Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    Ugh worst finale ever.

Spartacus dying is fine but gannicus dying wa so sad. Like i know historically this might have been how it went down? but for a finale i would have rather preferred the previous episode and probably sort of a lead down saying how they fell. Just so sad to see them die like that. Also i dont believe in history anyways cause thereres no way to know if history was a lie or not.

Im so sad right now
    They should have gone Inglorious Basterds on it!

I consider myself one of the most fanatic viewers of the show and I have shared my thoughts about it many times in this thread.

This finalle was of an epic proportion failure and an uttermost dissapointment.

1)Let me get this straight....After 3 seasons and 800.000 kills, at the end we get to see 4 women surviving?
    2)Was it so hard to let Spartacus survive and still follow the real storyline ( don't contradict me on that, explained many times that body was never found) after this glorious duel with Crassus. He gets to survive 3 spears penetrating his body only to die 5 mins later? Really?
    3)Why on earth was never shown how the tide of battle turned in favour of Romans? We just the gladiator army suddenly surounded and slaughtered.
    4)lack of the proper depiction of the crucified slaves. After all I have watched in that show, it woudnt be gross.
    5)Why was not the try to negotiate with Crassus shown?
    6)Why did they devote 1 scene of 1 min for the rivalry between Pompey and Crassus since it played so much important role in the real storyline?
    7)And the most infuriating thing... Is this how the kill the super duper, premier league, super sayan, best star of the movie, coolest guy and erotical beast, my favourite GANNICUS? Punched and crucified? Kitsch scene of him imagining spectators in arena while he is on the cross?

I am so sorry but that episode sucked big time. The best thing about it was Lugo's death, burning in fire and cursing Romans' mothers.
    The best episode so far, at least for the season was the previous one with Crixus funeral matched only by the last one the Gannicus season.

I understand that many will disagree with me, but I will repeat it. FAILURE.

I am so fed up with that american cliches and the politically correct messages.

PS: Every story can have a happy ending if you know when to stop it. For me the story ended in around the first 30 mins of that episode. Spartacus survived heavily injured the battle when Gannicus saved him with his life, Naevia died same way Crixus did and the gays died holding each other's hand. In the final scene Spartacus is on a boat for Sicily with Laeta trying to comfort him about the end of the rebellion and he replies that they did in fact win. Then we get to see scenes of future about how life changed in society and a fucking big dedication to Andy

Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    I consider myself one of the most fanatic viewers of the show and I have shared my thoughts about it many times in this thread.

This finalle was of an epic proportion failure and an uttermost dissapointment.

1)Let me get this straight....After 3 seasons and 800.000 kills, at the end we get to see 4 women surviving?
    2)Was it so hard to let Spartacus survive and still follow the real storyline ( don't contradict me on that, explained many times that body was never found) after this glorious duel with Crassus. He gets to survive 3 spears penetrating his body only to die 5 mins later? Really?
    3)Why on earth was never shown how the tide of battle turned in favour of Romans? We just the gladiator army suddenly surounded and slaughtered.
    4)lack of the proper depiction of the crucified slaves. After all I have watched in that show, it woudnt be gross.
    5)Why was not the try to negotiate with Crassus shown?
    6)Why did they devote 1 scene of 1 min for the rivalry between Pompey and Crassus since it played so much important role in the real storyline?
    7)And the most infuriating thing... Is this how the kill the super duper, premier league, super sayan, best star of the movie, coolest guy and erotical beast, my favourite GANNICUS? Punched and crucified? Kitsch scene of him imagining spectators in arena while he is on the cross?

I am so sorry but that episode sucked big time. The best thing about it was Lugo's death, burning in fire and cursing Romans' mothers.
    The best episode so far, at least for the season was the previous one with Crixus funeral matched only by the last one the Gannicus season.

I understand that many will disagree with me, but I will repeat it. FAILURE.

I am so fed up with that american cliches and the politically correct messages.

PS: Every story can have a happy ending if you know when to stop it. For me the story ended in around the first 30 mins of that episode. Spartacus survived heavily injured the battle when Gannicus saved him with his life, Naevia died same way Crixus did and the gays died holding each other's hand. In the final scene Spartacus is on a boat for Sicily with Laeta trying to comfort him about the end of the rebellion and he replies that they did in fact win. Then we get to see scenes of future about how life changed in society and a fucking big dedication to Andy
    I think your expectations of the last episode are a complete failure tbh.

