Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

[TV] - Spartacus : War of the damned.

************************ BEYOND THIS POINT THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS. READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK!*****************
    ************************ BEYOND THIS POINT THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS. READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK!*****************

So!

What did we all think of the first episode of season 3?

I was phenomenally impressed as I always have been with it, It's style just.. works for me.

NOTE: PLEASE do not turn this thread into an Andy whitfield vs Liam McIntyre debate, they are both great.

I cannot wait to see what the rest of the season has in store

Last edited by Raldazzar; 2013-02-02 at 10:59 PM.

i love spartacus. i happened to read the story of spartacus and at the rate the show is going, i only see 1 more season for it after this current one which makes me sad from watching the 1st episode, i actually admire crassus for his values and morals lol(in actuality i believe he was a short chubby guy who only cared about money lol.. havent read up on the story in a while)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've struggled to like it since the original passed away, I just don't like the new actor who replaced him.

Best episode of the series so far, it was really that good. Crassus is already a more likeable and interesting "villain" than Glaber ever was

Hell of a good start to the season, I've really missed this show.

And Kaamila, they've already said that this will be the final season, which blows, but we all knew it couldn't go on forever.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really good episode!
    The only problem I have with it is the amount of blood they are using. They are just over doing it in some scenes.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Really good episode!
    The only problem I have with it is the amount of blood they are using. They are just over doing it in some scenes.
    Way back in Season 1 in an interview with Andy he said that they wanted the blood to be a little bit cartoonish to keep it from being a complete gorefest.

But I loved it. And I think Liam is making an incredible Sparty. I'm just wondering how they're going to be able to end it without it being a totally downer. We all know historically how this happens, but Steven Deknight said that we will all be very surprised when we see how it ends.

I liked it. Was a good episode. I love Gannicus and I like how much screen time he's been getting.
    Liam McIntyre is building into a great Spartacus, but I still prefer Andy Whitfield. Not trying to get into a debate, it's just that Andy started off as a great Spartacus, and Liam is turning into one.

Needs more Kirk Douglas.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    I liked it. Was a good episode. I love Gannicus and I like how much screen time he's been getting.
    Liam McIntyre is building into a great Spartacus, but I still prefer Andy Whitfield. Not trying to get into a debate, it's just that Andy started off as a great Spartacus, and Liam is turning into one.
    I agree fully, Andy was fantastic, but its not like he was fired ya know? xD Andy personally vouched and vetted for Liam to replace him. all we can do is be grateful its still on!

I have to agree crassus seems heads and shoulders above the rest of the villains they have faced. (well, dunno if battiatus counts!) but glaber was.. shit. so looking forward to see this season.

Spartacus has stepped it up a level too in terms of ferocity as shown by his actions at the end of the first episode

That was an excellent episode. Can't wait for more.

Deleted
    Just like the first episode of the first season, I disliked more then half of the episode. And I have never "liked" Spartacus the character but right now I really dislike him and depending on how he tackles the whole take a city thing, I can prbly start hating him.

So Mear, did last night convince you of anything?

I thought last night was fantastic. the way it was executed was brilliant. especially in regards to Spartacus' character development

Gannicus is awesome too.

Overall I'm thrilled so far, cannot wait for next week! pirates!

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome episode. Gannicus and Sparty kickin ass again.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Needs more Kirk Douglas.
    That's the last thing it needs.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Mear View Post
    Just like the first episode of the first season, I disliked more then half of the episode. And I have never "liked" Spartacus the character but right now I really dislike him and depending on how he tackles the whole take a city thing, I can prbly start hating him.
    I'm pretty sure they're trying to portray him as the antagonist for season 3. the distant rebel leader that just appears in action scenes while you see the noble roman with his wits and honor trying to gather up an army to stop the rebels that don't really do anything sustainable and are only portrayed as brutes.

Yeah, makes sense, I aint really going to take a side here personally, i'm just here for the show.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Question, what in the fuck was going on with Caeser and that slave. Aside from the obvious, what was with the knife and the blood? Tiberius came in with a great one liner. "Years abroad have lead you to strange pleasures" XD
    Last edited by Seezer; 2013-02-05 at 01:03 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Great show..

There's one thing I don't like about it though, It's a tragedy and everyone dies in the end if they want to be historically accurate. Not only that but Crixus and Gannicus have to survive because they die in the end. I really hope they get a happily ever after though but Sparty already lost hes second wife/gf.. so he has probably given up anyway and only wants revenge and doesn't care if he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Question, what in the fuck was going on with Caeser and that slave. Aside from the obvious, what was with the knife and the blood? Tiberius came in with a great one liner. "Years abroad lead you to strange pleasures" XD
    I was curious about that too, I can't find any references to it online or anything, any history buffs want to share any knowledge? I really like the way they are portraying caeser. and crassus for that matter, very cerebral

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Great show..

There's one thing I don't like about it though, It's a tragedy and everyone dies in the end if they want to be historically accurate. Not only that but Crixus and Gannicus have to survive because they die in the end. I really hope they get a happily ever after though but Sparty already lost hes second wife/gf.. so he has probably given up anyway and only wants revenge and doesn't care if he dies.
    There was actually an interesting interview with Steven De Knight (show director) who said whilst they want to remain historically accurate their goal is to make an entertaining tv show. and we the audience would be very happy and surprised at the outcomes of this season. (its on the STARZ youtube channel somewhere)

One thing I'm curious about, is how Gannicus has stepped up to be sparty's right hand. Crixus and Agron are fantastic characters and saw him through Vengeance well. why do they seem to almost have a 'back seat' I mean, in Vengeance.. if there was anything needing 2 people.. it would be sparty and Crixus..

did anyone notice the character Ludo in this last episode? he had a warhammer that would rival any hammer in WoW it was the size of a damn breeze block!

I think Spartacus is alot deeper then we think, there is so much going on in his head at all times. dealing with the murder of innocents.. romans. but still innocents. dealing with his own losses. feeding 70,000.. he has alot on his shoulders and I dont think it will stay that way. I'm fairly certain we will see some drastic changes to his character as it progresses along this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I was curious about that too, I can't find any references to it online or anything, any history buffs want to share any knowledge? I really like the way they are portraying caeser. and crassus for that matter, very cerebral.
    Potential spoiler

All I know is that in the TV series Rome (HBO/BBC) they have a scene where Octavian walks in on Caesar having some sort of seizure (which they call "an affliction" so he obviously has them often), something he wants to keep secret as it would be viewed as "a lunacy" and he would fall from power. I don't know if the blood letting is some sort of 'old school pseudo-medical' thing but that's my take on the blood letting. Either that or he has picked up some really gross STD and wants rid of it.

And yes, I do get my history from TV shows
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2013-02-04 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Expansion

the history of spartacus in this show is loosely followed. so dont take everything that happens in the show as what really happened in history. i think the weird blood thing from caesar was just something thought up to show that caesar is a warrior and is more at home on the battlefield than in civilian life. history shows that caesar was constantly on the frontlines in battle and was rarely in Rome to actually rule.