Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    My fave boss fight was The news reporter guy, just played out a bit differently, though for the most part you can just quickly hit the floor and avoid most of the mechanics, the news camera part is pretty cool too

As for the lock on being removed, the games works without it but as you play the harder modes i really wish it was in. Trying to grapple flying targets and going to ones on the ground, or trying to kablooey harpies and hitting other enemies gets quite annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Istark View Post
    If DMD is as difficult as it was in DMC 3 I'm buying it.

It's not. The gameplay is really watered down when you compare it to DMC 3. I didn't have high hopes to begin with, but damn. I mean, I can see people still liking it because it's easy and accessible, so it appeals to the casual market, but I can't stand it. If it wasn't labeled as a Devil May Cry game, maybe I wouldn't have such an issue with it, but it's trying to be something it just isn't. It's a shame we probably won't ever see a proper DMC 5 now. We'll probably just get a DmC 2. Ah well. Guess I'll just see what direction Bayonetta 2 takes.

I'm boycotting this game solely on the basis that Tameem Antoniades is a prick. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I also happen to think it's a downgrade in pretty much every significant way from past DMC games. Even the voice acting somehow manages to edge out the infamous, "I WANTED TO BE THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTTT" scene from DMC 1 as the worst voice acting in the series, and some of it is honestly on par with the original Resident Evil.

I think it's kind of cool that they put in a classic Dante skin for those that prefer his old look, but it's all too little too late imo. And I don't give a rat's ass about the bastardized story they're trying to tell here. I don't care that it's a reboot, I want a continuation of the old story, with the characters I actually care about. I've been waiting for 10 fucking years for a sequel to DMC 2, and it's been nothing but prequels and a shitty reboot since then. Not that I didn't love DMC 3 and 4, but come on, I want the story to move forward. And if for some ridiculous reason they don't want to move forward with the series, they could always give us a Sparda prequel. I see no reason to reboot the series honestly. In my mind, this game shouldn't exist.

Anywho, to those that like the game. Sorry I jumped into your thread to rain on your parade. Enjoy your game, but people like me are never gonna stop hating it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I'm boycotting this game solely on the basis that Tameem Antoniades is a prick. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I also happen to think it's a downgrade in pretty much every significant way from past DMC games. Even the voice acting somehow manages to edge out the infamous, "I WANTED TO BE THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTTT" scene from DMC 1 as the worst voice acting in the series, and some of it is honestly on par with the original Resident Evil.

I think it's kind of cool that they put in a classic Dante skin for those that prefer his old look, but it's all too little too late imo. And I don't give a rat's ass about the bastardized story they're trying to tell here. I don't care that it's a reboot, I want a continuation of the old story, with the characters I actually care about. I've been waiting for 10 fucking years for a sequel to DMC 2, and it's been nothing but prequels and a shitty reboot since then. Not that I didn't love DMC 3 and 4, but come on, I want the story to move forward. And if for some ridiculous reason they don't want to move forward with the series, they could always give us a Sparda prequel. I see no reason to reboot the series honestly. In my mind, this game shouldn't exist.

Anywho, to those that like the game. Sorry I jumped into your thread to rain on your parade. Enjoy your game, but people like me are never gonna stop hating it.

Honestly, I can totally understand why someone like you would hate this reboot. I played all the games since DMC 1 when it first came out, but I was never a hardcore fan, they were more complete and move onto the next game titles for me, so my experience will be alot different than yours. But yeah, I see why you wouldn't want to play and power to you if that's your decision.

I just finished playing on Nephalem mode, and I liked it. It was fun, combat was entertaining and the story at least kept me going long enough to get to the end.
    I don't like Dante's new style, I completely realise that they were trying to imagine the series, but I still think they failed to make a Dante anywhere near as interesting as the original, he was shallow and kind of boring IMO.

On the whole It was worth a play through, a pretty decent game but not worthy of the DMC name.

