Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The U.S, Then France, Now Russia. Gay rights issues

http://www.france24.com/en/20130125-...gay_propaganda

n a sign of the passions caused by the bill, clashes broke out between supporters and opponents outside the Duma, a few hundred metres from the Kremlin in central Moscow.

Supporters, some of them holding Russian Orthodox icons and crosses, cheered and threw eggs as police hauled away gay activists, one of whom was splashed with green paint. Police said 20 people had been held.

The law must be passed in three readings by the lower house, approved by the upper house and then signed by Putin to go into force. It would ban the promotion of gay events across Russia and impose fines of up 500,000 roubles ($16,600) on organisers.
    Most of us are familiar with the U.S stance on this issue. We recently saw protests in France against gay rights. Russia is now in the spot light.

Deleted
    Shame, just as I was starting to have a little hope and respect for Russia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Shame, just as I was starting to have a little hope and respect for Russia.
    Good job, butt hurt homophobic old men suddenly represent Russia? get a grip.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Good job, butt hurt homophobic old men suddenly represent Russia? get a grip.
    They represent the Government don't they?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They represent the Government don't they?
    Well, you're right with this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as gay rights, Russia has been in the spotlight for not giving a crap for a while. This is where the member of 'Right said Fred' got knocked out during a protest many years ago.

I'd bet it passes...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    It's a shame really, considering russia was atheist for many years.

The hell is "homosexual propaganda"?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    http://www.fox.com/glee/

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Forgive me for possibly mis-understanding this, but am i right in thinking these countries are against gay rights? Now, I'm not gay and if I'm honest the whole idea of it makes me cringe BUT you cannot surely stop people feeling this way. I mean, it's their life, what possible outcome will this have? Absolutely nothing, gay people will be happy and the non gay won't really give a shit...so why all the hate?

I mean, we're almost going back to 1939.............

When will society finally grow up and accept things like this? Jesus, first it was black people's rights and then women's rights....and now this......just wake up stupid government's of the world let people do what THEY want to do. (Within reason ofcouse, but I see no issues with this specifically)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    It's a shame really, considering russia was atheist for many years.
    Not in practice... Look at pictures of red square...

That's Kremlin to the right and one of the most majestic churches you will ever see, to the left.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Forgive me for possibly mis-understanding this, but am i right in thinking these countries are against gay rights? Now, I'm not gay and if I'm honest the whole idea of it makes me cringe BUT you cannot surely stop people feeling this way. I mean, it's their life, what possible outcome will this have? Absolutely nothing, gay people will be happy and the non gay won't really give a shit...so why all the hate?

When will society finally grow up and accept things like this? Jesus, first it was black people's rights and then women's rights....and now this......just wake up stupid government's of the world let people do what THEY want to do. (Within reason ofcouse, but I see no issues with this specifically)
    The reason why thing are like they are is because every government in the world only has old people, that's why.

Deleted
    Allegedly the Russian Army has major problems with male sexual abuse/prostitution. I heard about it on a recent radio program, I can't quite remember what it was called, but I've found a (brief) old BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6356707.stm and a (probably biased) Pravda one http://english.pravda.ru/society/sto..._prostitute-0/. But as ever, politicians prefer to pander to the Russian Orthodox Church.
    Last edited by mmoc2f7dfebfb1; 2013-01-26 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll get over themselves eventually

10+ Year Old Account
    A majority of Americans aren't against gay rights, and the trend is continuing.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159089/re...-marriage.aspx
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/ha...-marriage.aspx

Like 3/4 of people under 30 are in favor of same sex marriage for example

I can't speak for France or Russia but I'm sure the trends are similar
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK, they define it as anything that "promotes" homosexuality. Because you know, you totally can catch it. Or something.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Allegedly the Russian Army has major problems with male sexual abuse/prostitution.
    The Russian army now checks for things like tattoos to find potential signs of homosexuality. There was a link on Reddit about it yesterday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sexuality.html

oh Russia,

ohh, well I already payed 500$ to learn Russian I'm not stopping now.

Deleted
    They have purpousefully left that undefined, so they can make it up as they go. Homosexuals in Russia think it will involve the publication of anything that raises awareness of persecution of homosexuals or anything that promotes equal rights for the homosexuals. Or the public display of homosexuality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post

The Russian army now checks for things like tattoos to find potential signs of homosexuality. There was a link on Reddit about it yesterday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sexuality.html
    Doesn't surprise me - and I didn't need to read the article to believe it. Similar things currently happen in the Turkish Army - you can be discharged if you "prove" you are homosexual, as it is treated as a mental illness. Not in Turkey as a whole - just in the military. You have to bring actual "evidence" - even photos of you partaking in sexual activity! (Surely that's illegal?). This is while many Turkish military personnel partake in homosexual activity anyway but don't identify themselves as gay and face no discrimination.

It's much more serious in the Russian Army with the widespread institutionalized crime, abuse and bullying. But the government won't try to sort that out, they'll just get more power for themselves with dodgy legislation while claiming to be appealing to the "popular masses".

10+ Year Old Account
    Its little surprise, seeing the rigid political and ethnic stance russia has. They would care more about peoples pathetic fantasies in fairy tale gods and demons then they would in real human beings having the right to be happy.

There governments are also probably tied to the church money wise.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Doesn't surprise me - and I didn't need to read the article to believe it. Similar things currently happen in the Turkish Army - you can be discharged if you "prove" you are homosexual, as it is treated as a mental illness. Not in Turkey as a whole - just in the military. You have to bring actual "evidence" - even photos of you partaking in sexual activity! (Surely that's illegal?). This is while many Turkish military personnel partake in homosexual activity anyway but don't identify themselves as gay and face no discrimination.

It's much more serious in the Russian Army with the widespread institutionalized crime, abuse and bullying. But the government won't try to sort that out, they'll just get more power for themselves with dodgy legislation while claiming to be appealing to the "popular masses".
    don't you love how homophobes, people who have an irrational fear of gay people, want to get homosexuals classed as having a mental disorder. Which of the two seems more irrational, the happy same sex couple, or the one shouting hate at them for loving one another.

Anyway, to hell with russia. the only ones I feel sorry for are the gay russian citizens who live in an oppressive society.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-01-26 at 03:11 AM.