10+ Year Old Account

Dual monitor, game shows FPS drop of at or over 50%?!

So i just got my long wanted second monitor this afternoon. But after i hooked it all up, i noticed that whenever i tried to play a game on my main monitor and do different things with the other monitor, i starting dropping in framerate. And not just a bit, quite drastically. Pretty much starting at 50% and worse.

Now at first, a friend of mine suggested i would set both monitors at the same refresh rate. Since the main monitor is a 120Hz LCD and the offmonitor is a 60Hz LCD. So I did. It helped, but nowhere near acceptable levels. It's still far to big of a loss to be normal.

The weird thing about it is.. sometimes it's fine.. and sometimes it's not.

The only permanent solution i managed to find myself was putting my game at fullschreen, instead of fullschreen (windowed)..
    But that is kind of not what i want. Since it minimizes the game when i use the alternative monitor.

I'm running an EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition, one monitor (120Hz) being connected via DVI-D. And the alternative (60Hz) being connected via HDMI.
    Both directly into the GPU ofcourse.

Can anyone solve this massive framerate lag problem for me? I would highly appreciate it.

Need more information? Just ask, I've build the machine myself so i know exactly what it is made of.

Does this happen in every game? Have you checked the load and clock on your GPU when this happens?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    when adding a second monitor you having to "render" twice as much screen information, so there will be a FPS drop.
    What processor are you using ? and when you say a drop in FPS, what are you before and after FPS results ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    when adding a second monitor you having to "render" twice as much screen information, so there will be a FPS drop.
    What processor are you using ? and when you say a drop in FPS, what are you before and after FPS results ?
    Yeah ofcourse. But not a 50%+ FPS drop. It might be twice the pixels but it's not twice the power needed since the alternative doesn't run any game.

I use a home-overclocked i5-3570k @ 4400MHz.

So far, i've only been playing SWTOR.. however.. after trying a few other games.. it seems that it is indeed isolated just to that game.

That makes me sad. But i rest my case.

Does SWTOR have some kind of background FPS limiter?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Does SWTOR have some kind of background FPS limiter?
    Don't think so. It's also when i go back to selecting the application and play again.. the lag sometimes stays for a long time.. over 15 minutes.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 01:53 AM ----------

Apparently i still had the games setting on 120Hz.. while the monitor was running 60. Ill play this for a while, if it doesn't come back, thanks for bothering.

If it does... i guess there is nothing that can help it anyway :/

Deleted
    dont give up so easily
    Check on the SWOTR forums for any help regarding dual screens, since it is only happening in that game it would seem the issue lies with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=142070

I'm not alone. Too bad i havn't been able to find a solution as of yet.

Deleted
    Try putting the game in windowed mode i have had this in a few games in the past and normally windowed mode works as simple as it sounds

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewaudbys View Post
    Try putting the game in windowed mode i have had this in a few games in the past and normally windowed mode works as simple as it sounds
    I can't believe that actually worked..

One more thing now though, pressing certain button combination sometimes plays the windows error sounds (ding) for example if i press Alt+F sometimes it does that. Is there anything against that, or will i just have to cope with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    The FPS drop would be miniscule, not by any larger than 2-4%.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    The FPS drop would be miniscule, not by any larger than 2-4%.
    Which is pretty much the case right now.

Thanks for the help guys

And if anyone knows a solution to those sounds, i would love that. If not, it's something i can get used to.