Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If a particular race is more prone to violence etc, is it a cultural problem or is it genetic?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest the latter, so the first option is most likely correct. But if you still think the latter, then you're unjustifiably a racist.

But if it's a cultural problem, what is fueling it? Perhaps a certain race has a harder time to get a job etc because of prejudice and racism?

Do you see where I'm going here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    Indeed, well atleast in certain point of view. Depends very much what kind of growing surroundings one have. How multi racial orso. It's pretty much about controlling and analyzing your thoughts before making any sort of conclusions or judgement that makes you come out with primitive feelings and unnecessary prejudice. Being prejudice isn't always a bad thing since it's a good thing to have when and if you enter to different neighborhoods. It's also a general knowledge that as a black guy you take a huge risk entering to some neo-nazi places or with a beer can open in your hand and short skirted hot woman with you entering to some wannabe sharia controlled areas in England. It's prejudice and understanding what's happening around that makes you think twise before doing something even though you have every right to do these things. It can still keep you out of trouble in many cases.
    Last edited by mmocfd546f5e2f; 2013-01-27 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    um, no.

Everyone has a cetain amount of prejudice deep down, its not necessarily racist.

It could be against fat people, against people wearing hoodies, against people with tattoos.....Personally I tend to look down on anyone who reads the daily mail, but I think thats somewhat justified.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Then you ARE a little racist. You do admit they are different don't you? That in itself is a form of racism, nothing to be ashamed about, we are all the same.
    I view racism as negative, noticing someone is a race isn't racist. I barely notice that when I am describing a person and they ask what race they were I tend to have to spend some time to actually think about it as I usually don't care so I forget or never notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglees View Post
    Wait, you think not being as attracted to someone of a different race is stupid, close minded and ignorant? It's not as if someone can choose who they are attracted to. That's like saying being homosexual is sexist.
    Meh I don't mind homos, just dislike the flamers (cause they are fake). I hate people that pretend even if it is something as stupid as a lisp. Me and the wife was watching that show "what would you do" and there was a situation a gay man witnessed and he used his flamboyant voice when confronting it. He did not know he was being recorded at the time. Once the host came out and explained the situation he quickly changed. Apparently he was a public officials assistant of some kind and I think that is what him drop his lisp and take a more manly approach to the questions being asked. Both me and the wife just stared at each other like did he really just do that? Reminded me of that movie "Malibu's Most Wanted" where the white guy was told to stop talking like a black person and it took a gun to his head for him to talk "white".
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2013-01-27 at 02:41 PM.

It's actually something else. Everyone is prone to try to be around those that are similar to them, and feel wary of those that are different. It's basic animal behavior, and something that ensured the survival of our species.

However, we, as intelligent human beings (hopefully), have the power to control our instincts, and use our rationality instead.
    To give some very crude examples: if you're hungry, you don't simply walk into a supermarket and start eating some food, and if a guard tries to stop you you don't simply attack him for attempting to take your food from you, like an animal would. No, you simply buy the food.
    If you're walking down the street and see an attractive woman, you don't simply go over to her and start humping, do you? No, you restrain yourself, you respect the fact that she probably doesn't want you to be humping her, and that there will be grave consequences if you do, because that's the social norm that ensures our survival and coexistence in modern times, as rational beings.

It's the same reason why, even though our primal instincts tell us to be wary of someone who looks different from us, we can be just a little smart and, you know, not be racists.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about as big a deal as being a creationist. Promoting a viewpoint with no basis in scientific fact.

Actually, no, it's worse, given that it can and does lead to violence and oppression against minorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    We're quite unevolved, you see. Primate brains and all that, so racism is a place our simple minds wander into quickly and easily. It's just so simple: They're different, they're inferior, they're at fault for all our ills.

Why isn't everybody a racist then? Well, not everyone settles for the easy answer, not everyone is the kind of idiot that'll try to define an entire individual's life experiences and personality based solely on skin colour or birth place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    How so? He answered your question. Nowhere did he ask you about your race and then hate you for your race.
    He said I was stupid without even knowing me which is exactly what his definition of racism was. I'm kind of baffled on how you missed that part...

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    It's not right to hate people of a different race, but putting your own race before others is completely natural.. it's like cheering on your own football team
    Races don't exist... we're all humans that are slightly different but "races" don't technically exist so this "team cheering" based on colours is stupid. Based on region or culture makes sense, but colour?

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't understand the definition of racism.

Being scared of a group of black teenagers on a city block is not racism.

