Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What an episode and roller coaster ride. The perfect tribute to season 1, Andy and the arena fights along with the actual fallen in the story. It was awesome to see Liam put on Spartacus' Arena gear for the first time. It really brought me back to thinking about Andy and how fucking perfect he was at being Spartacus. To see Liam do that awesome tribute in the same gear brought a tear to my eye. He really embraced the part this season and made it his own and buffed up quite a bit as well.

The chanting scene at the end was so beautiful as well. I wanted to start yelling out names.

---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 03:52 PM ----------

Spartacus will die with his troops. Anyone really think if the battle was going South he would either abandon his men or be spared? This is a battlefield with like 100,000 men fighting, with every single Roman trying to kill him. He is not getting out of there alive, I don't think any of the main characters are. Leata and Sybil being pregnant and them surviving with a small band of slaves for example I think is more likely. Even that though might be too happy.

The story of Spartacus is a tragedy after all. They are not going to end it on a supper happy note. They being said, it it wasn't for people like Spartacus in history I would not be free to type this post on this forum and live my life how I want too. He may lose the battle, but he wins the war in the sense that his ideals survive.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-04-06 at 07:52 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    The story of Spartacus is a tragedy after all. They are not going to end it on a supper happy note. They being said, it it wasn't for people like Spartacus in history I would not be free to type this post on this forum and live my life how I want too. He may lose the battle, but he wins the war in the sense that his ideals survive.
    According to Wikipedia, at least, in reality Spartacus wasn't really interested in removing slavery at all. Apparently, he and Crixus committed atrocities (doesn't say which) quite frequently. It's not that it isn't possible that Spartacus was interested in removing slavery, it's just that there's no direct evidence to make that assumption.

Also, just FYI, (an interesting factoid), when Spartacus defeated Lentulus and Gellius, who were consuls (most important political institution, two new consuls were chosen every year) at the time, Crassus took over command of their legions, and of their men he killed up to 4000 of them through decimation (a bit more than the 5 in the show xD), to both punish the legions of the two consuls for failure and to strike fear into the other 40 000 - 50 000 under his command so that they don't fail too.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Tiberius never existed (that we know of). Historically Marcus Crassus has two sons, both of which are mentored under Caesar on his campaign in Gaul. One dies with Crassus when he goes on his last war campaign, and AFAIK the other dies of old age after being a Roman senator.
    But then who raped Caesar?!

Why the hell would they add something like that when it's not even historically accurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Last episode was awesome. Also.. that double sword into skull and through eyes scene.... Let's just say I sat with doritos spilled upon precious keyboard
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    According to Wikipedia, at least, in reality Spartacus wasn't really interested in removing slavery at all. Apparently, he and Crixus committed atrocities (doesn't say which) quite frequently. It's not that it isn't possible that Spartacus was interested in removing slavery, it's just that there's no direct evidence to make that assumption.
    Well you have to take the historical accounts(as with all historical accounts) of Spartacus with a grain of salt. More specifically the wikipedia article is based off Appian and Plutarch. Both historians had absulutly no involvement and were far away from everything that happened in this war. They were outsiders looking in, this is why there accounts differ so much. They may have very well been able to talk to various Roman higher ups due to their position but they would not have talked to any rebels. Any account they have of that war are most likely based off what they were told by Roman politicians and commanders and the rest they filled in themselves through their own interpretations. We all know that people like to alter descriptions of events to suit there own needs. Historians and Romans both. No Roman commander is going to come back from a losing battle and embarrass himself further by explaining exactly how he lost for example.

That being said you could very well be right in that he was just a gladiator looking to kill Romans in vengeance. He could very well have been just as ruthless as the Romans he fought, even more so. Your right in that we have no way of truly knowing. That doesn't change the fact that he chose to free these people from enslavement after he escaped it himself. Regardless of his motives, there is always that to ponder. Also, why would such a brilliant tactician defy all logic and start an un-winnable war unless he had something deeper driving him? He could of just left Rome and lived out the rest of his days in relative peace killing Romans in foreign lands.

I try to put myself in the rebels shoes when I try to think of there motives. An argument against Spartacus being a freedom fighter is that he clearly had opportunities to free slaves and passed them up. I would argue this saying he was a brilliant tactician first and foremost(he has to watch over who he already has after all like it shows in the show) and knew that if his numbers were too great that could not be mobile which is what really hurt the Romans early on. Not to mention he had no way to feed and clothe them all with no reliable supply line. I think Deknight has done a superb job of showing certain events from a rebel perspective. For example, how historians mention how Spartacus tried to escape across the sea by dealing with pirates. When in the show Deknight shows that is what Spartacus wanted Crassus and others to think.

I've read a lot of information on the subject and I honestly think Deknight pretty much nailed it in regards to the man. He's probably much more moral in the show then he actually was, but I do believe he was a man who initially lived for vengeance. Who eventually came to realize that was he was doing was greater then that and embraced it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I really enjoy discussing the man though.

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 04:40 AM ----------

Here's to make up for the wall of text.

WARNING EPISODE 10 PREVIEW: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-04-07 at 08:38 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    But then who raped Caesar?!

Why the hell would they add something like that when it's not even historically accurate?
    Even if it would have happened something like this would never ever have been recorded.

And why they added it? Well, maybe just for the shock factor? To make people rage about it? So many good reasons for producers to add something like that. In the end the series is just entertainment with some historical facts and no documentary which claims to give an absolute correct reenactment of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Even if it would have happened something like this would never ever have been recorded.
    "Dear Diary,

Today I went to confront that little douche Tiberus. His guards attacked me and he had his way with my butt. That is all for today, it hurts to site and write this.

