Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.
    No, terrorism can be done by anyone lets not forget Timothy McVeigh or Ted Kaczynski.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Which race would it be that's the only one that does terrorism? Were this guy and this guy not terrorists? What about this?
    The only one from the past 10 years is the sniper.

"Muhammad joined the Nation of Islam in 1987 and later changed his surname to Muhammad."

Links from the 90's when we have terrorism on a weekly basis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Wi...emple_shooting

10+ Year Old Account
    Prejudging happens. Muttering under your breath happens. Under pressure, it happens even more. We, as a society, have become more social and open about the simplest of matters and opinions to complete strangers than in the history of ever, and we're open about it - however, I'd like to make it fairly clear that there are those who say or write the first thing that comes to mind, and those who also like to be constructive about what they say. Myself, I re-read what I put so that i) I understand it, ii) it's the point I want to make across and iii) it doesn't come off cynical or misunderstood. Unfortunately, it still happens, but we all interpret each sentence in our own way.

So OT - Racism? Yeah, anything as such or stereotypes, sexism, all that stuff isn't necessarily good.. but that doesn't mean as a whole you're a bad person. Perhaps you're misunderstood, or misguided from what you've seen or witnessed. Every race, gender, age, etc has its bad eggs.. and yes, some more than others.. and if things like the media are in some form racist, sexist, etc. it tends to spread out. Some are easily manipulated, some just don't understand or know any better. We're being thrown words at us from all sides these days and opinions on the internet have spread like wildfires in recent years. I remember a time when the internet was a matter of sharing the simple things and not asking for ideas and thoughts from random strangers. I try not to spread myself too thin under these circumstances - I have my own hide to take care of and a loved one. You don't have to be nice to all of society - but you don't have to hate or lash out either. You can just... be.

Understand - some can take serious amounts of social pressure. Some can't. Above all else, the world these days is making some serious changes to what's acceptable and what's not. Does that make people dumb? Possibly.. but it's no more stupid than not knowing the earth has more than one moon. Just get informed, being dumb isn't a terrible thing.. being stubborn and thinking you're right, however, is.

No actually it is not such a big deal. If you stop and think about it everything exists for a reason, so racism must exist for some underlining potentially good reason. I have no idea what that reason is, but I am sure there is one somewhere hidden deep within the question.

"Muhammad joined the Nation of Islam in 1987 and later changed his surname to Muhammad."

Links from the 90's when we have terrorism on a weekly basis?
    It is perspective because there are people in the middle east that thinks what America is doing is a terrorist act. And the fact that America helped to train the very people we are fighting right now. If we look back through history at what races has committed the worst criminal acts what race would we find?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    If we look back through history at what races has committed the worst criminal acts what race would we find?
    I'd go with Japanese, but you could make a case for a lot of different groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    "Races more prone to violence and drugs" listen to you. It couldnt possibly have anything to do with the society they live in or are forced into.
    You know that for some races , they had that option and chose to keep things as they were , yes , there might be exceptions , but when 80%+ of the population from that race behaves the same then I guess it isn't really racism . If you still want to go down this line I will send you a lot of examples .

You get called racist for everything these days.

I'd go with Japanese, but you could make a case for a lot of different groups.
    Modern history? Probably.

People are all racist in one way or a another. Generalization and talking down of others who dont agree with your opinion or agenda is labeled as ignorant among other things. Saying racism is judging people also, so the same right that you use to call people stupid is the same right he has to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by wvx View Post
    You know that for some races , they had that option and chose to keep things as they were , yes , there might be exceptions , but when 80%+ of the population from that race behaves the same then I guess it isn't really racism . If you still want to go down this line I will send you a lot of examples .
    Oh, I'm sure that would be quite edifying...

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Modern history? Probably.
    Yeah, as soon as we get deeper into history, it becomes unfathomable to even pick a single group. Human history has an endless number of contrivances to do nothing other than hurt people terribly, and they're sure as hell not geographically isolated.

I was thinking 20th century. Germany, China, the USSR, and Cambodia all have pretty good claims though.

Vs something on a daily/weekly basis. Are you really saying there are an equal number of terrorist attacks from both sides? Since the IRA went under, its been one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but if you're going to cite facts, make sure your facts are right because in this case, you are quite incorrect.

"Firearm homicide is the leading cause of death for African Americans ages 1-44.1

African Americans make up nearly 13% of the U.S. population, but in 2009 suffered almost 24% of all firearm deaths – and over 54% of all firearm homicides."

Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED), at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_lcd.html (last visited Mar. 8, 2012) (hereinafter WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009; Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]
    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (Sept. 2011), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]

In addition, so far this thread has been surprisingly reasonable, and therefore, I see why it isn't locked. No one is spewing hate, even the biased members are being calm and reasonable in their discussion.

I'm impressed MMO-C community, I'm impressed.
    this is a prime example of the kind of statistics I was talking about, they are taken out of context and used to justify the view that Races are relevant Factors when predicting human behavior.

when facts like this are used alone without the large quantity of other statistics available in the research they become useless and actually help promote ignorance and prejudice rather than understanding and knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes~

On a serious note though, I think racism would less of a big deal if everyone calmed their tits and stopped using it as an excuse.

Vs something on a daily/weekly basis. Are you really saying there are an equal number of terrorist attacks from both sides? Since the IRA went under, its been one sided.
    There's almost no terror attacks in the US at all, the ones that do happen are a weird scattering of various types.

There's no such thing as "terrorism" in active warzones, that's just a term that's used to make enemies look bad. If a US soldier in Afghanistan is killed, that's not terrorism, it's war.

Deleted
    I was thinking 20th century. Germany, China, the USSR, and Cambodia all have pretty good claims though.
    Two nukes on cities full of civilians put the US right in there as well imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being racist is a big deal. It means you view other races below you or above you because of the color of their skin or where they're from. This is idiotic and ignorant. And when you say "Some races are more prone to violence, drugs, or general mayhem", you're completely wrong. That's because of issues of the society they live in; Are they employed? Are they living in a ghetto? What's their home life like? What's their income? Are they poor, middle class, or wealthy? Are they in school and if so are there options for doing things outside of school like sports? Etc. It has nothing to do with race.

If I cut you open and looked at your insides you'd be nearly exactly same as someone who was born somewhere else and has a different skin color than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Two nukes on cities full of civilians put the US right in there as well imo.
    Not even in the ballpark, really. In other centuries it might, but in a century with the Rape of Nanking, the Holocaust, and the Killing Fields, the nukes seem like a humane action by comparison.

I understand the impulse to say the US was just as bad as Germany in World War II, but it ain't so.

Deleted
    I understand the impulse to say the US was just as bad as Germany in World War II, but it ain't so.
    Oh, not as bad, don't get me wrong. But it takes a special kind of person to nuke innocents.