Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Thunderfury was whipped out of nowhere and Shadowmourne is a Frostmourne knockoff in the most literal sense. Thori'dal has absolutely no significant lore behind it. This isn't the first time we've gotten legendaries conjured out of nowhere; not all of them are like Atiesh or the Blades of Azzinoth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think for the weapon gems besides the stats they should off added something flavorful. It wouldn't even have to be damage or heals or anything on proc. But imagine Chance on hit/spell cast: Summon the spirit of one of the many siblings slain by Wraithion at your side for 30 seconds. Just something where the spirit maybe whispers you telling you about how Wraithion murdercuted the crap out of his own flight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Thunderfury was whipped out of nowhere and Shadowmourne is a Frostmourne knockoff in the most literal sense. Thori'dal has absolutely no significant lore behind it. This isn't the first time we've gotten legendaries conjured out of nowhere; not all of them are like Atiesh or the Blades of Azzinoth.
    Thori'Dal was supposed to have a lore, and we should obtain it after a long questsuit, but they havn't any time left to do that, so it was turned into a drop.
    Thunderfury has a lore and an epic quests suit where you finally have to fight the first major air elemental of the game, also the blade is "filled" with badass thunder, also, the unique proc makes the item particular and unforgettable.
    Shadowmourne is a replacement for the expected by the greatest part of the players Frostmourne, since lorewise it was impossible to make it available for players, Blizzard decided to give them Shadowmourne because they were disappointed. Same, unique and cool effect, and also, this questsuit gives you an epic mount that perfectly goes with the weapon.

We literally get a solid state of a concentrated form of fear in our weapon. We actually built a weapon capable of storing a chunk of the sha of fear and are harnessing his power. Terror, Dread, and horror and all other names for fear which we have now mastered and wield as our power. I thought it was pretty badass to be honest. I personally love the legendary system in Cata, it prevents class stacking due to said legendary. Also random drops of the past just didn't feel epic either to me. It's a nice medium.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 11:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    A lot a quest which are not legendary are better than this.
    Please tell me the winning lottery numbers next week because apparently you know the future. It's not done yet.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-01-27 at 04:41 AM. Reason: grammer
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Yeah. Thunderfury and Sulferas? Made up for Vanilla. The bow? Made up from nowhere. The Ulduar Hammer? Made up out of nowhere. Shadowmourne was as you say a knockoff of Frostmourne. A way to give players somethign similar to Frostmourne without giving them the actual blade. Altiesh I wouldn't even count, because while it IS Medivh's staff and that makes it cool, no particular significance had been placed on that staff before hand. The Last Guardian novel certainly didn't place any particular importance on it. Dragonwrath and Fangs of the Father were made up for their patches. Really ONLY the warglaives had prior lore and they were only really significant because they were Illidan's iconic weapons.

The only function of legendary gems is to stroke ego of masses who would otherwise never get a legendary, ever.

That includes me. I was never close to getting a legendary and never will. I appreciate the hardwork going into a real legendary, as in thundefury, blades of azzinoth, valanyr. Those legendaries signify success, achievement, dedication. The gems on the other hand are a joke. It is so easy to get one, everyone and their mother has one. There is nothing legendary about it other than the stats.

It's the tenet of most video games the reward reflects the achievement and good rewards come from proportionately harder content. Yet, with the silly orange gems, Blizzard ignores this. If very slightly superior gear comes from greatly more difficult content, as in hard modes, and greatly superior gems come from super easy content, then it just doesn't make sense.

Blades of Azzinoth: Kill last boss of instance repeatedly until item drops
    Crystallised Dread: Kill every boss of tier until items drop, kill last boss of instance

10+ Year Old Account
    But there are some pretty awesome cinematics, scenes with Wrathion, and just an overall lengthy quest line we can all participate towards, even if we aren't doing Heroic Raids on farm. Also, you can't really judge how legendary or epic the quest line is, without seeing how it ends.
    Last edited by Noah37; 2013-01-27 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Deleted
    Gems finally mean that everyone who wants to can participate in a legendary quest for legendary rewards. Before MoP, legendaries were just things I helped other people get. Now as a tank I can use one in current content and it feels good tbh. Less qq. At the end of the day its just pixels anyway.

If anything the gems make the game worse. It's nice to have the stats, but I'm not able to drop 10k each time I get an upgrade. I started with an LFR Sha-touched weapon, and then had to pay 10k gold to get a new gem when I got lucky and received a 'normal mode' Sha-touched weapon. We'll probably be on heroics (finally) in the next week or two if 5.2 doesn't drop by then, PLUS there are yet-frigging-more sha-touched weapons coming in 5.2.

None of this is legendary. It's just a pain in the ass. I don't dare avoid them though, or else I won't be "pulling my weight".

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    PLUS there are yet-frigging-more sha-touched weapons coming in 5.2.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    You're really best off sticking to information actually contained in our patch notes or other official channels of communication if you're looking to avoid confusion.

There are no more Sha-Touched weapons forthcoming. If you've been diligent about helping Wrathion and continue to do so, your reward in 5.2 is going to be a legendary meta-gem that can go in any helmet.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...gold-too-much/

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are absolutely right, so feel free to not use the gems.

The quests do fell very lackluster compared to previous legandaries (probably because they are available thru LFR)

Deleted
    i have the ledgendary gem and nothing to use it in, for months now ive ran lfr and normals and still not got a weapon to put it in its just some useless thing taking room in my bag, heres ur cake but u aint gunna eat it sort of thing...