Caesar"

He is Caesar, he isn't going to go around telling everyone what happened. His pride is on the line. As for it not being historically accurate, I hope not, seeing how Tiberius wasn't REAL.

Time to watch the first season over a 3rd time while i wait for the Finale. Cant wait!

With the last episode coming up this week I've been watching the first season again as well. This is probably my favorite scene in the whole show and shows just how good Andy was. I think it's a fitting tribute.

Those stares he gives Glabber are so intense.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-04-07 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be sad when this show ends. It is currently my most anticipated watch of the week.

My only gripe, and really nitpicking here, is how cheesy the stoppage of Navia's fight was. Soooooo Hollywood.

I need to look into this history. I would like to see how accurate everything was. It sounds like it is pretty close.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I will be sad when this show ends. It is currently my most anticipated watch of the week.

My only gripe, and really nitpicking here, is how cheesy the stoppage of Navia's fight was. Soooooo Hollywood.

I need to look into this history. I would like to see how accurate everything was. It sounds like it is pretty close.
    This show is very heavy though and sometimes hard to watch as the only certainty is that the rebels lose in the end and in every episode they might kill of an important character. Crixus was favorite character in the show since the beginning and it's really sad they just killed him off. I was hoping him and Naevie as well as Gannicus would get a happy ending with Spartacus becoming a martyr or inspiration for future generations. Hes death came as a complete surprise, I was almost sure it was some kind of dread sequence or Naevias worst fears or some such that would cause her to try to persuade Crixus to reunite with Sparty.

That would never have happened.

Historically, Crixus broke off from Spartacus and was massacred the night after a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Potential spoiler

All I know is that in the TV series Rome (HBO/BBC) they have a scene where Octavian walks in on Caesar having some sort of seizure (which they call "an affliction" so he obviously has them often), something he wants to keep secret as it would be viewed as "a lunacy" and he would fall from power. I don't know if the blood letting is some sort of 'old school pseudo-medical' thing but that's my take on the blood letting. Either that or he has picked up some really gross STD and wants rid of it.

And yes, I do get my history from TV shows
    Caesar was believed to be epileptic, so it is indeed historically accurate.

This is my 1st time writing in. My name is Rich, I am 50 and live near to the town of New Haven, Connecticut USA. I was born on Friday the 13th April 1962. And that in itself is a story. But for now, I wish to discuss the program "Spartacus".
    The reason I have decided to write in is because after watching all 3 seasons of Spartacus (and the prequel) I have decided that the very best episode ever made scoring 10/10 and receiving full marks belongs to the Michael Hurst directed episode titled, "The Dead and the Dying". I fully realize that those are bold words but I am sure I am not alone in these beliefs and feelings. Let me explain. Over these past 4 years, the character Crixus has pissed me off on more than one occasion, and that's for sure. But not since the death of Andy Whitfield have I personally felt such loss as I did after watching the above titled episode. Yet the feeling of being proud when 'everybody' in the stands begins to chant the name "CRIXUS", and I personally have never felt prouder for the man than I did at that moment during his funeral pyre. And even though we all knew this was coming (based on the history books), it still did not help dissuade the feelings of loss when he met his end. And never before has a television program inspired such passion as I hold for the entire cast of "Spartacus". Everything Spartacus said in the episode was perfect. The fighting skills of both Spartacus and Gannicus were perfect. PERFECT! The interactions between the various players (cast) and the death of Tiberius at the hands of Kore (played by Jenna Lind) were perfect. She had balanced scale and although Spartacus' first reaction was to chastise her for killing him, you can instantly tell he is not really mad at her at all. In fact, I think he knew it was an honorable move for her to make. Bold and gutsy. Again, making this the perfect episode of them all. I am sorry to see the series coming to an end. But then, that's why The Gods invented Blu ray players afterall (eh eh). **Peace to all** (except in the arena of course).

15+ Year Old Account
    One of the best finals of a tv show i've ever seen.

No manly tears were shed at all...honest. The fights were epic, Spartacus with the 3 spears through him was also epic. Not sure about the caesar spin off if it actually happens, i kinda hate him now lol

Many not so manly tears were shed by me :l. Epic finale so sad it had to end, but a glorious end to a glorious show.

Can't believe it's over...Beautiful ending though!

Lugos death was pretty epic, can't help but wonder what the outcome would've been if Crixus and his army were there aswell.

Holy hell that was great. Pretty much a perfect finale, one of the best of any series. Really going to miss this show.

Happy to see Agron and Nasir made it at least. Doctore showing up to Gannicus was pretty cool, and the credits were a nice touch, showing all the characters from the earlier seasons (Varro ftw!)....and Andy Whitfield at the very end.

Time to start over from season one for a re-watch
    Last edited by jamlol; 2013-04-13 at 06:02 AM.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    My father raves about this show. He said it just ended. I guess I should watch and catch up. Apparently the last season was pretty bloody. I'm impressed since he usually doesn't like that stuff. Seems getting him hooked on TWD fixed that.

Ugh worst finale ever.

Spartacus dying is fine but gannicus dying wa so sad. Like i know historically this might have been how it went down? but for a finale i would have rather preferred the previous episode and probably sort of a lead down saying how they fell. Just so sad to see them die like that. Also i dont believe in history anyways cause thereres no way to know if history was a lie or not.

Im so sad right now