Issues with wowhead? Google Chrome

EDIT2: Started happening again... I don't know what to make of it.

EDIT: So I completely closed out google chrome, shut down all related processes and upon reopening it tried CTRL+F5 again (reload page ignore cache data) and it worked. This is the second time I did this, and it happened to work. I have a feeling its a server side problem, so if you see this happening, just wait and do a hard reload of the site...

Hey guys,

So I found some older threads describing the same problem but apparently everyone uses firefox so it helps me none being a chrome user.

So when I try to access wowhead it looks like this. And I've tried clearing history/cache/cookies. The only extension I am running is RBS (to my knowledge at least) and I can't find how to disable plugins, but I haven't made any changes to my system recently, and this just started tonight. This happens in chrome and firefox currently.

Any suggestions are welcome. From what I can gather, its an issue with how wowhead communicates to the googleapi page, something that extensions like adblocker prevent, which is why they are first suspected, but I don't have anything like that...

The next guess is that something called the network.http.sendRefererHeader is set to the wrong param not allowing the browser to resolve the address as typed. I see you can go to about:config to fix this in firefox but can't find anything on the topic for chrome.. In firefox, this is set to 2 which sends the Referer header for all sites.

I appreciate any help and really hope I can resolve this!
    Last edited by Bukowskaii; 2013-01-26 at 09:08 AM. Reason: [SOLVED]

Deleted
    The same thing is happening on my end with Firefox and Internet Explorer. For me it has been like this for all day.

Deleted
    Change the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's) and do an ipconfig /flushdns.
    Last edited by mmoc3084e27e77; 2013-01-26 at 11:25 PM.

Seems no one has an awnser in all the threads I see, if you figure out how you can fix can you put step by step instructions of what you did? /simpleton

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had this problem at all. Only thing I can think of is make sure you have Java, ActiveX, etc. installed properly and running?

Deleted
    Hey guys, i also have the same problem.
    Tried to disable AdBlock and cleared the cache of my Chrome Browser.
    Same Problem with Firefox.
    I'll keep looking for a solution , any help appreciated.

edit: changing my DNS server in my router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 worked for me. (thank you nitrobg)
    Last edited by mmoc71761b51d5; 2013-01-27 at 07:28 AM. Reason: solved for me

It started working again last night without me doing anything but now its not working again, i dont know what to make of it

As I remember a ctrl-F5 always fixed this for me and everyone I told. It will fix itself overtime but any form of forced refresh should work.

I still can't get full access, can't change my DNS cause my VPN gets fucked up.

Deleted
    Had this a while back as well. Safari, Chrome, Firefox (all browsers basically) on Mac. The only thing that fixed it was using a VPN.

Ever since I moved it has worked perfectly. So seems to be network related, not a browser or other software issue.

Yeah, definately network related. Trying it on my phone, when I use my Wifi I can't get full access, but if I use 3G instead the site works fine. Still doesn't help me though >.<

Ive had before where the site could be lagging abit, but never it was perment.

Right now it works fine for me using Google Chrome, so should be network-problems?
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    This feels more like a computer thing so I moved it to the Computer section instead of leaving it in Gen OT.

Deleted
    Found this old thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...correctly-help

Hope that helps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    As I remember a ctrl-F5 always fixed this for me and everyone I told. It will fix itself overtime but any form of forced refresh should work.
    I had the same issue, this worked like a charm. Cheers!

Tried pretty much everything I can do get Wowhead to display properly, but nothing seems to be helping. Tried changing DNS (internet goes down because my VPN needs a set DNS), tried checking my referer settings (nothing wrong there), cleared my cache about a million times and fresh installs of both Chrome and Firefox. Nothing works.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointseven View Post
    Tried pretty much everything I can do get Wowhead to display properly, but nothing seems to be helping. Tried changing DNS (internet goes down because my VPN needs a set DNS), tried checking my referer settings (nothing wrong there), cleared my cache about a million times and fresh installs of both Chrome and Firefox. Nothing works.
    This! I have the exact same problem, been going on for 4 days now. I hope it will be fixed cause ive never had problems with wowhead before, and ive been using it for years.

Sorry if it's been said already but are you using a beta version of Chrome? many don't even know they are using beta version of Chrome, that's why I ask. Beta version of Chrome tend to that kind of thing, make sure you use the "release" version, these are non-beta versions and tend to be bug free.

Edit: I just read the thread, it's probably not the solution but might worth checking.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Yay! My wowhead just started working again completely by itself. I hope it works now for the rest of you guys. I also tried deleting all history, also i knew i had the right version of browsers. Heck, i even tried IE browser. Different computers too, but i think this is a regional thing or something if i went 10 miles away from my location it would work. Very weird issue in general if you ask me.

EDIT: Sorry, about that it still seems unstable, not working properly but it seems atleast better for me now..
    Last edited by Hexxist; 2013-01-30 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    (Duplicating this from another thread just in case anyone's still following this one.)

Perculia posted this thread in the WoWhead feedback forum offering a potential workaround:

Quote Originally Posted by perculia
    Users from several countries recently have reported that Wowhead is not fully displaying. I've spoken with the devs and they've provided both a temporary solution for affected users. They also have a simple process in which users can provide them with some additional specifics which will greatly help them out.

Temporary solution: This will allow you to browse Wowhead normally.
    1. Open up Notepad as an Administrator
    2. Open %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    3. Add and save the following lines to the host file:
    50.22.23.4 wowjs.zamimg.com
    50.22.23.4 wowcss.zamimg.com
    This will work temporarily--but the information will be changing in two months as we migrate servers, so please remove those lines before then.

If you'd like to provide us with more details on the IP address of the Akamai edge server, and use Vista or Win 7, please do the following:
    1. Go to Start menu and enter in "cmd" in the 'Search programs and files' input box.
    2. Run 'nslookup wowjs.zamimg.com' and 'nslookup wowcss.zaming.com'
    3. Please report what the text is after "Name:"

I haven't had any issues with the site, but saw that post and thought I'd pass it on.