Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem.
    Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    First part is racist, I'm white and I know a few non white people who do drugs and many more white people who do drugs, however that is subjective to your genral area and has nothing to do with race just social groups.

Second I fins that ironic, I won't argue with it since I myself to acknowledge there are indeed varying degree's of racism some damaging some harmless, just depends when, where and how you enact it.

To answer the question without running in circles. I do not think racism is a big deal, I think that when people act upon racism that it becomes a VERY big deal.

EDIT: I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally.

Racism is human nature.

Acting on it and actually applying it to how you treat people is what defines you as a person though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    One of the silliest things I have ever heard.

As for the OP, I dont quite understand the question at hand. I think question should be the opposite.

"Truly educated men can never be a racist. To educate is to drive what is within, are we not all the same under the skin?" - Akala.

Everyone judges you based on how you look, before they get to know you. People who say they never judge people from looks are kidding themselves. It's in the human nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    K I think I got what I needed from this thread. (that I'm not racist just dislike certain cultures and aware of the differences) Thanks for the input guys.
    Just as a note, you may want to edit this into your original post for people who don't feel like digging through 8 pages or posts or checking your post history to find this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's only a big deal if you actively talk about it in a demeaning fashion to others. Otherwise, it's really not a big deal because we all subconsciously judge each other to some degree. Nothing wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    alot of you are just stero-typing, that is a form of racism

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    That's true, if you're a racist just try to put that aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    I don't completely disagree with you, but you're not helpful in the least.

Someone who you disagree with reaches out in a fairly reasonable way and instead of discussing their viewpoint with them, you insult them and tell them they are stupid in no uncertain terms without offering anything in the way of the statistics or figures you seem to value so highly.

I think the OP isn't the only one with something to learn.
    OP is only playing the victim, because he apparently isn't able (and I doubt he's very open to have his opinion changed with what he said in his last sentence) to see why his prejudice opinions towards races are, in fact, racist.

Also, where did I say that OP was stupid, and where did I insult him?

I pointed out that he is ill-informed and prejudiced. This is quite simply put, fact. Not an insult.

Racism is bad, but willful ignorance of trends in races is also bad

Pattern recognition seems to work in every other aspect of life except sociology because it may "hurt someones feelings".

uh, A group of people being more "prone to violence" is a cultural issue, not a genetic one

I don't know why racist people try to make correlations between a action, and your racial background.

Deleted
    Racism is innate. Sorry to break it to you all who think they are not racist at all but neuroscience/psychology has shown on hundreds of studies that racism is the exact same as any other cognitive schema and comes instinctively thus you have no control.

It's all to do with social identity and how our brain shortcuts the information we receive. However, just because we positively value the race we belong to doesn't mean you are going to go an lynch people of another race. There are different forms of racism, mostly formed by people not interacting with people of multiple races on a regular basis. You shouldn't prejudge someone based on their skin colour for any sort of reason but it is natural for individuals to be prejudice towards those of races they do not belong.

A hatred for other races (which is what racism actually means) is not acceptable. You cant possibly understand anyone based on skin colour period, anyone who does is just ignorant and needs a beating.

Fun fact - Generally racists are right wing, have an authoritarian personalities and are universally racist.

I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem.
    White boys who grow up in communities that are not well off end up doing drugs and shit just as much as the black kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but if you're going to cite facts, make sure your facts are right because in this case, you are quite incorrect.

"Firearm homicide is the leading cause of death for African Americans ages 1-44.1

African Americans make up nearly 13% of the U.S. population, but in 2009 suffered almost 24% of all firearm deaths – and over 54% of all firearm homicides."

Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED), at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_lcd.html (last visited Mar. 8, 2012) (hereinafter WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009; Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]
    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (Sept. 2011), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]

In addition, so far this thread has been surprisingly reasonable, and therefore, I see why it isn't locked. No one is spewing hate, even the biased members are being calm and reasonable in their discussion.

I'm impressed MMO-C community, I'm impressed.
    While this is true if you look at the context of the deaths most of them are black on black crimes. For the most part crime is intraracial so people should be wary more of people from their own race than that of others. Are you wary of all black people or are you wary of gang members? Because I am going to be honest the black lady in the starbucks waiting on her latte is not thinking about robbing you or raping you for that matter.

I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    Where do you draw the line then? How many people of a particular race does it take committing violence for you to label that entire race? Because there's been plenty of violence by every race. And plenty of drug use by every race. So if one race does it more than the other races it's worth the stereotype? Be real man.

If that is true aren't you being a racist with your own comment?
    No, he is being factually correct.

I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    ...So you want to be treated like an individual, but you treat those that are of a differnt race as a mass rather than individuals... Did you realise you just did that? Are you that blind? Or are you just trying to start up arguments.

Seriously think about what you just wrote, because you want to be treated like an individual for not treating others as individuals...../confused.
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-01-27 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Where do you draw the line then? How many people of a particular race does it take committing violence for you to label that entire race? Because there's been plenty of violence by every race. And plenty of drug use by every race. So if one race does it more than the other races it's worth the stereotype? Be real man.
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.
    Which race would it be that's the only one that does terrorism? Were this guy and this guy not terrorists? What about this?