Thinking you are superior to them because you are white is racism.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    If you are racist take that gun, point it at your head, and do us all a favour. Vile vile cretins.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-27 at 06:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    He said I was stupid without even knowing me which is exactly what his definition of racism was. I'm kind of baffled on how you missed that part...
    Ehh, attacking you as a person has nothing to do with racism since he isn't attacking your race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    The point is that mostly, races within a society are mostly secluded into different social groups. So yes, you can often generalize people based on looks without being racist, because it has a basis in statistics.

Example from Czech society:
    "I hate gypsies because everyone with darker skin is dumb." - Yes this is racist.
    "I always try to avoid gypsies because bands of them often go around beating up and robbing people." - This is the harsh truth, it's not racist, it's just a realist point of view. The PC people try to make this be racist, and that's bad, because it doesn't help solve the issue in any way.
    Please. The worst gypsies will do is steal your sheets off the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I think this guy is trolling pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Then you ARE a little racist. You do admit they are different don't you? That in itself is a form of racism, nothing to be ashamed about, we are all the same.
    Some people throw around the word racist a bit too much, like this guy.

You're not a racist for noticing the color of someones skin. They are different, if you put for example an african american man next to an asian, you'll notice a difference, yes they are both humans but they look different on the outside and you're an idiot if you don't notice it.

When I walk on the street I see people of different skin color all the time, dosn't make me racist for noticing it.w

Also I hate everyone, dosn't matter what skin color you are.

What I normally see is person Y gets annoyed at person X, Y will lose his/her temper and start to spew out anything that might offend person X, be it skin color, glasses or ugly clothes, whatever to make X feel bad or just for Y to feel better.
    Last edited by LeVvE; 2013-01-27 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Meh I don't mind homos, just dislike the flamers (cause they are fake). I hate people that pretend even if it is something as stupid as a lisp. Me and the wife was watching that show "what would you do" and there was a situation gay man witnessed and he used his flamboyant voice when confronting it. He did not know he was being recorded at the time. Once the host came out and explained the situation he quickly changed. Apparently he was a public officials assistant of some kind and I think that is what him drop his lisp and take a more manly approach to the questions being asked. Both me and the wife just stared at each other like did he really just do that? Reminded me of that movie "Malibu's Most Wanted" where the white guy was told to stop talking like a black person and it took a gun to his head for him to talk "white".
    Oh God this OP...

Some straight guys are very macho... are they fake too and do you hate them? Some gays are very feminine. You know what that means? That's how they are, they're not fake, some are some aren't, some people are very macho because they are and some fake it. You do know there is a recognized speech pattern for gay males right? Multiple reasons for why but it does exist and some people go about and and consciously change the way they speak to sound more "normal" more "straight" there is an acting coach in California who teaches tons of people how to speak more straight, even straight guys.

I mean I am English and I speak in a slight slight English accent almost all the time, but when I am not thinking about it or who I am talking to I will sound as though I just came off the plane. Am I fake?

Racism is not a big deal?

Racism is a very serious subject and should never be taken lightly.

Check out where racism lead us during WWII and then come back and tell us one more time how it's not a big deal!
    History is there to learn from it, so that we won't repeat the same mistakes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Ehh, attacking you as a person has nothing to do with racism since he isn't attacking your race.
    zzzzzzz

It was his exact definition - I am very aware of what racism is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    If a particular race is more prone to violence etc, is it a cultural problem or is it genetic?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest the latter, so the first option is most likely correct. But if you still think the latter, then you're unjustifiably a racist.

But if it's a cultural problem, what is fueling it? Perhaps a certain race has a harder time to get a job etc because of prejudice and racism?

Do you see where I'm going here?
    not either of those,

Whether you notice it or not, the planet we call home also supports incalculable life, ranging from the tiniest of microscopic bacteria to the largest of towering trees. Each living organism occupies a specific niche in its environment. Still, survival comes at a cost in our world where resources such as food and space are often limited.

This is where adaptation -- when an organism becomes better matched with its current environment -- comes into play. In general, adaptations can be structural (meaning an organism undergoes bodily changes to survive) or behavioral (when a specific behavior increases an organism's chances of survival).

Adaptations, such as birds migrating south for the winter or animals using tools to forage for food, occur at the individual and population levels, as we'll learn later on.

So what causes organisms to adapt?

Environmental factors -- including competition for resources, predation, infectious diseases, climate and seasonality -- play a large role. As we learn more about how life adapts to its environment, we'll discover that some adaptations occur in a few generations whereas others take many generations to fine-tune.