1) There were more than just 'those 4 women'. Spartacus commanded them all to split into other groups. NOt all the groups were caught, just the bigger ones. Closer inspection of that last scene would have shown you a lot more people walking the mountain path.
    2) Considering that it is losely an historic depiction, yes it would be. Spartacus is speculated to have died in his last conflict.
    3) You don't need to see how the tide would have turned. A large roman force against a much smaller gladiator and slave force. Remember, most of their fighters had already died when they left with Crixus, meaning the final rebel force was no where near as strong as it should have been.
    4) Saw quite enough crucified slaves. You saw the road, you saw crosses lining both sides. Devoting more screen time than necessary on something conveyed in a short time is senseless.
    5) Piecing together what I think this meant, there was never going to be any negotiation. Crassus letting Spartacus live would have destroyed his political ambition.
    6) The conflict between the two was summed up pretty well by Ceaser getting all riled up about it for the last 3 episodes. They showed how scheming and patient Crassus was in that oen short scene.
    7) Because if you understood what Crassus said by having his soldiers not deliver fatal blows to wounded enemies, then you'd understand that at least one main character would have ended up crucified.

You idea for an ending is cringe worthy also. Better they stick vaguely to what historically happened. That after the battle, Spartacus was never heard from again. Having him die adds dramatic weight. Also your comment of 'the gays'... give me a break.

Anyway, my best bit was the rolling credits that paid homage to every actor and major character in the story. The final scene with Andrew Whitfield was particularly touching.
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2013-04-13 at 04:12 PM.
    RETH

The shock in Crassus eyes when Spartacus grabbed the sword. Right before that, I was like oh nooo---OH YEEESSS. Epic. Ceaser spin off, he meets Agron and Nasir on a foreign battlefield for some epic duels. Also, as Gannicus dies, they should have had doctore cut him down and together they rush into a fight in the arena.
    Last edited by Spartacus43; 2013-04-13 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    I wonder if there will be some form of follow up series around ceasar and crassus, they seem to have left a rather big opening for it
    Indeed - I hope it happens. And I hope he gets stabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    I wonder if there will be some form of follow up series around ceasar and crassus, they seem to have left a rather big opening for it
    It's a possibility that they do that, but I still think that if there's a spinoff it'll be centered around Caesar. Even though he was cast in sort of negative light this episode, he's generally been fairly likable. Crassus' documented children were sent off to war with Caesar in his conquest of Gaul, so I could see an evolving tutorship as a main plot line.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus43 View Post
    The shock in Crassus eyes when Spartacus grabbed the sword. Right before that, I was like oh nooo---OH YEEESSS. Epic. Ceaser spin off, he meets Agron and Nasir on a foreign battlefield for some epic duels.

I totally agree. I seen Crassus grab the sword and it went all slo-mo like back at the start of War of the Damned (Me: NOOO!), Spartacus counters / the look in Crassus's eyes, he knows he is about to lose (Me: Jupiter's C**k, YES! - I assume cursing isn't allowed here lol).

As for Gannicus. A lot of people are upset on here about how he died. But what you have to look at.
    -SOMEONE important needed to be crucified. Can't be Spartacus, Crixus was already dead. Agron crucifed AGAIN wouldn't be that emotional as another. Neevia, maybe, but Gannicus I think made it more of an emotional moment. Afterwards, him picturing himself in the arena, and seeing Oenomaus. Perfect.

- 1v1 no one on the Roman side was going to best him. I am happy Caesar didn't pull a win solo out of his ass after Gannicus beat him 2-3 times in the past rather easy. I seen a interview with Crixus, who said him dying to Justin Bieber...I mean Tiberius symbolized him dying to the youth of Rome (Rome was still young and would be around long after Crixus, if that makes sense). I think with Gannicus, he seemed to be one of the last members of the rebel army standing, Rome circled around him, symbolizing no ONE person, no matter how good they are can stand against the might of Rome.

- Plus Gannicus did die in history. A fair bit sooner then the show had him die, they wanted to keep to what happened while telling the story. One of my fav's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus43 View Post
    The shock in Crassus eyes when Spartacus grabbed the sword. Right before that, I was like oh nooo---OH YEEESSS. Epic. Ceaser spin off, he meets Agron and Nasir on a foreign battlefield for some epic duels.

I totally agree. I seen Crassus grab the sword and it went all slo-mo like back at the start of War of the Damned (Me: NOOO!), Spartacus counters / the look in Crassus's eyes, he knows he is about to lose (Me: Jupiter's C**k, YES! - I assume cursing isn't allowed here lol).

As for Gannicus. A lot of people are upset on here about how he died. But what you have to look at.
    -SOMEONE important needed to be crucified. Can't be Spartacus, Crixus was already dead. Agron crucifed AGAIN wouldn't be that emotional as another. Neevia, maybe, but Gannicus I think made it more of an emotional moment. Afterwards, him picturing himself in the arena, and seeing Oenomaus. Perfect.

- 1v1 no one on the Roman side was going to best him. I am happy Caesar didn't pull a win solo out of his ass after Gannicus beat him 2-3 times in the past rather easy. I seen a interview with Crixus, who said him dying to Justin Bieber...I mean Tiberius symbolized him dying to the youth of Rome (Rome was still young and would be around long after Crixus, if that makes sense). I think with Gannicus, he seemed to be one of the last members of the rebel army standing, Rome circled around him, symbolizing no ONE person, no matter how good they are can stand against the might of Rome.

