Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

5 reasons why you may see a Ranger or Tinker class in WoW

So, we now have 11 classes in WoW. In stands to reason that Blizzard would want this game to end with 12 classes. Its generally not a good idea to end things off on an odd number. Of course the argument could be made that Blizzard can do whatever they want, and a 12th class may never appear in WoW. With that said, let's just assume that Blizzard is going to make a 12th class; What could that class possibly be? Well, let's look at the pattern of class implementation since TBC;

Death Knights: Filled the archetype of a Dark/Evil knight. Filled the missing scourge heroes from WC3. Filled the void of the ever popular Necromancer class. Went extremely well with its expansion. Filled in the third plate slot. Was a great counterbalance to the very popular Paladin class.

Monks: Filled in the archetype of Martial Arts fighter. Filled in third leather slot. Went a long way to improving Tank and Healer diversity in the game. Unique style and abilities fit in well with the general WoW class structure. Perfectly utilized the WC3 hero's abilities.

So what's left in WoW? What could the next class in WoW be? While numerous ideas have been tossed around, my theory is that the next class will either be Rangers or Tinkers. Here's five reasons why;

1. Ranged Weapons and Mail Armor

This factoid has been beaten to death, but its a well known fact that there's 2 glaring voids in current WoW class balance: Hunters are the only class that can fully use Guns and Bows, and that only 2 classes currently wear mail armor. Every other armor set is currently at three classes apiece. Hunters are also very powerful because they are the only class that are physical ranged. They hit faster and harder than magic users, and can kill you from afar. In battlegrounds and world PvP, Hunters are absolutely devastating PvP opponents (a different story in arena though). No one can match them. Bringing in another class can finally give them the competition they deserve.

Also bows and guns are cool. Other classes should be able to wield a gun and a bow than just a hunter.

Mail armor is also an issue. Hunters use AGI Mail, Shaman use AGI and INT Mail. This provides a great opening for a mail using class to enter the game.

2. Popularity

Hunters are the most popular class in the game by a wide margin. They're powerful, have lots of abilities, utilize numerous types of pets, etc. Also archers and bow users are popular archetypes in RPGs and other media. Legloas from Lord of the Rings, and Hawkeye from The Avengers are just two such examples. I'm sure this isn't lost on Blizzard, trying to find ways to bring in new players. I'm also sure you've had numerous players looking for that archer class, only to see that you had to drag a pet along with you.

3. WC3 Hero factor

There's quite a few WC3 heroes left that could help flesh out these potential classes. Goblin Tinkers, Dark Rangers, PotM, Dryads, Goblin Alchemist, Wardens, etc. could all be utilized to create the new class. For the Ranger pool alone we can pull abilities like Sinister Strike, Searing Arrow, Scout, Frost Arrow, Charm, Vengance, Abolish magic, and Mana flare. Toss in some abilities from the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter, and we have the makings of a pretty strong class template.

Tinkers are also pretty varied. You can utilize the abilities from Goblin Tinkers, Goblin Alchemists, Sappers, Shredders, and numerous examples of Tinkers in WoW. The Engineering archetype for RPG classes is almost as large as the Archer's.

4. The Race Factor

I'll keep this one brief; Several races can be Tinkers or Rangers/Archers. Also they don't have a significant appearance or weapon requirement to make them "feel" like they're the proper class (unlike another proposed future WoW class). This gives the classes significant flexibility in terms of implementation.

5. Hybrid Vigor

Tinkers have this as a slight advantage over Rangers. Its pretty easy to make a Tinker into a tank via their affiliation with Robots and machinery. I mean, what better tank for a dungeon than an actual tank or giant Robot? They can also heal because obviously technology improves medicine by default. A more advanced army also has more advanced medicine. This could help make Tinkers feel a bit different than already existing healing classes that use magic to heal.

Rangers could also heal, since they'd be more than likely users of nature magic. However, tanking would be a bit more difficult to pull off since we're talking about a ranged class. Regardless, I don't see another pure DPS class entering this game given the queue problems with LFR and LFD. Blizzard will more than likely stress a class that can do more than one role. Given that, both classes could potentially be implemented as any hybrid combination.

Conclusion

In the end, I feel that Tinkers have a large advantage over Rangers. They can be made to be a lot more distinct than Hunters. They can easily be made into a tri-spec (Tank/Heal/DPS) hybrid. Finally, they would be unlike any other class currently in the game. The main drawback for Tinkers would be their closeness to the Engineering profession. However, it shouldn't be that difficult to differentiate a class from a crafting profession. Robotics, Chemicals, Gunpowder, Magic-based tech, Steam, and gadgetry are all aspects that can be explored for this class. Also Tinkers have been shown to fight in melee range;

Rangers have the advantage of not being associated with a profession, and having a large archetype to work with from WC3, Diablo 3, and RPG lore in general. The problem for Rangers is making them completely distinct from Hunters. I mean, you're going to have to make them really different from the Hunter class to make their implementation work. Simply removing pets isn't enough. A melee spec and a healing spec could help, but even then, some overlap is possible.