If it had been another franchise, it would have been somehow much easier to stomach.

personally i don't miss the old difficulty of the dmc series. i still remember getting my ass kicked in dmc 3... on easy lol. much easier to get into this one and i feel its more fun for it. course the hardcore players that mastered the combat in the old series will obviously think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Honestly, I can totally understand why someone like you would hate this reboot. I played all the games since DMC 1 when it first came out, but I was never a hardcore fan, they were more complete and move onto the next game titles for me, so my experience will be alot different than yours. But yeah, I see why you wouldn't want to play and power to you if that's your decision.

I just finished playing on Nephalem mode, and I liked it. It was fun, combat was entertaining and the story at least kept me going long enough to get to the end.
    I don't like Dante's new style, I completely realise that they were trying to imagine the series, but I still think they failed to make a Dante anywhere near as interesting as the original, he was shallow and kind of boring IMO.

On the whole It was worth a play through, a pretty decent game but not worthy of the DMC name.

If it had been another franchise, it would have been somehow much easier to stomach.
    I agree with you that it'd be easier to stomach if it was a different franchise. I don't think it's a bad game per se, it just doesn't live up to the previous games in the series. And just so you know, it's not like I haven't done my research. I played the demo, and I've watched a lot of videos for both the story and gameplay. I could spend 3 hours typing up a post just on how the combat is inferior to DMC 3 and 4, and I still wouldn't even be close to stating all the ways that this game doesn't live up to the previous games in the series.

As I said before though, a large part of why I won't get this game is because Tameem Antoniades is a prick. For those that don't know, he directed some very arrogant remarks towards the fans of the series in some interviews. You can find these interviews on youtube on IGN's channel. To give some highlights though, he said that old Dante isn't cool anymore and the fans only think he's cool because they're stupid, and they need someone like him to tell them what's cool. He said that we don't know what we want, and once the hardcore fans get a hold of his game they'll accept it without question. Basically, he could have been in that South Park episode about smug and George Clooney's acceptance speech. Then he gets on this utterly ridiculous rant about how old Dante isn't relevant to today's culture, and that what's actually relevant to the youth of today is the time he spent in the 80s as part of a London punk group and that to make a cool game you've gotta tap into that same energy because DMC has always been about underground punk music.

Yes, he's as batshit crazy as he sounds.

Yeah the hardcore community is very quiet about the game, i dont think i saw any DmC videos from the hardcore players like Kail and Brea
    Last edited by Sargerus; 2013-01-27 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First time playing DMC here. Must say really enjoying it. Can't beat a good old hack and slash game mixed in with some fun combos

DmC isn't popular with the hardcore community, because it's pretty much a joke to score SSS ranks on stages, without much effort. You can have huge delays in combos and chains and it just doesn't matter. The game itself is good, but it's not going to be recommendable to people who were hoping for another DMC 3 for example.

For the DMC 4 crowd, it's still good, with less emphasis on flawless gameplay and more focus on ridiculous/cool stuff, with a story that's not utterly terrible, though it is incredibly stupid (something of a paradox there). I think it'll draw more people to the series and the fact the PC version has the original Dante skin means the change doesn't even matter. I'm curious as to whether DmC will garner a sequel and if they'll actually aim for a return to the DMC 3 level of difficulty. The guys at Ninja have just been focusing too much on the casual appeal of their games lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    DmC isn't popular with the hardcore community, because it's pretty much a joke to score SSS ranks on stages, without much effort. You can have huge delays in combos and chains and it just doesn't matter. The game itself is good, but it's not going to be recommendable to people who were hoping for another DMC 3 for example.

