Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Comp turning off by itself

Just wanted to get the MMO champs opinion why a comp would turn off byself besides a Virus or a bad CPU fan.

Could possibly be power supply. Need more details of what you're doing when it turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim89 View Post
    bad CPU fan.
    A bad CPU fan is only part of the overheating problem. There are a variety issues that can cause overheating forced shutdown.

Bad/underspec PSU is also a problem that can cause shutdowns. If the voltage supplied by the PSU is unstable, the system will be unstable or 'protection' features kick in and shutdown the computer. If the system draw is more than what the PSU can handle or the PSU is overheating, the PSU's protection circuits will shut the unit down.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It gives me 4 Mobo beeps when it restart only sometimes

So, you're doing what exactly when it shuts off and the mobo beeps? Streaming? Playing a demanding game? Nothing?

The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id say it it the power supply. But the beeps also say bad RAM to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like hardware to me, though there are many issues that could cause random shutdowns, any one of the components connected to your computer could be causing it. You mentioned 4 beeps, without knowing what kind of bios you have (it'll be visible when you first power up Examples such as AMI, Award, etc...) and the sequence of beeps (which ones are short and which ones are long) It's tough to know exactly what your computer is complaining about.