Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    That kind of attitude is why we still have countries to begin with and are not just Humans.

If everyone in the world could get over themselves, their past, their religion we could be colonizing the solar system by 2100.
    Sure I wouldn't mind some awesome utopia but I have to live within today's reality.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Isiildur View Post
    Do you know what JSTOR is?
    i only know the basics that wikipedia describes, is there something more to it???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Sure I wouldn't mind some awesome utopia but I have to live within today's reality.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 09:46 PM ----------

i only know the basics that wikipedia describes, is there something more to it???
    Everything in there was paid for with public funding.

Its like paying taxes to have roads fixed. Then being forbidden to use the roads beause you didn't pay for it.

Then aaron came and said that was bs and tried to make copies of the roads for everyone's use. Then he was bullied by the law and given double the sentence given for murder,until he commit suicide.

Everything in there was paid for with public funding.

Its like paying taxes to have roads fixed. Then being forbidden to use the roads beause you didn't pay for it.

Then aaron came and said that was bs and tried to make copies of the roads for everyone's use. Then he was bullied by the law and given double the sentence given for murder,until he commit suicide.
    he made it available to the world... i dont see how the rest of the world paid for it... and really? you think everything the government knows the people should know? how old are you?

also he was never sentenced, so please dont add to the fire with wrong information - that is exactly how people make it a bigger issue than it is. the reason he didnt wait for his sentence is cause he knew it would be light and wanted to go out a martyr so people would easily be misinformed. dont believe the hype, he would not have received 30years and a million dollar fine for this and we all KNOW it.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2013-01-27 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    he made it available to the world... i dont see how the rest of the world paid for it... and really? you think everything the government knows the people should know? how old are you?

also he was never sentenced, so please dont add to the fire with wrong information - that is exactly how people make it a bigger issue than it is. the reason he didnt wait for his sentence is cause he knew it would be light and wanted to go out a martyr so people would easily be misinformed. dont believe the hype, he would not have received 30years and a million dollar fine for this and we all KNOW it.
    Yeah, he totally killed himself voluntarily to be a martyr.

YES THE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW EVERY FUCKING MINUTE FACET OF THE GOVERNMENT'S KNOWLEDGE. KEEPING THAT SHIT HIDDEN IS BAD. BAAAAAD.

10+ Year Old Account

Considering the history of the US court rulings regarding internet 'crimes', I wouldn't be surprised if he got that sentence especially when a child gets a $1 million fine for downloading music.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everything in there was paid for with public funding. Its like paying taxes to have roads fixed. Then being forbidden to use the roads beause you didn't pay for it. Then aaron came and said that was bs and tried to make copies of the roads for everyone's use. Then he was bullied by the law and given double the sentence given for murder,until he commit suicide.
    JSTOR is a non-profit organization but not funded solely through tax dollars. Your metaphor is inaccurate and false. Also the rights to the articles did not belong to JSTAR but belonged to the authors of the articles. They were on loan to JSTAR for academic purposes after the authors were sometimes monetarily compensated. He circumvented what can sometimes be a hefty price (some institutions are charged fifty thousand for access.)
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account

I highly doubt that he committed suicide just to be a "martyr."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account

YES THE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW EVERY FUCKING MINUTE FACET OF THE GOVERNMENT'S KNOWLEDGE. KEEPING THAT SHIT HIDDEN IS BAD. BAAAAAD.
    JSTOR doesn't continue the governments knowledge. It contained the knowledge of citizens that gave JSTOR the rights to their works. Again you fail to understand the situation and apply your rage correctly.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    JSTOR doesn't continue the governments knowledge. It contained the knowledge of citizens that gave JSTOR the rights to their works. Again you fail to understand the situation and apply your rage correctly.
    I was responding to that other guy, not the article.

The government keeping secrets from the people should be a pretty obvious bad thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Considering the history of the US court rulings regarding internet 'crimes', I wouldn't be surprised if he got that sentence especially when a child gets a $1 million fine for downloading music.
    He was offered 6 months in jail but turned it down. His crimes were not simply "file sharing" but wire fraud. He actually went through a lot of work to deceive and hack into JSTOR. His indictment is public record and details the methods and lengths he went to in order to hide his crime.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 01:30 AM ----------

The government keeping secrets from the people should be a pretty obvious bad thing.
    Not everyone deserves to know everything. Why is it bad that the government keeps their nuclear launch codes a secret? Why does Anonymous hide who they are if secrets are bad? Would you be willing to provide your name, date of birth, SSN, and address to us? Its all info the government has unless you are an illegal in which case you are keeping secrets from the government.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-01-27 at 07:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was responding to that other guy, not the article.

