Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I disagree; scientific racism. Technically speaking, you can rationalise almost anything.
    I don't see how you've actually addressed what I said. Just because you can call something rational doesn't mean it is so.

I disagree; scientific racism. Technically speaking, you can rationalise almost anything.
    One of the few times I agree with Wells. If a certain race happens to have more of A than B, then it's just a fact. Saying Mexicans are more likely to be born with dark-colored hair isn't racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see how you've actually addressed what I said. Just because you can call something rational doesn't mean it is so.
    I meant in that it is possible to be both 'rational' and racist'. The delineating factor as to whether it is racist is whether or not one believes in inherent inferiority by virtue of the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    You know that what you are saying is a statically impossible right? There are more white people than blacks and white people do murder people so therefore white people commit the most murders. In fact a white person has a higher chance of being murdered by another white person than they do a black person.

And what is with the obsession that some non-blacks have with being able to call black people "nigga". The word is not positive and just because some black use it in a positive way does not mean that all black people see it as a positive word.
    1.) Just because you have (yea example numbers) 100 white people and 50 black people... are you really dumb enough to think you can't only have 1 white person murder someone, but 2 black people making black people statistically commit more murder than white people?

2.) It's not an obsession, it's the fact that black people (as a whole) are apt to use the work brotha, nigga, etc to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    One of the few times I agree with Wells. If a certain race happens to have more of A than B, then it's just a fact. Saying Mexicans are more likely to be born with dark-colored hair isn't racist.
    A lot of people will mix up recognizing statistical fact with racism, which I think hinges largely on how that data is extrapolated.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those right wing people who place the reverse racism card any time someone calls them on their shit.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 01:45 AM ----------

I meant in that it is possible to be both 'rational' and racist'. The delineating factor as to whether it is racist is whether or not one believes in inherent inferiority by virtue of the race.
    But if we're talking about culture we have to acknowledge that we're talking about a system and that not all systems will perform the same.

That is not racist but saying that Mexicans are more likely to be violent and steal is. What people are doing is looking at only one factor, race, and making a judgement based on that. In most cases it is just simply that poor people are more likely to be violent and steal, it has nothing to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    1.) Just because you have (yea example numbers) 100 white people and 50 black people... are you really dumb enough to think you can't only have 1 white person murder someone, but 2 black people making black people statistically commit more murder than white people?

2.) It's not an obsession, it's the fact that black people (as a whole) are apt to use the work brotha, nigga, etc to each other.
    No, but you seem dumb enough to believe that out of 100 white people only one will commit murder. But if we go by statics white people are more likely to commit mass murder so while the two black people may just kill a person each the one white person may kill 10.

And what is the problem with that? Is it a problem because you cannot call a black person that? The big difference is when a black person calls another black person that both of them are "niggas" when a white person calls a black person that only one person is a "nigga". I bet you would like a black person calling you "white boy" or "white bread" as a greeting.
    Last edited by Ebildays; 2013-01-28 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A lot of people will mix up recognizing statistical fact with racism, which I think hinges largely on how that data is extrapolated.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those right wing people who place the reverse racism card any time someone calls them on their shit.
    I don't believe in the race card as I don't give a shit what color a person is. If you want to do business, great.

That is not racist but saying that Mexicans are more likely to be violent and steal is. What people are doing is looking at only one factor, race, and making a judgement based on that. In most cases it is just simply that poor people are more likely to be violent and steal, it has nothing to do with race.
    What about a combo that would say poor hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white?

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    To paraphrase; "Don't be racistist, guys! You can't judge all racists based on the behaviour of other racists! Not all racists act that way -- we're individuals, you racistists!".

NO. It's already bad enough that you just "accept" it rather than think about why it's bad and try changing your ways, but now you're complaining about being a poor victim racist, oppressed by those evil intolerant tolerant people? I don't care if you're a seventh level racist or have a bachelors in racism or whatever other "degree" you think you are; if you're a racist, you're an idiot and should be ashamed of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I wonder what the number of casualties would of been had we invaded Japan. Mass civilian suicides (better than the evil U.S. Marines to get a hold of you), wave after wave of banzai attacks. Starvation, disease.
    Just wonder what history teachers would tell you about the two nukes if Japan had won the war...
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I think a lot of people confuse racists with assholes. Some people are just assholes, and they come in all colors, shapes and sizes.(and they are plentiful) I remember a discussion back when I was in the Army, my roommate(who was of a different race than I) was saying so and so treated him badly and must be a racist and I was telling him that he was an asshole to everyone so I didn't think race was playing a part in it. Some people are just assholes and they will use whatever word(yes even the "N" word) or action that will piss you off the most.

