tanking challenge mode in ret gear ?

hey i want get some gold medals in challgne mode and seems i need to be the tank can i just use my ret gear with a shield and a 1 hander or do i need to farm real tank gear ? i have tanked 16/16 normal modes 10man in this gear and it was no problems.

Deleted
    Well currently, what would be classed as "ret" gear is actually the correct way to gear prot

hit to cap -> exp to hard cap -> haste.

we gain more survivability through holy power generation and SoI than we would through dodge/parry

so reforging into the hard exp cap which u wont have in ret...providing your skilled and know what your doing.....you should be fine

10+ Year Old Account
    challenge modes are what heroics should of been, things hit like trucks.
    trash, bosses, so on...you could "try" but expect a lot of 1 shots.
    possibly...high mastery ret gear...
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I did mine in mostly haste gear, just make sure you have good tank trinkets.

i only have the tuslong tanking tinket atm but can just go ah and get the stam/ dodge dmf one

Seems like the most important thing is knowing at what point it is most appropriate to pop cooldowns. My experience has been that without tank deaths in challenge modes, I have been very close to gold times.

From what I've gathered so far, hit to cap -> exp to hard cap -> haste.

this guy was correct, but I'm fairly certain mastery is more important than haste. Could someone fill me in on why we need to be hard capped on the expertise? I didn't pick that information up during my readings.

Deleted
    Been wondering about this myself.

I use Haste for raiding and that's fine, but have been actively grabbing "tank" pieces in order to be equipped for CMs.

Is that actually necessary or is the Haste setup workable? Would like to hear from other tanks who completed their CMs in Haste gear, preferably after the SoI AoE nerf since it's huge survivability drop not having it proc from all the mobs hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rahkarn View Post
    this guy was correct, but I'm fairly certain mastery is more important than haste. Could someone fill me in on why we need to be hard capped on the expertise? I didn't pick that information up during my readings.
    Mastery isn't better than haste. The only reason you'd want to do mastery above haste is if you're 25man due to the nature of the damage and not needing to do extra damage or self healing yourself, and even then it's debatable.

We need exp hardcap because our greatest survival is a constant source of holy power. Without hard exp we don't get that, so the value of haste and mastery as survival stats increase until all our attacks hit. By hitting the hardcap we get an extraordinarily predictable stream of holy power and that is the biggest safety net and survival technique you could ever possibly want.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I did all of them with haste gear, most after the SoI nerf and if you stack haste or mastery I don't think it will make a difference except for dps. Stacking either won't stop you from being one shot, smart use of cds is what you need to worry about

......................Protection Paladin PoV.....................

I do my challenge modes in all haste gear. I drop below hit and expertise cap so I can stay above 30% spell haste. That gives me the extra tick on Sacred Shield which I find more useful than the hit/expertise cap. I'm moving or kiting enough that the extra healing from SS is more useful than more Holy Power.

I typically match or out heal my healer when doing a Challenge Mode. We're very strong for challenge modes in full haste gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    challenge modes are what heroics should of been, things hit like trucks.
    trash, bosses, so on...you could "try" but expect a lot of 1 shots.
    possibly...high mastery ret gear...
    So you'd have heroics scale like CM, and only the top of the top raiders being able to complete them? That wouldnt go over will the the other 9mil+ players that arent hardcore.

OT: You could always try, but dont expect to get too far lol.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    So you'd have heroics scale like CM, and only the top of the top raiders being able to complete them? That wouldnt go over will the the other 9mil+ players that arent hardcore.

OT: You could always try, but dont expect to get too far lol.
    I don't think that's what he means.
    The current heroics feel as difficult as the normal mode dungeons that you do while leveling, because the "jump" in difficulty is quickly patched with better gear. To me that doesn't quite fit the description of heroic mode. The challenge modes are more difficult even if you forget about the timer. I think that difficulty is what he is talking about. The timer is just something that adds another layer of difficulty by making groups to work harder and adds a little psychological pressure.

I understand that if heroics were on a similar level of difficulty with challenge modes, they would've required too big of a time investment for casuals. Still, I would've preferred the heroics to be slightly more challenging.

As for the actual topic at hand, if you have crit on your gear, I would advice you to replace those with something with any combination of hit, expertise, haste or mastery. After that I think the trinkets are what matter most.
    Last edited by mmoc92be82a88b; 2013-01-26 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Missed a word

Should be possible. The bosses are easy and more of a dps race - While certain trash packs will demolish you if you dont rotate cds properly
    That's the thing about RNG. It doesn't hate anybody - it just goes about its business, oblivious to the world around it.

"We need exp hardcap because our greatest survival is a constant source of holy power. Without hard exp we don't get that, so the value of haste and mastery as survival stats increase until all our attacks hit. By hitting the hardcap we get an extraordinarily predictable stream of holy power and that is the biggest safety net and survival technique you could ever possibly want. "

thanks for the insight

tanked 9/9 in nearly full ret gear, since it's what I wear to raid every night regardless. Prot paladins don't die, period. There are an infinite amount of cds you can chain. Depending how competent your healers and dps are with stuns etc, you can just faceroll right through challenge modes.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 06:04 AM ----------

also I've found that hardcapping expertise is relatively worthless as expertise only affects crusader strike as far as holy power generation is concerned. Shield of the righteous parries also occur.

My playstyle revolves around abusing judgement, avenging wrath, and sanctified wrath. It's also one of the reasons I use ret 4 pc.

Played correctly, sanctified wrath blows holy avenger and divine purpose out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by djtravitrav View Post
    My playstyle revolves around abusing judgement, avenging wrath, and sanctified wrath. It's also one of the reasons I use ret 4 pc.

Played correctly, sanctified wrath blows holy avenger and divine purpose out of the water.
    Set bonuses are disabled for challenge modes. Just letting ya know.

Also not talking about challenge modes in the second post.