Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I say send it to that great big incinerator in the sky!
    Once space travel becomes cheaper I think that's exactly what will happen.

then the earth turns radioactive

Deleted
    Its expensive, thats why.

If it gets affordable, we start doing it.
    If we can afford dumping it into our sun, we start doing it.

Right now no one has the money for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Why can't we just use geothermal and other sources of renewable, clean energy thereby eliminating the need to create and dump such hazardous wastes?
    We'll still have nuclear waste, the largest source of nuclear waste is actually naturally occurring radioactive material ^^ than we indeed have waste from the powerplants ofc but that is not that much, about 1500kg for a 1gw reactor per year, we are also still stuck with medical and industrial nuclear waste. So even with renewable energy sources we would still have a problem.
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2013-01-26 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because a wind powered car is hard to build and a geothermal powered car is going to be... well... stationary
    It's just too bad that we don't have any form of technology that can store the energy we get from geothermal- and wind-powerplants in a portable format. I theorise that it could take the form of a portable box of something like that. perhaps with some kind of connectors that allowed you to transfer energy in and out of it. I know the idea sounds a bit batty, but I think it could really work! Hey...maybe we should name it after the batty-ness of the idea...battery or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    It's just too bad that we don't have any form of technology that can store the energy we get from geothermal- and wind-powerplants in a portable format. I theorise that it could take the form of a portable box of something like that. perhaps with some kind of connectors that allowed you to transfer energy in and out of it. I know the idea sounds a bit batty, but I think it could really work! Hey...maybe we should name it after the batty-ness of the idea...battery or something like that?
    We could operate them like cable cars. Or maybe like dodgems, just have a metal grill over top the road and a pole leading up to the top to pick up the energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    then the earth turns radioactive
    The Earth is radioactive already; it's her natural state. Where do you think we are getting the uranium for our power plants in the first place? We dig it out of the ground.
    Terrestrial radiation is present everywhere on Earth, mainly caused by Thorium 232, Uranium 235 and 238 and Potasssium 40. Storing all our radioactive waste within the Earth would have no effect on the radioactivity of our planet.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    The Earth is radioactive already; it's her natural state. Where do you think we are getting the uranium for our power plants in the first place? We dig it out of the ground.
    Terrestrial radiation is present everywhere on Earth, mainly caused by Thorium 232, Uranium 235 and 238 and Potasssium 40. Storing all our radioactive waste within the Earth would have no effect on the radioactivity of our planet.

AHHH Thorium nuke plants, i admire thee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why not just dump it in space, on the moon!
    I wouldn't mind if the moon glowed green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't we use the god damn billion dollar facility we ALREADY HAVE BUILT?
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

15+ Year Old Account
    I say, launch it into space!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't we just use geothermal and other sources of renewable, clean energy thereby eliminating the need to create and dump such hazardous wastes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Because it sounds fucking expensive I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why not just dump it in space, on the moon!
    Because it sounds fucking expensive I think.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I say send it to that great big incinerator in the sky!
    sounds fucking expensive I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    exactly what the title says we could easily find a uninhabited subduction zone where the earth is getting sucked down back into the mantle where it wont be moving for 10s of thousands of years unless there is a catastrophe that would already probably elminate most life forms on the planet?
    it sounds fucking expensive I think.
    I think you don't really know what a subduction zone looks like in reality. Just dumping it on the ocean floor will most likely not make it go underneath the adjoining plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    We could operate them like cable cars. Or maybe like dodgems, just have a metal grill over top the road and a pole leading up to the top to pick up the energy.
    it sounds fucking expensive I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    Why don't we use the god damn billion dollar facility we ALREADY HAVE BUILT?
    That really is all that needs be said on this entire thread. What we are doing now is the most cost effective solution to the issue. As technology advances, a better solution may be found, or the creation of said nuclear waste may cease.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because that would be the same as burying it in Central Park.

You can't really think that you can hide something forever in the ocean... even less when we don't even know the 80% of it.

I think the OP is trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there might be shark-people living down there and we wont want them to become radioactive-mutant-shark-people and come to the surface and kill us all. Seriously though its too far down and the current might push it to a lively part of the ocean and it would be expensive.

It would probably be cheaper to gather it all up and once every 6 months or so just launch it into space. More environmentally friendly (for Earth) to do it that way. But, that is still too expensive, and companies will ALWAYS take the cheapest route, which is doing exactly what they are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because a wind powered car is hard to build and a geothermal powered car is going to be... well... stationary
    China/India will keep polluting no matter what car we drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geothermal is nightmarish on equipment, solar and wind are have low dispatchable energy.

Look, I work in RP, and it's getting slightly annoying how many myths people hold on Nuclear Energy. Posting a thread like this invites speculation and ignorance, not discussion of facts.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-co...t061-0055.html

Ask someone that works in the field, or check the website of the agency that regulates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

1 good reason to not dump radioactive waste in the ocean... Godzilla. We dont need more godzillas.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would only take a single instance of something going wrong, and then the currents of the ocean in question would become radioactive, and irradiate every location that current reaches. Some flow very close to others so you could potentially have radioactive waste spreading throughout every ocean on the planet.

If you wanted to bury it deep enough to not be a future issue if all goes well then it would cost a hell of a lot of money, and if something did go wrong then the cost to fix it wuld be astronomical, as would be the fallout even if it did get fixed.