Looking for upgrade

Ok I need help to upgrade my computer.....

I dont know which way to take or if its even worth upgrading right now.

I sport a 6950 with a 2500k OC at 4.5 GHz, 120gb ssd, 8gb of ram (only 2 stick but I dont need more at all a I barely break the 50% usage atm lol). For the rest I dotn think the mobo need upgrading atm (asrock extreme 3 gen3).

For the CPU .....from what I saw abotu 3750k....it just seem to be a sidegrade (I may be wrong explain me why it would be better, except for power consumption which I think is almost the same when OC'ed)

For the GPU I dont know if I shoul dchange it or just crossfire it.... If I replace it for another one ...I would go back with Nvidia(drivers updating with AMD is pissing me off).

Oh the PSU is an Antec 650w (again If i crossfire I wonder if I would need to go for a 750w or if the 650w would be fine.

I know something could be could to upgrade.....because I cant max every game now :P ( I need to play at ultra setting on everything lol)

You could get a GTX 680 or a Radeon 7970 but I don't really think it is worth it. I wouldn't go crossfire at least.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You could get a GTX 680 or a Radeon 7970 but I don't really think it is worth it. I wouldn't go crossfire at least.
    So basicaly right now... I should just wait? I was thinking about waiting the 8 series amd or 700 from nvidia......go figure THe jump should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    So basicaly right now... I should just wait? I was thinking about waiting the 8 series amd or 700 from nvidia......go figure THe jump should be better.
    Yeah, that sounds good.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'd wait on the GPU front.

In the meantime, if you are finding your Steam/games folder is getting too big for your 120GB SSD, I'd suggest buying another SSD, at least 120GB or if you can afford it one of the 240-256GB SSDs. That's one of my most hopeful upgrades within the next 6 months or whenever I can.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah, I'd wait on the GPU front.

In the meantime, if you are finding your Steam/games folder is getting too big for your 120GB SSD, I'd suggest buying another SSD, at least 120GB or if you can afford it one of the 240-256GB SSDs. That's one of my most hopeful upgrades within the next 6 months or whenever I can.
    Nah my steam folder is my 1.5TB caviar black and wait time are fine (3-4 sec generally) so it doesnt bother me too much atm I have my most played game and Revit 2012 on my SSD + the OS. If I go for an ssd ill go with a 240 or something mushkin enhanced delux (i have the 120gb version and its blazing fast AND works perfectly)

So basically .....just swallow the pill and wait for new GPU series for 2013. I will just let my 6950 in its OC setup while I game. (I just normally let it at normal spec to make its life longer but my OC is maintaining perfectly fine at 67 C under load.)

Any info on the next series?
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2013-01-27 at 05:08 AM.

If your just running one monitor at 1080p it stick to what you have till the next gen of GPUs. As for jumping to ivy from a 2500k, personally i think its pointless. Just crank your 2500k up to 5.0ghz if you got the cooling for it.
    Does Warlock Stuffz

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I need help to upgrade my computer.....
    What does this mean, exactly? The 6850 is an alright card. Are you dropping frames or need something specific? Probably your best bet without breaking the bank is a 7950 or wait for the new cards to come out in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What does this mean, exactly? The 6850 is an alright card. Are you dropping frames or need something specific? Probably your best bet without breaking the bank is a 7950 or wait for the new cards to come out in a few months.
    I have a 6950, and some newer game are starting to lag. (maybe its just game that are bad ...go figure)

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    If your just running one monitor at 1080p it stick to what you have till the next gen of GPUs. As for jumping to ivy from a 2500k, personally i think its pointless. Just crank your 2500k up to 5.0ghz if you got the cooling for it.
    already at 4.8 GHz stable (H80 cooling unit) I dont think it would enhance my performance by goign 200MHz higher for the moment hence the reason I didnt think about upgrading the CPU.
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2013-01-28 at 03:57 PM.