Despite those drawbacks, those classes have the best chance of entering WoW as the next class. Clearly Blizzard could create a completely different class than these two, or maybe even a combination? We'll just have to wait and see.

Given your two options, probably Tinker.

There is one armor type that is even more monopolized than mail. Intellect Plate. Only one spec in the game uses this. Wouldn't mind some sort of Spellbreaker class that uses Int plate to heal, Int plate to DPS (Hurray for shockdins!) and str plate to tank.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I'd like to see a ranger class, maybe a healer/Ranged/melee specs (when I think of ranger I still kinda think of my EQ one from years ago)

Deleted
    I don't see much space for the Ranger concept since we already have Hunters. They'd be way too similar imo.

The Tinker sounds interesting though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I don't see much space for the Ranger concept since we already have Hunters. They'd be way too similar imo.

The Tinker sounds interesting though.
    I agree. Also Blizzard could just allow Marksmanship or Survival to not be so reliant on pets for DPS.

Tinker is a lot more broad and unique.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Given your two options, probably Tinker.

There is one armor type that is even more monopolized than mail. Intellect Plate. Only one spec in the game uses this. Wouldn't mind some sort of Spellbreaker class that uses Int plate to heal, Int plate to DPS (Hurray for shockdins!) and str plate to tank.
    Spellbreakers would be cool, but developing three specs that revolve around Spellbreaking and anti-magic would be a tough haul.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the idea of a tinkerer as it is not my thing, so I won't comment on that.

If ranger became a thing I would want it to be identical to one of Slyvanas's dark rangers. That or the Demon Hunter from D3.

On another note, I think this conversation has already been had in detail on the derailed 5 reasons demon hunter thread.

I'd rather see Tinker thank Demon Hunter or Blademaster. It'd be interesting class.

I think you can easily have a Tinker-style class that doesn't clash with the Engineering profession. Engineering provides stat buffs and passive utility, while the Tinker would have active abilities.

You'd have three specs: Ranged DPS (Grenadiers), Tank (BattleTank) and Healer (Mobile Medic). The first two would use Agi Mail, the latter would use Int Mail. The Ranged DPS would use ranged weapons, and the class would be based around modifying the weaponry to launch grenades, rockets, etc.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I think ranger would be too similar to hunter to be honest. The hunter class pretty well incorporates that archetype, just as I don't see there being a blademaster class while we have warriors.

Tinkmaster I could see maybe, but considering we have an engineering profession I'm not counting on it. Still, blizz could do that if they wanted to.

Whatever the next class is though, it will most likely heavily depend on its expansion. DKs and Monks were both chosen because they fit the themes and atmosphere of their expansions well, not the other way around. And blizz doesn't have a set pattern. They make new races and classes as they feel they're ready for them and the timing is right. So blizz could decide they're ready for a new class next expansion, or it could be several expansions from now, or they may never decide there's room for another. But whenever they do make the class, I think it will depend on what that expansion turns out to be.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I totally believe tinkerer will be added sometime during WoW's lifespan. But it won't be the final Tier 2 class.

It'll be added as a T3 class.

Ranger is not going to be added, it's just a petless hunter. The closest you can hope for the Ranger is if blizz makes a Demon Hunter spec that works like a Dark Ranger/D3 DH.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Just ameliorate the Marksman Hunter playstyle and we pretty much have a Ranger right there. Also, we don't need another influx of Night Elf/Blood Elf hunters with a poorly spelled variation of "Legolas" as their name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    I'd like to see a ranger class, maybe a healer/Ranged/melee specs (when I think of ranger I still kinda think of my EQ one from years ago)
    I don't get where people get this information that rangers can actually heal. They are hunters who specialize in marksmanship, which is already covered by the hunter class. There would barely be any difference between them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Just ameliorate the Marksman Hunter playstyle and we pretty much have a Ranger right there. Also, we don't need another influx of Night Elf/Blood Elf hunters with a poorly spelled variation of "Legolas" as their name.
    LoL! I never even thought of that.

Tinker/Tinkerer is definitely the way to go.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I literally *just* posted something like this in another thread (The one about Blademasters), so I'll repost here:

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose
    Eh, given the increasing amounts of steampunk influence in parts of the game (Friggin tanks and skyships and shit), and since both factions have either Gnomes or Goblins and plenty of tech going for them, I could see something completely out of left field, like an "Engineer" based class that "tames" (like Hunters) and/or "builds" (Like DK/Lock Summons, fixed options) mechanical mobs.

Tinker:
    Ranged Physical DPS
    Uses ranged weapons + Agi mail + perma mechanical pet. Pet is strongest in this spec. Play style most similar to hunters.

