Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If you are talking about upgrading from a 450 blue to a 489 purple then I would consider taking a haste/mastery intellect plate item. 463-489 I'd think about it, but probably pass. Any other case - don't bother. And if the Int piece has anything other than haste/mastery, disenchant it before you take it as a tank.
    Very much agree. There is a reason no guides advocate taking intellect pieces - ultimately it should serve as a placeholder until you can get your hands on a STR piece, but if you're like me and have been stuck with 450 belt for the longest time (and spending valor on other pieces), then a 496 int belt is a decent alternative until you can at least buy a 489 STR piece.

And to add, part of being a good player is knowing why and how to adapt and not just rigidly/blindly relying on guides.
    Last edited by Fhi; 2013-01-30 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    just rigidly/blindly relying on guides.
    If people can't understand the difference between a guide and a law/rule then it's a bit concerning - if English is their first language of course, otherwise you can be exempt. A guide simply points you in the right direction and shows you the way, you can choose to ignore it and it won't give you everything. A law requires interpretation and a rule requires just obeying. If people want to blindly follow something, look for a set of rules rather than a guide.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Problem is most people just look to blindly. There are cases where a 476 str is better than a 502 int, and there are times a 496 int could be better than a 489str. Not sure if this exists in this tier, havent compared all str vs int pieces, only the ones I have gotten. It all depends on the sockets and secondary stats.

Point is, to say "I would never take x ilvl int over x ilvl str" is just stupid and close minded. You have to individually compare each situation.

Also just because an int item got spirit or crit, it can still be better than a str. As said, you gotta compare each situation.

@Fhi "No guides advocating int"

Just because no guides advocate it doesn't mean you shouldn't use them. When I statrted in MoP I always used haste build and told other people to use haste build. All guides at the time said that haste build was "fun" but not / probably not viable. Not a single guide mentioned it as even remotely close to other builds.

Guides are built on current information, but are still made by humans. Humans are not all knowing. Sometimes you gotta think for yourself a bit.

Guides are good, but when reading a guide, always question it. Don't blindly agree with it.''

Ofc, as you say, int items are placeholders ofc, but why not take them if you can and need? And nobody else needs them ofc.
    Do you pass on all loot until your BiS drops? Do you pass on the normal mode loot even if it is an upgrade because Heroic mode is bis? No you probably do not.
    Same goes for int pieces. Why not pick them up given the opportunity if they are better than yours.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-01-30 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    @Fhi "No guides advocating int"

Just because no guides advocate it doesn't mean you shouldn't use them. When I statrted in MoP I always used haste build and told other people to use haste build. All guides at the time said that haste build was "fun" but not / probably not viable. Not a single guide mentioned it as even remotely close to other builds.

Guides are built on current information, but are still made by humans. Humans are not all knowing. Sometimes you gotta think for yourself a bit.

Guides are good, but when reading a guide, always question it. Don't blindly agree with it.
    In a roundabout way, we're on the same page. I am saying that most opposition that use the reason "Because X's guide says so" would do better to understand why/how those 'guides' are not always 100% gospel, if they want to get into the nuances of their classes. It's okay to just follow a guide because you (general 'you') don't want to bother with the under-the-hood stuffs - that is what guides are for - but it's cringeworthy when someone challenges a non-conventional opinion and the only reason they offer is "Because X's guide say so".

It's one reason I love this board, there are many discussions that go beyond just "it's written by X/Y/Z, so it must be right". It's a constant learning experience for me.

Isn't it strength equal or slightly better than parry?
    I mean if you have to take in consideration the strength that you will be missing. I wouldn't pick an intellect item over a strength item, except maybe if it was green and the intellect purple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Isn't it strength equal or slightly better than parry?
    I mean if you have to take in consideration the strength that you will be missing. I wouldn't pick an intellect item over a strength item, except maybe if it was green and the intellect purple.
    Parry is still a bad stat in comparison to the other stats. I don't get why people are so close minded really.

If an item got better stats, it is better. Period. Don't see why the color matters.