrend. Whole Northrend was lagging because of this macro, and eventually, the whole Northrend server crashed, and you could not go to that continent, because he was standing in one zone, fishing.

And there was also Wintergrasp that made whole Northrend lag, because of the amount of players in that one zone.

This is why, I prefer Guild Wars 2 kind of servers. Each zone is their own server, creating a whole world. If a zone starts to lag in Guild Wars 2, it lags only there, and nowhere else, unlike in World of Warcraft (at that time) if you played in one zone that had massive lag, the whole continent would lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Is there a way to ban people from certain parts of the mmo-c forums?
    so all you can read is lovey dovey comments about your game? yeh, thats why forums exist, may as well call it MMO Communism

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    so all you can read is lovey dovey comments about your game? yeh, thats why forums exist, may as well call it MMO Communism
    No, I just don't like random people spewing BS in one field of a pretty OK site. It's like going on reddit as someone who dislikes nudity and then subbing to /gonewild and commenting on every post made there saying OP is a slut/whore. You're not adding to the "convo" so you might as well fck off.
    There's nothing wrong with communism, why do you try to use it as an insult?

No, I just don't like random people spewing BS in one field of a pretty OK site. It's like going on reddit as someone who dislikes nudity and then subbing to /gonewild and commenting on every post made there saying OP is a slut/whore. You're not adding to the "convo" so you might as well fck off.
    There's nothing wrong with communism, why do you try to use it as an insult?
    im still right though. arenanet lied to the masses about what their game would do and nothing worked out like they fooled people into thinking. 'dynamic events change the world' LOL god, do you know the computing power let alone coding for that kind of thing to even occur in an mmo? even with its zones they couldnt do half the job warhammer and rift did.

zones in gw2 are crap. zones in wow are fantastic because each zone is like its own little world, its own immersion, atmosphere and storylines.

gw2 human zones are basically 'lets fuck up all dem centaurs'

Deleted
    im still right though. arenanet lied to the masses about what their game would do and nothing worked out like they fooled people into thinking. 'dynamic events change the world' LOL god, do you know the computing power let alone coding for that kind of thing to even occur in an mmo? even with its zones they couldnt do half the job warhammer and rift did.

zones in gw2 are crap. zones in wow are fantastic because each zone is like its own little world, its own immersion, atmosphere and storylines.

gw2 human zones are basically 'lets fuck up all dem centaurs'
    Why the heck you keep doing this game vs game bullshit? Yes all gw2 zone have their own stories, humans are getting hammered by centaurs and bandits so its logical that you need to help them kill um centaurs and bandits, charr zones are against ghosts and the flame legion its part of their lore/zone story.

Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    Why the heck you keep doing this game vs game bullshit? Yes all gw2 zone have their own stories, humans are getting hammered by centaurs and bandits so its logical that you need to help them kill um centaurs and bandits, charr zones are against ghosts and the flame legion its part of their lore/zone story.
    because wow doesnt dedicate 10 zones to just stupid ass storyline of humans vs centaurs thats why. its boring and mundane and the comparison is to prove that zones in games like gw2 while having a more 'realistic' look end up being less fun and engaging because they try too hard to root it in a real world type scenario.

and having shit reset 2 minutes later isnt exactly inspiring to keep on fighting eh. when i do a quest in WoW it STAYS DONE. i can never ever do it again unless im on a completely different character. zone design and fluidity is where gw2 failed big time, because once the 2 week shine wears off the glaring gaping holes in its setup show through. i expected more from arenanet after the masterpiece known as gw1, but no, i guess mike wants to make some hippy game

GW2 human zones are basically 'lets fuck up all dem centaurs'
    It's own immersion, atmosphere and storylines? That's your opinion. There is nothing to be gained from statements like this since I can simply counter it by saying the exact opposite. If you're going to try and have a discussion write out why or how they are more immersed, atmospheric or have better storylines.

And stv is "lets fuck up all them cats"...

I agree that a-net didn't deliver on quite a lot of things (e-gaming, no gear progression,...) but it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The promises they broke/didn't deliver on are generally quite easy fixes. E-gaming for example, remove portal from pvp, fix stealth bug, tone down bunkers, add more game types.

For tiered gear, I agree ascended items should never have been released to begin with (and their lame excuse about it only being needed in one area doesn't cut it especially not since it has better stats (and there are many other ways of making items required for one zone only)) however, simply not releasing a "tier" after ascended would be awesome.

A-net /GW2 are suffering from 2things.
    1. Poor/lack communication
    2. Not listening to the community (the culling issue they've "solved" now was solved(theoretically) by me a day after they wrote the explanation of what was happening, it shouldn't take them 4 months to figure this out and test it.

But here comes the issue, I don't feel like WoW did anything better up until possibly MoP (I stopped raiding after WotLK, and stopped completely after Cata). And as far as I can tell from speaking to people who still play, not much has changed and they are looking at the 5.2 patch for things to be fixed.

Edit:
    I also agree that GW1 had far better core mechanics than GW2, imo they "wowified" the game far too much instead of standing tall and doing their thing.