- Plus Gannicus did die in history. A fair bit sooner then the show had him die, they wanted to keep to what happened while telling the story. One of my fav's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    It's a possibility that they do that, but I still think that if there's a spinoff it'll be centered around Caesar. Even though he was cast in sort of negative light this episode, he's generally been fairly likable. Crassus' documented children were sent off to war with Caesar in his conquest of Gaul, so I could see an evolving tutorship as a main plot line.
    It would be more about powerplays and the likes than actual fighting though. Would be a completely other show.

Deleted
    The creator of the show spoke about whether they should leave Spartacus' death a mystery, and so on...

I think if they left him alive as in never found his body, it would've been much too corny. Much too cliche. It was much more touching that he did die, especially when we do know he did die. Eventually. I mean it's been a couple thousand years now. He's most likely dead.

What I wished was for them to show what Spartacus' life actually accomplished. As it went, it felt like it was mostly for naught. There was no long lasting resolution through the series. We of course know through history how Spartacus affected it but... Still.

As far as Caesar go, if you haven't read Asterix comics, then too bad.

So, from the important cast, survivors are : the ex sex whore young slave, the ex Roman domina and two gays. Its not that happy ending comes through survival and I am fond of the glorious death and tragic ( in its original greek meaning) fate of a hero, hence I dont mind Spartacus and Gannicus dying but not like that ridiculous way .

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the best ending to a series since The Wire. Epic in every sense.

My ONLY gripe is that Gannicus and Cesar did not get a good fight in.

How I will miss this show. I need Boardwalk Empire back asap.
    I like sandwiches

I think the entire episode and the ending was perfect.

I'm sad now that it's over. Like with every show that I have watched.

I did read in an interview that was on the table for Starz. Caesar's rise to glory/fame.

sidenote, to those saying that sparty shouldve lived, you dont understand.. he died on his terms. not under the boot. he died with loved ones all around him. a free man. it was very symbolic. it wasn't a weak ending atall.

they did all our heroes proud..

AND THANK FUCK NAEVIA IS GONE

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it'll probably be centered around him, Crassus, and Pompeii becoming allies. I doubt it'll be the conquest of Gaul since that was when he was older and they'd be using the same actor.

Deleted
    So many manly tears were shed at the end of this last episode.

Mostly I'm just sad that this epic serie has come to an end

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed the finale, as well as the show's entirety. If they do make a Caesar spinoff, I will indeed be watching it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    What they should've done imo...

Spartacus said to leave him rest...
    Other survivors inlc aggron leave him be...
    You see the sky changing n shit...
    a short dialogue between him and his 'lover'....
    She leaves...
    fast flashbacks...
    Meanwhile Crassus giving orders to find the body of spartacus or follow the rest of the survivors...
    Roman scouts arrive at where spartacus lied...
    spartacus body is not to be found...
    they only find the shield...

the end.

Also, gannicus imagining him in a last arena, people cheering at him... he fucking deserved that last bit of joy.
    This, or the others just taking the badly wounded Spartacus with them. Historically they never found hes body so I dont see why not. He really deserved a little peace and happiness after all he went through. And yea, Gannicus' death was even worse than Crixus'. Hell, they could have just let all the main characters live or killed off one for dramatic effect and still be historically accurate. We only know that the rebellion was crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    We only know that the rebellion was crushed.
    We know a lot more than just that. Give historians some credit, especially when their work has been reviewed enough to be deemed accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    This is the best ending to a series since The Wire. Epic in every sense.

My ONLY gripe is that Gannicus and Cesar did not get a good fight in.

How I will miss this show. I need Boardwalk Empire back asap.
    I participated in the live twitter convo earlier today and it was actually said by Todd Delance(Caesar) that most of an EPIC(his words) duel was cut due to time. Hopefully well see the full version in the DVD box Set. Apparently there were a few really good scenes that had to get cut due to time restraints.

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 11:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    So many manly tears were shed at the end of this last episode.

Mostly I'm just sad that this epic serie has come to an end
    I honestly shed no tears this episode(which I did not expect), I think I used them all during The Dead and the Dying. That was a such beautiful tribute episode.

I felt sad, but at the same time happy because maybe I know how everything turns out in the end. Spartacus does win in the end after all, Agron said it best.

Rome crumbles from greed and destroys itself and barbarians finish the job. The majority of the world lives free now and slavery is looked at as a horrible evil by the majority.

---------- Post added 2013-04-14 at 01:09 AM ----------

Really good interview with Steven Deknight about the last episode and possible future spinoffs. He talks about the episode itself and different ideas he originally had for scripts throughout the last season.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-04-14 at 03:50 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Great episode and ending.

The best scene was for me the last of Gannicus though. With Doctore and the arena appearing around him. Would have been a worthy ending too. Everything after was not really necessary. It wasn't bad or anything. I think it would have been great too if they hadn't shown spartacus dying at the end and the last few rebels marching into freedom. It would have been a "darker" ending with more mystery to it.