Scrapper:
    Ranged Physical DPS
    Uses ranged weapons + Agi mail + Temp Summoned mechanical pet (Like Shaman Elementals) + Mecha forms. Play style most similar to Demo Lock trying to maintain alternate form for more damage.

Technomancer:
    Caster DPS
    Used spellpower weapons + Int mail + perma mechanical pets. Spell schools a mainly a mix of Nature (Lightning) and Fire. Play style somewhere between Elemental and Mage.

I'm pulling shit (Like the spec names) out of my ass, obviously, and I have no idea how it would tie in with the lore for the next expac, but I can see Blizz pulling something whacky out for the 12th class, since Demon Hunter, while widely desired, doesn't really have a clean and easy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuzard View Post
    I don't get where people get this information that rangers can actually heal. They are hunters who specialize in marksmanship, which is already covered by the hunter class. There would barely be any difference between them.
    I still think of Rangers from my EQ days, they were kind of a Hunter\druid hybrid with some light melee thrown in.

In stands to reason that Blizzard would want this game to end with 12 classes. Its generally not a good idea to end things off on an odd number. Of course the argument could be made that Blizzard can do whatever they want, and a 12th class may never appear in WoW. With that said, let's just assume that Blizzard is going to make a 12th class; What could that class possibly be? Well, let's look at the pattern of class implementation since TBC;
    Who says they are ending at 12? They already implied that as long as we keep playing they'll keep making expansions. For all we know there will be 16 classes by the time WoW ends.

Death Knights: Filled the archetype of a Dark/Evil knight. Filled the missing scourge heroes from WC3. Filled the void of the ever popular Necromancer class. Went extremely well with its expansion. Filled in the third plate slot. Was a great counterbalance to the very popular Paladin class.

Monks: Filled in the archetype of Martial Arts fighter. Filled in third leather slot. Went a long way to improving Tank and Healer diversity in the game. Unique style and abilities fit in well with the general WoW class structure. Perfectly utilized the WC3 hero's abilities.

So what's left in WoW? What could the next class in WoW be? While numerous ideas have been tossed around, my theory is that the next class will either be Rangers or Tinkers. Here's five reasons why;
    Yes DKs went extremely well with WotLK and Monks, btw, go perfectly with Pandaria. So what expansion do Ranger/tinker go with? Certainly not the next expansion which seems almost certain to be Burning Legion.

2. Popularity

Hunters are the most popular class in the game by a wide margin.
    This is a false statement. Paladins are the most played class in WoW by a decent margin, followed by Druids THEN Hunters.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/class-population/

4. The Race Factor

I'll keep this one brief; Several races can be Tinkers or Rangers/Archers.
    Several races can be lots of things. Without knowing all the class options Blizzard is kicking around, it's not safe to assume that Tinker/Ranger are any more compatible with races than a host of other classes.

5. Hybrid Vigor
    This assumes that Blizzard *wants* to keep adding hybrids to the game. There's already a ton of complaints that pure DPS classes are a dying breed and are under-utilized and under-appreciated.

All of those issues aside, I'd love for Tinkers to be added to WoW someday. Even though Tinker was probably my least favorite hero in WC3, I agree that it'd be an interesting choice in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinker might be cool. An engineer-esque class sounds interesting.

Ranger, though? Not a chance imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would you distinguish a Ranger class from a Hunter class as a distinct, unique class without making one feel more like a spec of the latter?

To me, having a Hunter and a Ranger class is kinda like having a Rogue and a Thief class or a Wizard and a Mage; they are variations of the same thing. I would be interested in what ideas people had to overcome that issue.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

a ranger is a hunter, blizz never tires to show us that. see how dark rangers in hillsbrad have camouflage and spider pets.

a tinker is an engineer.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I'd personally like to see the Tinker the most, out of all of the hero classes I've seen suggested so far. The engineering profession is nowhere near the same as a Tinker class, and there doesn't need to be any ability overlap whatsoever between the two, any more than there's an overlap between enchanting and mages.

The Warcraft universe has a unique blend of fantasy and technological elements. The technological elements are unfortunately severely underrepresented in actual playable classes. There's hunter traps and...not much else. The Tinker would fill a gaping hole in that regard. They also can be made to have just about any combination of actual roles, since they rely on ingenuity and gadgets rather than personal fighting ability to do their work. Chemical sprays, darts and guns to deliver potions for healing. Getting in close with steam-enhanced melee attacks. Taking hits with powered armor or mechs. Staying at range lobbing bombs and firing guns or arrows or buzz saws or whatever else is at hand. They could even get a zookeeper spec centered around plopping down turrets, robots and walking bombs. There are playstyles that we can't even think of that they could fill.

Finally, with a Burning Legion expansion at hand, that doesn't necessarily rule them out thematically. The Burning Crusade was loaded down with technology. Siege weapons, dimensional ships, mana forges, teleporters. There were entire races of demon engineers there, cyborg monstrosities, flak cannons. A Tinker would not have been out of place in that landscape.