Deleted
    Why are we talking about wow in the gw2 subforum? I hate quests in all damn MMOS and to me dynamic events and hearts were a breath of fresh air, centaurs or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are we talking about wow in the gw2 subforum? I hate quests in all damn MMOS and to me dynamic events and hearts were a breath of fresh air, centaurs or not.
    Dunno maybe ask the OP who mentioned wow from the start and then the following 4 or 5 posters who started a wow vs GW2 servers (including yourself) discussion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Dunno maybe ask the OP who mentioned wow from the start and then the following 4 or 5 posters who started a wow vs GW2 servers (including yourself) discussion.
    Or maybe was replying to what fencers said (relating i prefer gw2 system to WoW system), without bashing bashing WoW, I was simply telling my experience with WoW. Now lets do something else lets compare my post my infiniteRetro post and point me exactly where i bash WoW?

snip

lets take wow out of it, and even go to simply gw1 since its relevant. arenanet NAILED everything you could possibly want in an online game in gw1. i want to know what the f#$K happened? whats worse is that that moron mike obrien even stated in no uncertain terms gw1 was a terrible game. and lets face it, arenanet got bit by the 'wow bug' and wanted to make an mmo on that kind of scale and impact. and as a result they promised big and didnt deliver.

never in the history of gaming have i actually seen a community request on a massive scale refunds over this. not even skyrim on ps3 was hit that bad with people wanting their money back. and since its ncsoft, since they got that lady from maple story to basically run the gem shop, its fairly obvious that they want to make sure you're always wanting to spend real money to get around the insane grinds they promised wouldnt be in the game.

misinformation? arenanet were THE biggest culprit of all

10+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe was replying to what fencers said (relating i prefer gw2 system to WoW system), without bashing bashing WoW, I was simply telling my experience with WoW. Now lets do something else lets compare my post my infiniteRetro post and point me exactly where i bash WoW?
    I dont believe you did bash wow, did I say you did somewhere not sure if thats aimed at me, all I was saying is this thread had wow all over it from the start so wasnt sure why you asked the question :S

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 04:10 PM ----------

lets take wow out of it, and even go to simply gw1 since its relevant. arenanet NAILED everything you could possibly want in an online game in gw1. i want to know what the f#$K happened?
    Well for once well have to disagree there, no game has ever created a game that can claim that. I think they maybe nailed everything you want, they nailed a lot of what I despise in an online game.
    Also the War Z furore is way ahead of anet refunds imo.
    Anet definitely do like to dish out misinformation through PR.

lets take wow out of it, and even go to simply gw1 since its relevant. arenanet NAILED everything you could possibly want in an online game in gw1. i want to know what the f#$K happened? whats worse is that that moron mike obrien even stated in no uncertain terms gw1 was a terrible game. and lets face it, arenanet got bit by the 'wow bug' and wanted to make an mmo on that kind of scale and impact. and as a result they promised big and didnt deliver.

never in the history of gaming have i actually seen a community request on a massive scale refunds over this. not even skyrim on ps3 was hit that bad with people wanting their money back. and since its ncsoft, since they got that lady from maple story to basically run the gem shop, its fairly obvious that they want to make sure you're always wanting to spend real money to get around the insane grinds they promised wouldnt be in the game.

misinformation? arenanet were THE biggest culprit of all
    Again you're coming down with subjective things like GW1>GW2 (although I agree you need to be more specific and lay out why you find this is the case if you bring it up)
    To me things that GW1 did better than GW2 are simple.
    PvP: lots of combat modes/styles, reasonably good balance, but most of all "Quick" fixes to obviously broken setups.
    PvE: challenging content, The first time I cleared UW/FoW/SF/Deep/UrgWar took me ages (I'm a vet and played since week one)
    Gear: I'm appalled by the introduction of ascended gear. I also hate that novelty gear (chefs outfit etc) can't be used in combat, seriously why the fuck would I want to have gear I only use in towns? I also preferred the profession specific armor in GW1, it was easy to recognize people/professions. The "crafted" mechanic from GW1 is also something that pleased me, I understand that things would be different with leather workers/smiths but I don't understand why they can't co-exist (although I sort of understand why this would be hard with people crying, why can't I craft this and so on)

I can also link things GW2 did better than GW1 but atm this isn't relevant.

I'm not aware of many people wanting refunds, I only know of refund demands by people who tried to use beta events as sneak previews and on those a-net did deliver.

Erm no, there was (dont play WoW anymore) a server (Outland EU) which had queues all the time during the course of cata and wotlk, not only at the release of an expansion. I also remember another server which was home server (Stormscale) had massive lag at the main city and the barrens due to massive amount of people online, it made duels and using ah unbearable. So yeah I still prefer gw2 system over WoW one.
    And that would be common across World of Warcraft and other MMOs how exactly?

Login queues typically only matter during major releases or expansions. I have yet to ever hit a log in queue in any game for any thing other than new release/expansion. So really this whole, "I'd rather play than stare at the login screen!" is at best HIGHLY circumstantial and worst, stupid.
    ^

I am sure the MMO genre is awash in people staring at a login queues to enter a city on any given Thursday.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine as those LFR & dungeon queues get longer and longer we'll see more of this. Put on your Kevlar and bump up your security, things are tipping over and it's going to get ugly ;-)
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I imagine as those LFR & dungeon queues get longer and longer we'll see more of this. Put on your Kevlar and bump up your security, things are tipping over and it's going to get ugly ;-)
    Lol seing as your first post was a direct comparison to wow and gw2 think you are the main reason were talking about wow in the first place :P But yes deflect that blame on to the wow crowd all you like, we see through it

Alright, no one gives a flip about World of Warcraft dungeon finder.

If you are talking about overflow servers, login queues and so forth in relation to Guild Wars that is fine.

If arguing about some quirk of World of Warcraft, lore, your pet tabby, etc. Chances your post is not awesome are like, 100%.

-- Fencers

Is there an ignore function for these forums?