Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Can someone explain to an old fart like me just what the heck "Anonymous" is? A hacker group obviously, but is it run by one guy and a band of misfits or is it multiple people working together?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29 is likely the best answer you'll get.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    /le facepalm
    Care to explain rather than just adding in something pointless? I may be wrong entirely but to me it sounds like that, they did something similar once before by using people's connections as "zombies" to DDoS sites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Care to explain rather than just adding in something pointless? I may be wrong entirely but to me it sounds like that, they did something similar once before by using people's connections as "zombies" to DDoS sites.
    and thats about the best they are able to do. use botnets to ddos sites.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29 is likely the best answer you'll get.
    So Anonymous is basically this massive group of people with eyes all over the Internet? Kind of makes me think for a moment. Say hypothetically I were to piss off a member of Anonymous, they'd make my computer dance?

Scary stuff.

What ever happened to their plans to go after that mexican drug cartel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    pretty sure the drug cartel put a quick stop to that. didnt they kill one of the anoyomous hackers or something like that?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Considering the US government is the one who arms the damn Cartel, I would imagine that this is a part of that.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 07:07 AM ----------

Uh, with all of the fucked up things on the internet, I doubt Anonymous is hurting the good nature of the totally harmless interwebz.
    Not what I meant. The internet is obviously a scary place, but a bunch of morons with a god complex trying to become cyberterrorists doesn't make it seem any better. I don't even care if one side or another is at fault. They continually prove they don't know any better.

Why people still give them creditably is beyond me. I'm sorry but using a botnet to DDoS a website or "hack" into a website that 99% of the US doesn't even know about let alone care about isn't newsworthy.

Like others have said if they want this to be some type of civil rights movement they need to have a face attached to it. And a Guy Fawkes mask isn't that. In fact I'm sure if you were to show that mask to 100 people 90+ would say V for Vendetta. Step out from behind the keyboard and get together and march and hold protests. Majority of the people, myself included, think it's childish to DDoS a website or change the main page of it.

The people that I have come across that support them are usually what I would call children, even if they are grown up. They think that these guys are super heroes when in reality they do what any person sitting behind a computer can do. It isn't hard to DDoS, I mean look how many streamers used to get DDoS attacks. Was it some "super hacker" group or one jealous kid....you pick.

As for their cause it's pointless. If you don't like a law you don't break it to try to change it. It makes you no better than the people you're trying to "stick up" for. If you feel a law should be changed go about it the right way. Stop idolizing these people like they are some super gods at computers. ANYBODY can DDoS a website. ANYBODY can "hack" an e-mail account. It isn't complex and I'm sure most of us have "hacked" a few back in our day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    So Anonymous is basically this massive group of people with eyes all over the Internet? Kind of makes me think for a moment. Say hypothetically I were to piss off a member of Anonymous, they'd make my computer dance?

Scary stuff.
    Not really. If they had an iota of intelligence, they wouldn't waste time arbitrarily hacking people's computers. That doesn't "do" anything.

In all honesty, I foresee anonymous going the way of Occupy Wallstreet if they continue to act the way they do now. It's a band of people (in this case a much smaller band) that want to enact social change, but lack a unified voice, movement, and leader. One thing they also lack that Occupy Wallstreet had however, is that Anonymous doesn't have a "force." No real action, no marching in the streets... in essence, nothing "real." They flare up every once and a while, and then settle back down. Eventually, they'll just cease to flare up anymore, whether it be because government has been secretly trailing them this entire time, or simply because the members get discouraged because they aren't actually changing anything.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

/le facepalm

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 07:23 AM ----------

Alot of people talk big sitting behind their computer screen. Even those accusing others of it.
    even more people talk big sitting behind their computers screen accusing the accuser of talking big

10+ Year Old Account
    ]Alot of people talk big sitting behind their computer screen. Even those accusing others of it.
    The important distinction in this situation is that the latter group of people aren't also attempting to crusade for world change while limiting said involvement to sitting behind their computer screen without doing much else and hoping things will happen because of it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.