Also @ the comment above concerning the "white bread" comment, it would make me chuckle. My friends and I would joke around all the time and swear and call each other names, white bread and cracker are not really offensive and always made me laugh more than anything, but when coming back with something the "N" word was off the table because chances are you are really going to offend someone. Not to mention the more err... creative names we called each other were more amusing anyway.

Deleted
    There is racism and there is racism

One if the ignorant, hating kind which is bad no matter how you look at it.

The other is the political correctness thing and ignoring the elephant in the room. If statistics say this or that race on average commits more crimes or is smarter or makes better athletes then it's a fact and needs to be said and accepted. It doesn't mean that all the members of the race have that trait, it's just that they are more likely to have it than others.

What about a combo that would say poor hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white?
    Ah, then I would look at the stats on that. Because it may be true that poor Hispanics commit certain crimes more than poor whites, while poor whites may commit certain crimes more than poor Hispanics.

But I would not make a blanket statement saying that poor Hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white.
    Last edited by Ebildays; 2013-01-28 at 02:33 AM.

QUOTE=Rocko9;20007076]Ah, then I would look at the stats on that. Because it may be true that poor Hispanics commit certain crimes more than poor whites, while poor whites may commit certain crimes more than poor Hispanics.

But I would not make a blanket statement saying that poor Hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white.
    Was using as an example, don't know if it is actually true

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Also @ the comment above concerning the "white bread" comment, it would make me chuckle. My friends and I would joke around all the time and swear and call each other names, white bread and cracker are not really offensive and always made me laugh more than anything, but when coming back with something the "N" word was off the table because chances are you are really going to offend someone. Not to mention the more err... creative names we called each other were more amusing anyway.
    Because the N word is from a time of slavery. It's not a random funny word, it's a word used to describe slaves. To make sure they are not real humans in the eyes of society. More like a farm animal with no human rights. That's why that word is very hurtful even today. I could care less if someone called me "white" "cracker" or something like that. It has no history, no meaning. But I get offended if someone calls me a Nazi just because I was born in Germany. My father was 8 years old at the end of the war and still the "Germans=Nazi" comes up every time. As much as I hate to be labeled as someone who did mass murder I can understand how hurtful it must be for afro americans to be called "subhuman slave" with the n-word.

I hope you understand my point. If not, maybe if someone would call you an American Native Murderer because you are white and live in the US. You would defend yourself and try to explain that this was not done by you, your parents or even your grandparents and you would get upset if people would continue to call you a murderer. I hope I could explain the point in my crappy english
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    Here's the distinction. A person can acknowledge, for example, that a higher percentage of people of certain races get put in jail for certain crimes. This in and of itself is not racism. It is racism, however, to 1) say a person of certain race is inherently inferior or somehow destined to have this fate, or 2) completely ignore real life factors that cause these statistics. ie, it's highly doubtful that skin colour is tied to moral behavior. However, how culture treats people with certain skin colour likely has a far larger impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Because the N word is from a time of slavery. It's not a random funny word, it's a word used to describe slaves. To make sure they are not real humans in the eyes of society. More like a farm animal with no human rights. That's why that word is very hurtful even today. I could care less if someone called me "white" "cracker" or something like that. It has no history, no meaning. But I get offended if someone calls me a Nazi just because I was born in Germany. My father was 8 years old at the end of the war and still the "Germans=Nazi" comes up every time. As much as I hate to be labeled as someone who did mass murder I can understand how hurtful it must be for afro americans to be called "subhuman slave" with the n-word.

I hope you understand my point. If not, maybe if someone would call you an American Native Murderer because you are white and live in the US. You would defend yourself and try to explain that this was not done by you, your parents or even your grandparents and you would get upset if people would continue to call you a murderer. I hope I could explain the point in my crappy english
    Lol your English is fine. Also I'm wondering if you meant to reply to the person I replied to, because that is pretty much the same thing I was saying only longer. White bread and cracker are not offensive. Where as the "N" word is. Me personally though, I doubt there is a word/name you could offend me with, to me it isn't so much the words as the intent behind the words I find offensive(or not offensive).

Was using as an example, don't know if it is actually true
    I don't think I got my point across, I was saying what I would do in the case of your example. I did not think you were saying those were your thoughts.

I don't think I got my point across, I was saying what I would do in the case of your example. I did not think you were saying those were your thoughts.
    Yeah, I got the point, just wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally waste your time looking something up.

Deleted
    I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    Yeah, you are not in the moral cathegory of genocide or slavery. You are just in the moral cathegory of creationism or climate denialism. The cathegory of being freely and conscientiously wrong despite the evidence.

I doubt it'll ever just conveniently go away, judging people with stereotypes isn't going anywhere. The best we can do is defy the stereotypes, and thus encourage the people to stop teaching the racism to their children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.