Deleted

Going to Australia.

Hi,

A mate and I will be travelling to Australia, more specifically Brisbane, with a working holiday visa in the middle of february, and we will be staying until the 1st of may. We plan on finding a cheap hostel as soon as we get there, and then go about exploring the city, thereafter we will start looking for work, basically looking for whatever is available. We also intend to see more of the australian east coast, we would very much like to go to The Great Barrier Reef, Sydney, and perhaps Melbourne but this all depends on how much we will be able to earn from working.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask for some general tips and advice on an international forum, e.g. where to find work, cheap hostels, where to look for cheap tours and so forth.

If you have anything to share about your own experiences it would be very appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mmoc91a8dbad84; 2013-01-26 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never go outside.... or inside....
    Everything will eat you.

Seriously though, I've never been to Australia, so I have no idea.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, me too! In March though. For me, I'll be flying into Brisbane, then up to the Whitsunday Islands, then to Cairns, where I'll scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef, then over to New Zealand, where I'll spend some time in Christchurch, some time in Auckland, and then back to Australia for a day in Sydney before heading back to the states. I, too, would love any advice anyone has to offer!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

menial labor such as waiters and tradesmen (brick layers/ builders / painters etc) earn very highly, and require no prior qualifications, i believe a job waiting tables would suit your purposes just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only place in Australia I've been to, Sydney, is expensive as hell (coming from an American) so my advice to you is to have an idea of your monthly expenses, and make sure you can sustain that before you move over there. Also, try to have job interviews lined up as well so you can hit the ground running. Other than that basic financial advice you probably didn't even need to hear, you guys are gonna have a kickass time. Good luck to the both of you.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Dont look up, the dropbears will get ya! Lol just kidding, you'll have a great time here.. Stuff is kinda expensive so you gotta be prepared. As for hotels/motels there are multiple sites that you can look up and find cheap ones, there are even cheap-as-chips backpacker motels around. Work is again dependant on where you are, you just gotta look around to see who's hiring, there are usually signs out the front of shops.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Supermarkets here are a great place to find quick work. I can almost guarantee you, you'll find a supermarket near where you stay looking to hire casuals. I've never been to Brisbane though so what I say is only true for WA, it might differ in Brisbane.

But anyway, if you get a casual job don't expect to many hours, it's possible but unlikely. However you'll get paid (assuming you're maximum minimum wage age which I believe is 22, possibly 21) at minimum about $22/hour being a casual. If you find part time work you'll likely get more hours but min wage will be $18/hour. More money overall though. As a casual you will have no set hours they have to give you, so it's possible to only get 3hours(minimum hours you can do in one shift) but also possible to do 30. Depending on the hours you want to work you could get a nightfill job which I think starts at 6pm and they go to whenever they need to go to, which can be anywhere from 9pm-midnight. or a regular store hours job working front end or in a department so your hours would be between 8am and 9pm.

I don't have much experience outside of that, you could get a factory worker job, stocking shelves/loading vans etc. I don't have any personal experience doing that though but a friend does it.

I believe the weather in Brisbane isn't as hot as where I am, which is currently to hot, so the weather in Brisbane should just be nice. Have fun, and don't believe anyone that tells you about drop bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I believe the weather in Brisbane isn't as hot as where I am, which is currently to hot, so the weather in Brisbane should just be nice. Have fun, and don't believe anyone that tells you about drop bears.
    Brisbane weather is quite pleasant compared to the other states, they dont get as much humidity as we do strangely.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Supermarkets here are a great place to find quick work. I can almost guarantee you, you'll find a supermarket near where you stay looking to hire casuals. I've never been to Brisbane though so what I say is only true for WA, it might differ in Brisbane.
    HAHA if only that were true in my state! I've been applying for jobs at Woolworths for years and I only get that goddamn no thankyou letter. The one interview I did get the manager man asked one question to me then proceeded to talk for the next 15mins without asking any other questions (strangest interview i've ever done. Though I suspect I was put in the no category the moment i walked in the door, thus the one question then 15mins of him going blah blah). I didn't end up getting that job of course

I hear alot of people from overseas get jobs fruit picking, though I think you'd have to go out to the rural areas to do that... not entirely sure...
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2013-01-26 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Brisbane weather is quite pleasant compared to the other states, they dont get as much humidity as we do strangely.
    Just not so pleasant right now .... in the midst of a severe weather event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wear Crampons on your shoes so you don't fall off the Earth.
    Putin khuliyo

Remember to see if the water runs clockwise in the toilets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    HAHA if only that were true in my state! I've been applying for jobs at Woolworths for years and I only get that goddamn no thankyou letter. The one interview I did get the manager man asked one question to me then proceeded to talk for the next 15mins without asking any other questions (strangest interview i've ever done. Though I suspect I was put in the no category the moment i walked in the door, thus the one question then 15mins of him going blah blah). I didn't end up getting that job of course
    Huh, have you applied to other stores besides Woolworths? I work in IGA and got the job pretty much straight away. My interview process was a computer test on how to work in the store. The test was basically 1 obvious answer with 1-3 other silly answers, no time limit and it told you when you got an answer wrong with unlimited retries at the question (though I didn't get any wrong obviously)

We do get a lot of applicants though, so we can't accept everyone.

A handy guide to look at, so you can know what to expect:

They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right downtown bris is an amazing hostel. it has a bar in it called the down under bar which was so fun to party at. i would highly recommend staying there it was a great place all around.

Huh, have you applied to other stores besides Woolworths? I work in IGA and got the job pretty much straight away. My interview process was a computer test on how to work in the store. The test was basically 1 obvious answer with 1-3 other silly answers, no time limit and it told you when you got an answer wrong with unlimited retries at the question (though I didn't get any wrong obviously)

We do get a lot of applicants though, so we can't accept everyone.
    The only supermarkets I know of around here are Coles and Woolworths, no Aldi, IGA, Franklins etc etc... I can only think of one other supermarket which is down the street from me and it's a small family owned business that has had the same 3 people working there for the last 10 years and is NEVER hiring >_<;; I was honestly shocked by the "Interview" when I did one for Big W when their very first store in the state was opening up I remember going to a big group interview and doing a computer test etc etc... The woolworths store the manager guy took me out the back then lectured me on how he specifically wanted women to work for him as they had better work ethic and how I had to be reliable and not let the team down for 15mins :/ It was the strangest interview ever. I don't know why he was lecturing me on being reliable as I had turned up 10mins early for the interview :S

Nope never applied for an actual job coles, all they ever have is "expressions of interest" which I put in for once every few months but I never get any letters saying to come in for interviews or anything...

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3