Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Ive seen probably 3-4 people die, working in an emergency room it was easy to transition, I had seen at least dozens of people arrive unresponsive without any pulse when paramedics found them, and their odds of survival at that point are basically 1 in 20. When I finally saw someone arrive alive and die afterwards, it wasn't too difficult. The deaths weren't very gruesome, they were intense and stressful situations, but I always look at a death in that context from the perspective of what I could have done. I always do the most I can for these patients, and if they don't survive I don't hold myself accountable.

Deleted
    Yeah, when I was a kid I saw a car accident involving a truck, with body parts scattered all over the road.

When I was in my early teens I saw a guy driving a car, and instead of hitting the break he sped up and ran over a couple that was sitting on a fence, and then hitting a tree, all of it happening in front of my house.

You know bored in class today I was thinking about this. I have never seen anybody dead before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    You know bored in class today I was thinking about this. I have never seen anybody dead before.
    You obviously wernt bored enough to open liveleak eh?

Watched my grandpa die in on his death bed as did the rest of my extended family on my moms side.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to make the decision to take my father off life support and stayed with him until the end. Part of me was relieved that he didn't have to suffer any longer, but needless to say that experience was devastating. I crawled inside a bottle of scotch for a few days.

Advantage I guess with having all of my extended family living overseas, I never see them die, it's usually just a phone call.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Watched my grandpa die in on his death bed as did the rest of my extended family on my moms side.
    I wish I'd have had one of those for my grandpa, we were gonna visit him a month before he died but it got cancelled. Like ~1-2 months after he had died(no one had told me he was dead) it was brought up in a discussion when the relatives were gathered and that was pretty shocking, had only met him a handful of times in my life because my father and him didn't have the greatest connection but it would had been nice to get some closure...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I do have some insight into seeing death in general--

Actually seeing someone die that you don't know is much easier to do than seeing someone you do know dead. After seeing hundreds of people dying/dead and visiting one family member who had died recently, the one traumatized me much more than the hundreds. If you know the five stages of grief, reaching acceptance is difficult, you will be stuck compromising, generally, for the longest time, if not forever. The only way to really escape is to realize that you will not have new memories of the person but the person affected you/influenced you, hopefully in a positive way, and that you were lucky to have the person for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I wish I'd have had one of those for my grandpa, we were gonna visit him a month before he died but it got cancelled. Like ~1-2 months after he had died(no one had told me he was dead) it was brought up in a discussion when the relatives were gathered and that was pretty shocking, had only met him a handful of times in my life because my father and him didn't have the greatest connection but it would had been nice to get some closure...
    The worst part besides the fact that he died was watching him being zipped up in a body bag.

It was also crazy because all the dogs went into his room before anyone else and jumped up on the bed, so it's like they knew he was about to go.

At least one time that I know of. I was driving my car on my way to somewhere when this guy on a motorcycle came flying by at like 100mph (in a 45mph zone) I remember thinking "that guys going to end up dead" as he flew by. Well, low and behold, I saw him blast through the intersection at a high rate of speed, and as he went through the intersection a car coming from the opposite direction turned left into him and knocked him off his bike like 30 feet into a light post on the corner. Yeah, he was dead after that. I also once saw the aftermath of a giant car accident, but didnt actually see the accident happen. I had just returned to LA from driving cross country to NY. I was rolling through Pasadena when all of the sudden the traffic came to a dead stop on the 134 freeway (like a dead stop; people were out of their cars and walking around on the freeway) I remember thinking how lucky I was to run into the worst traffic I had ever seen in my life after having been on the road for 4 days straight. I thought to myself "there better be a lot of dead bodies to cause traffic like this." Well, there were a lot of dead bodies. Once traffic started moving again I looked out my passenger side window and saw an overturned van that had been burned to a crisp, and next to the van a giant white tarp covering a a pile of bodies.

Seen two suicides. One got hit by a train and was pretty much obliterated and the other jumped from a multi-storey car park.

At first I laughed when I saw them jump because it was like " Holy shit is that actually happening? " and then yeah, splat. I feel sorry for the guy she landed near, he had more than rain on his trousers and shirt.

Gore doesn't bother me and on a whole neither of them bothered me that much, especially suicides. Sure it sucks that someone died and all, but there are people that get dealt a shit hand in life and get on with it, so I don't really sympathize with people that top themselves.

I have, it happened on this metal festival called summerbreeze. Most people the huge storm over the pukkelpop festival in Belgium because people died and alot of them got hurt. Now When the storm over pukkelpop happened i was in germany at the summerbreeze open air festival and that night the same storm hit summerbreeze. My heel had been completely ripped open and wel i had to get a clean band aid every few hours. Now i went to the first aid post at around 12.00 to get a clean bandaid and the storm was over (it was from around 2 am till 8-9 am). When i was at the first aid post the brought in a young guy with the thing around his neck (idk whats in called in english, it's for when your neck gets busted or so) and everyone was in panic and such. Later i went back for a new bandaid because the mud had made it dirty and we saw the guy with a blanked over him, he had died. It kinda screwed our moods even more, the morale was low already because at pukkelpop alot of friends of ours were there and we didn't know who was fine and who wasn't (none of them got hurt we heard afterwards when we were back in Belgium) and yeah. We were all silent all day it hit us really hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched my dad suffocate to death from a collapsed lung...cancer, never smoked.

Seen my aunt (who was more like grandmother to me) die in hospital. Cancer. My family was pretty much prepared for it, she wasn't young and has been sick for quite some time. Still was quite hard when it happened, but I don't think it had much of an impact on me. People die, you can't help it.

I'm a nursing student, so yes I have. The one death that impacted me most (not counting people I actually know) was naturally the first time I saw someone die up close. I was on my first hospital training, and I was left alone in a room to hold the hand of an older woman suffocating to death due to COPD. I'll never forget having to answer her phone to tell her loved ones what was going on, the panic she had in her eyes and how she held my hand as if it was the last thing keeping her alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I watched my dad suffocate to death from a collapsed lung...cancer, never smoked.
    That really sucks...

My dad's lung collapsed as well when i was very little. He was rushed to the hospital however. I dont know if he was in any significant amount of danger, well as little danger as a collapsed lung poses, but it didnt seem like so big a deal. I guess that cancer could have destroyed his lung capacity though?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    I'm a nursing student, so yes I have. The one death that impacted me most (not counting people I actually know) was naturally the first time I saw someone die up close. I was on my first hospital training, and I was left alone in a room to hold the hand of an older woman suffocating to death due to COPD. I'll never forget having to answer her phone to tell her loved ones what was going on, the panic she had in her eyes and how she held my hand as if it was the last thing keeping her alive.
    Do you guys see dead people during your education? As in dissections? I know its not really you doing the work but nevertheless the nurses are where the doctors are.

Deleted
    A few times, I've never seen someone die. I don't really deal with death, I just live with it (pun not intended).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, and I never want to. I can barely handle people being killed on TV/movies.