"A 'person' is smart. 'People' are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it"

If it's pertinent to the ability of an individual to carry out their position (corruption, graft, etc,) then yes, we should know it.

But you don't want Nuclear Codes or the names of secret or undercover agents out on the public record. Yet those are both "secrets" the government keeps.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-27 at 06:34 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Ugh. Stupid Anonymous. What kind of idiots are they? Honestly. It's things like this that make 4Chan such a hellhole of the internet. People like this who view themselves as so above everyone else they can do whatever they want and threaten whoever they want. Jeez.

They're making the internet look like a horrible place because they hold their own views above everyone elses. Just because they *think* they're doing good. Bah!

Also, JSTOR is a Social and Scientific Journal database. How is it even relevant aside from the "martyr's" work? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Darkhallows; 2013-01-27 at 06:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides if Anonymous actually believed in "free" information and no secrets then why do they hide behind their name? You can't have freedom of the internet as long as bullies hide behind it to enforce their will and their ideals upon those that disagree. You can't have true freedom as long as one group acts as the shadow puppeteer (amusingly enough the call they say the FBI is controlled by shadow governments). And Anonymous has appointed themselves as that role.

Besides if they truly cared why did they wait until he died? And not when he was caught? Anonymous is using his death for their own goals, never doubt their true intentions have anything to do with anything other then their whims.

10+ Year Old Account

so invasion plans should become public knowledge so the enemy can set up a defense thus defeating the point of setting up a military plan?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    So what is it that's being "quietly distributed to numerous mirrors". Cause their sentence structure implies it's the warhead. And I'm not entirely sure how a single warhead, that's supposedly primed and armed, can be distributed to multiple places.

Either way, they DID say they have a warhead primed. I mean, that's gotta count for something.
    Trident II's can carry up to 8 warheads that can hit independent targets across the globe. But that's not what they were talking about. You are going to take the words "Quietly distributed to numerous mirrors" as it implying that they're talking about actual warheads because of the word "warhead" and the images of a missile. That's not what they are talking about obviously. Metaphor.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    Ugh. Stupid Anonymous. What kind of idiots are they? Honestly. It's things like this that make 4Chan such a hellhole of the internet. People like this who view themselves as so above everyone else they can do whatever they want and threaten whoever they want. Jeez.

They're making the internet look like a horrible place because they hold their own views above everyone elses. Just because they *think* they're doing good. Bah!

Also, JSTOR is a Social and Scientific Journal database. How is it even relevant aside from the "martyr's" work? Am I missing something?
    Uh, with all of the fucked up things on the internet, I doubt Anonymous is hurting the good nature of the totally harmless interwebz.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Trident II's can carry up to 8 warheads that can hit independent targets across the globe. But that's not what they were talking about. You are going to take the words "Quietly distributed to numerous mirrors" as it implying that they're talking about actual warheads because of the word "warhead" and the images of a missile. That's not what they are talking about obviously. Metaphor.
    Intelligence is scarce these days sadly.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

well im glad you are not a position of authority, cause that is crazy talk.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    He was offered 6 months in jail but turned it down. His crimes were not simply "file sharing" but wire fraud. He actually went through a lot of work to deceive and hack into JSTOR. His indictment is public record and details the methods and lengths he went to in order to hide his crime.[COLOR="red"]
    basically he wasn't man enough to do his time. guess its easy to sit behind a computer screen and talk big but when push comes to shove they commit suicide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can someone explain to an old fart like me just what the heck "Anonymous" is? A hacker group obviously, but is it run by one guy and a band of misfits or is it multiple people working together?

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the youtube video description, the guys behind this are wanting us to download "warhead" files and use command prompt for a certain command, sounds to me like they're going to be using alot of user's connections unwillingly through that process.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Based on the youtube video description, the guys behind this are wanting us to download "warhead" files and use command prompt for a certain command, sounds to me like they're going to be using alot of user's connections unwillingly through that process.
    /le facepalm

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 07:23 AM ----------

well im glad you are not a position of authority, cause that is crazy talk.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 11:14 PM ----------

basically he wasn't man enough to do his time. guess its easy to sit behind a computer screen and talk big but when push comes to shove they commit suicide.
    Alot of people talk big sitting behind their computer screen. Even those accusing others of it.