For the DMC 4 crowd, it's still good, with less emphasis on flawless gameplay and more focus on ridiculous/cool stuff, with a story that's not utterly terrible, though it is incredibly stupid (something of a paradox there). I think it'll draw more people to the series and the fact the PC version has the original Dante skin means the change doesn't even matter. I'm curious as to whether DmC will garner a sequel and if they'll actually aim for a return to the DMC 3 level of difficulty. The guys at Ninja have just been focusing too much on the casual appeal of their games lately.
    IMO DMC4's biggest problem was the HUGE amount of backtracking, this is something DmC has really done right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    IMO DMC4's biggest problem was the HUGE amount of backtracking, this is something DmC has really done right
    dmc4's level and enemy design was pretty boring, and the story was painful(still not as painful as this dmc5) at times, but it has the best combat of all the dmc games.
    I mean you can switch styles on the fly and carry 3 weapons(although lucifer is pretty lame, they should have put nevan instead of that one)

I just bought the game yesterday, and beat it on "Normal" difficulty just 5 minutes ago. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could say that the scope of the game was not at all impressive. I thought the level design was fantastic, the boss fights were both challenging and visually appealing at the same time, and I thought the soundtrack worked extremely well with everything going on around you. The designers found a good solution to the ever-hated Quick-Time Event style of gameplay by having scattered moments where you either use your angel or demon pull abilities to affect the environment around you - and I actually really enjoyed those moments.

All in all, I'd heavily recommend giving it a play through. I know there's a lot of die-hard fans of how the series used to be, and they're just never going to accept the game, the characters, or the story for what it is. What people need to understand is that DmC wasn't meant to be supplemental to the original games, nor is it a spin-off. It's a complete re-imagining, and it's a damn good one in my opinion. Had this game been the one to hit shelves all those years ago, people would be shouting from the mountaintops about great it is. Just put away your prejudice about the game, and give it a fair chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Aku View Post
    What people need to understand is that DmC wasn't meant to be supplemental to the original games, nor is it a spin-off. It's a complete re-imagining, and it's a damn good one in my opinion. Had this game been the one to hit shelves all those years ago, people would be shouting from the mountaintops about great it is. Just put away your prejudice about the game, and give it a fair chance.
    I understand it, I just don't like it or want anything to do with it. And I have given the game more than a fair chance.

And everything that the game did right, the older games did much much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durmindo View Post
    Are the combos hard/clunky to execute on it? What are the keybindings too?

Thanks in advance
    Soon as I started playing I realized that the movement controls aren't bound to WSAD. In fact, you have to use Z to run forward which to me is completely insane. After some rebinding I had no trouble getting used to the controls and executing good combos.

The game is amazing, I thought for sure that they would fuck up the game by doing a reboot by thankfully I was dead wrong. I also can't believe that the game runs amazing on high graphics with my 4 year old PC :P
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account

Devil May Cry-Wonderful Game

I usually can't stand to play any other video games then wow on my pc, for whatever reason. I buy and download games and put them down almost 30 minutes after playing them

But I have to say the new Devil May Cry is probably one of the best pc games I have ever played, if not the best. The storyline was actually very compelling to me. The storyline actually gets you hooked regardless if you have played the previous ones or not. You actually get emotionally attached to some of the characters.

Despite it being a hack and slash game the mechanics were superb along with the mobility mechanics and made the game very fun. The combat and combos were very fluid.

If you haven't checked it out, you definitely should. I played it from beginning to end without putting it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoU2IDR8pY4

I also love the game, tho i find it a little too short. But combat is great, and level design is the best i have ever seen. The game is just wonderfull imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I also love the game, tho i find it a little too short. But combat is great, and level design is the best i have ever seen. The game is just wonderfull imo.
    Yeah I wish it was longer. And you are right, can't believe i forgot to mention how amazing the graphics and level design was.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Other then the whole new look of Dante and Vergil It's not a bad game the game play is especially pretty nice.

Deleted
    I wish I could afford to buy games on release aswell : (

You guys think it's worth 40 euro? About how many hours of gameplay from start to finish?

Deleted
    The game itself is awesome, the combat is more easily to get a grasp on, something that was critized in the old Devil May Cry.
    The level design is astonishing, the little jump and run parts are fun either.

But the old fans of the series dislike the new Dante heavily and cling onto the old one (The old one looks more badass by a mile, in my book)

Had much fun playing it.