Internet dying daily

I been having this issue for week now, and tried fixing it to no avail, I'll start with the issue:

Daily, my internet will cut out. It will lag spike (hard), then die, and then come back like it was nothing, and be unstable. It does this most often between the times of 10:20 PM (est) and 1 AM (est). I had it occur early at 6:30 PM today, which was the earliest it did this. This issue has been on going for well over a month now.

I called my internet provider (AT&T), and they had a tech check our the modem, and found nothing (as usual). I had replaced my router, and ethernet cords but nothing changed. When the signal goes, my house phone dies too (part of the bundle we went with).

Sometimes the internet will only die in my room, and not in the whole house, if others are on.

I broke down and placed an order in with Charter for their internet, and they'll show up Tuesday to install, I was curious if anyone has ideas on how to fix this?

Things I did:
    *Call my provider
    *Have a tech check Modem
    *Replace Router
    *Replace Cords

The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its your ISP! Them lying bastards never​ admit that they are at fault.

Tbh, my household has had the same problem before, and we never found out why..until we finally told our internet provider company we were going to stop paying until our internet was working correctly..day after everything was back to normal and it didnt drop anymore...
    inb4 "It's A Conspiracy!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This just recently happened to me, and it took 4 techs to figure out the problem. We had some bad weather come through and it messed with an electric box down the street, something about a device that adjusts signals depending on the temperature being busted or something. The guy fixed that and the problems went away, next time you call them try to suggest that. And don't let them charge you for anything, because it's not your fault whatsoever if this is the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    www.dslreports.com

If there is a forum operated by AT&T techs use that and see if you can solve your issues. I deal with customer service with my ISP through the direct forums and get better results than calling in. Anyways, you did what you can. If AT&T can't fix it, move on to another ISP. Doesn't make sense to pay for something that fails to work.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is more likely, is that Cogent, one of the backbone providers for the internet, has been having some major issues over the past few weeks and have not resolved the issues. You can check this out by doing a tracert from your computer to a random IP address and see where the lag spikes start happening.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

you should try to check if it is a local problem (like router or wlan malfunction). best is doing a permanent ping to your router and to a ressource on the internet. if your router has a built in modem you can check the log and probably some data from the connection.
    if you really want some help, please send me your skype nickname, i can probably help you.

15+ Year Old Account
    How are your devices connected to your router, if they're all wi-fi, try cabling one into and seeing if that resolves it. Theres a lot of things that can interfere with a wi-fi signal, including wireless phones (the landline type).

Oh! I thought this was going to be a philosophical thread about how the internet is becoming a cesspool of thoughtless thoughts, debauchery and unfunny/intelligent memes /emoflick
    Perhaps this would be better suited to the computer forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Oh! I thought this was going to be a philosophical thread about how the internet is becoming a cesspool of thoughtless thoughts, debauchery and unfunny/intelligent memes /emoflick
    Perhaps this would be better suited to the computer forum?
    Lol I was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    I been having this issue for week now, and tried fixing it to no avail, I'll start with the issue:

Daily, my internet will cut out. It will lag spike (hard), then die, and then come back like it was nothing, and be unstable. It does this most often between the times of 10:20 PM (est) and 1 AM (est). I had it occur early at 6:30 PM today, which was the earliest it did this. This issue has been on going for well over a month now.

I called my internet provider (AT&T), and they had a tech check our the modem, and found nothing (as usual). I had replaced my router, and ethernet cords but nothing changed. When the signal goes, my house phone dies too (part of the bundle we went with).

Sometimes the internet will only die in my room, and not in the whole house, if others are on.

I broke down and placed an order in with Charter for their internet, and they'll show up Tuesday to install, I was curious if anyone has ideas on how to fix this?

Things I did:
    *Call my provider
    *Have a tech check Modem
    *Replace Router
    *Replace Cords
    It's one of 3 things:

1. Bad ISP service/rep/modem
    2. Failing hardware (router, network card, ect).
    3. Faulty coaxial cable running throughout your house (this one sounds most plausible, assuming you are running on good hardware and your ISP's reps are competent).

There's also the possibility that you have an unsecured network and someone is pilfering your Wifi for downloads or whatnot. That can cause bandwidth problems up to and including unstable/lost connection.

thanks for the advice guys. I have Comcast coming to install their internet Tuesday, so I'll see if this lights a fire under AT&T's ass.

In the mean time I'll be trying some of the ideas you guys posted.

I forgot to mention: the internet will consistently die if I'm playing games (Minecraft [online], Black Ops 2, WoW, Team Fortress 2), but if I just browse youtube it works relatively fine.

10+ Year Old Account

Things I did:
    *Call my provider
    *Have a tech check Modem
    *Replace Router
    *Replace Cords
    I've been having the same issue (AT&T). It wasn't this way at all a year ago, but I've been having intermittent issues for the last six months, and it has been getting worse. I called AT&T, but like all tech support, they just told me to power cycle my modem, even if I'd already told them I'd done that. I've also flushed my DNS.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account

Things I did:
    *Call my provider
    *Have a tech check Modem
    *Replace Router
    *Replace Cords
    If it is only your room that loose signal from time to time it is not only about your router.
    It is clearly a modem / ISP issue with losing connection, but I would take a look at your PC as well, maybe you got a faulty wireless network chip or a glitchy LAN socket.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

In addition to what's been mentioned above, when you are experiencing an issue localized to just your computer or your room it may be your computer or the next connection along the network between you and the router (outlets in your wall if you have the network built into the home, or a hub in your room that splits the connection).
    Mine tends to have issues after I've gone a week without rebooting, or have been doing a lot of streaming/downloading. I find it can help to clear out the DNS cache (run command prompt as administrator and type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes and hit enter) and disable and re-enable my network adaptor connection. If that doesn't work a computer reboot can help. If that Still doesn't work the fault is usually at the router and a reboot of the router resolves my issue.

Since your issue is occurring in the evening at about the time most of the TV shows are available online after they aired, I'd agree with the suggestion above that someone may be using your connection for downloading. Double check that your wifi is secured. If you have other family members or a room mate you should ask them if they are downloading or streaming media or other files. 1 person in the household can monopolize the capacity by downloading a file at maximum bandwidth. If you confirm someone in the home is doing that, suggest they use file manager programs that let a user adjust the amount of bandwidth used so they can set it to use only half of the potential capacity, or that they stream at a lower video quality setting.

Other possibilities:
    If you are on cable (not DSL) your local node might be getting overwhelmed in the evenings causing everyone to have instability (too many heavy users in the area can cause that).
    Your ISP might be throttling in the evenings. Most ISPs will not admit they are throttling you or any particular user specifically, but you should be able to ask if they throttle in general, and when that occurs on their network.

After AT&T failed to solve my problems, Charter came and installed their internet. I was happy, until of course Charter's internet died about an hour ago, and is still out.

It's pretty bad that a service flat out dies 1 day into contract. Thankfully I can back out of the contract within 3 days if I find their service awful enough.

AT&T has the worst tech support and unless you are screaming and cancelling service they won't do a dman thing. When they do it does little....

Been down that road. Went back to comcast and refuse to go back whenever the wife even mentions it.

It has to do with the cold most likely. Also their lines blow massive amounts of air through them dry but they break often and water seeps in corroding the wire resulting in near impossible treasure hunts to find the problem. Oh and household techs are near useless.