Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Honestly, I can see what he's TRYING to do.

he's trying to render all defence of the subject invalid by getting people to believe that those defending it are part of the problem.

Now all we have to do is wait and see how many retards eat up his bullshit.

Deleted
    Rip him apart in a thousand pieces and feed it to Khorne.

Interesting that a politician talks about 'gamer's lust for violence and the industry's greed for money'. The latter he is an expert at spotting, since he himself is an American politician and knows a thing or two about greed. And he only attacks 'lust for violence' because his lust happens to be something else.

Deleted
    IF the premise is that gamers have a "lust" for violence, that gaming is an addiction, a compulsion, something that we can't control because we "need", and so on, then he has a point. In that situation, gamers would not have a valid input because they are bias.

Fact is, we know his premise is wrong because (at least the majority of us), are normal people who enjoy gaming as an entertainment form. If his premise is wrong, his whole argument falls away. The trouble is convincing these people that we are not like some drug addicts being affected by a problem, but just the same as people who enjoy watching tv or movies or going out to a bar or watching a sports game or just about any other form of entertainment - all of which can have activities that are suitable for adults only, all of which can have a bad influence or poor consequences for certain people/certain situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    IF the premise is that gamers have a "lust" for violence, that gaming is an addiction, a compulsion, something that we can't control because we "need", and so on, then he has a point. In that situation, gamers would not have a valid input because they are bias.

Fact is, we know his premise is wrong because (at least the majority of us), are normal people who enjoy gaming as an entertainment form. If his premise is wrong, his whole argument falls away. The trouble is convincing these people that we are not like some drug addicts being affected by a problem, but just the same as people who enjoy watching tv or movies or going out to a bar or watching a sports game or just about any other form of entertainment - all of which can have activities that are suitable for adults only, all of which can have a bad influence or poor consequences for certain people/certain situations.
    I...
    need...
    MOAR GAMES. MOOAARR VIOLLEENNCEEE RAAWWRRRR.

One issue has always been the uneducated follows what 'sounds nice' instead of educating themselves on the subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I...
    need...
    MOAR GAMES. MOOAARR VIOLLEENNCEEE RAAWWRRRR.

One issue has always been the uneducated follows what 'sounds nice' instead of educating themselves on the subject.
    This isn't a matter of educating yourself, it's a matter of logic. Blaming every shooting on video games is illogical, especially when the people involved have much deeper issues than that.

Also, ask anyone (like myself) who has ever worked for Gamestop (or any similar stores, if any exist), and they'll all tell you the same thing. 999 times out of 1000, young kids get hold of M-rated games because the parent buys it for them anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    This isn't a matter of educating yourself, it's a matter of logic. Blaming every shooting on video games is illogical, especially when the people involved have much deeper issues than that.

Also, ask anyone (like myself) who has ever worked for Gamestop (or any similar stores, if any exist), and they'll all tell you the same thing. 999 times out of 1000, young kids get hold of M-rated games because the parent buys it for them anyway.
    Some people don't think that far though, in that people who already are mentally unstable, are well... mentally unstable. It's easier to blame on a tangible item than it is to blame on a mental illness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

I don't think he realizes that someone like him who's never played a game in his life is the one that really has no say in this matter.
    So true.

The media and people like this are so full of shit, of course not just in the US.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    This dude believes serving in the army is honourable, but thinks video games have a harmful effect on people? Please. Only one of those encourages violence and trains you to kill, and it sure as shit ain't video games.
    Seriously... what a hypocrite.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    rip him apart in a thousand pieces and feed it to khorne.
    down boy down!

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Sorry to break it to you, but this is the twenty-first century. Parents are NEVER to blame, parents are saints and do nothing but the best for their children... *cough*

It saddens me that people this man is actually in a position to try and make his unfounded ideals a reality. It doesn't even make sense from ANY standpoint. When has a video game ever been proven to be the cause of violence?

The only time something like it occurs is when someone goes crazy, kills a few people, police search their house and finds a video game. Then, the entire report is how, "This man had (insert T to M rated game here) in their home, that must be a big factor." It's completely stupid because, how many people wouldn't actually have a video game in their home in this day and age? Unless their near their sixties without grandchildren.

Hell, from what I've seen, books and movies have been a bigger cause to violence than video games. (i.e. Reagan and Lennon)
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Boooo! If video games led to violence i would have beaten his face in with a shovel by now. The only thing this proves it that video games lead to laziness.

Also, i would like to know what video games Atilla the Hun was playing that spurred him on to collapse the Roman Empire. That must have been a really good one. Or what video games the catholic church was playing when they started the Inquisition. I'm sure the Nazis had some great video games to inspire them.

Dumbasses...

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Lust.. for violence.. too strong.. must kill.. everyone..

.. right after this game of LoL .
    Depending on where you live, your post may be really risky .. That smilyface looks cold and detached.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Also, i would like to know what video games Atilla the Hun was playing that spurred him on to collapse the Roman Empire. That must have been a really good one. Or what video games the catholic church was playing when they started the Inquisition. I'm sure the Nazis had some great video games to inspire them.

Dumbasses...
    I know you're being sarcastic, they obviously weren't playing games, at least not on consoles. They were, however, probably inspired by other things. The farther back we go, the more 'literature' becomes the dominant source of inspiration. Some games may inspire violence in especially disturbed people, but they do so the same way a movie, song, or poem would. Games are just another medium for delivering a message or experience. This guy Yee doesn't seem to understand that. For some reason he's focusing only on games. If he wants to regulate gaming, he must first regulate 'language'. To do so he would have to go directly for the freedom of speech act, not that i'd want him to. He needs to start thinking outside the box or something, but it's too late for him I guess.
    Last edited by Basemath; 2013-01-27 at 06:38 PM.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Probably after a bad game of LoL, :P
    Remind me why hes a senator again?
    If the argument of those that are involved and directly defending themselves have no credence, then he has no credence in defending his stand point. Delicious double standard. Maybe they'll go back to music and movies again.
    He's been a senator for one term already, so people voted him back in because they figured, "well, we elected him once, so he must do something right" That's what incumbency does. That and he probably made a bunch of empty promises like all politicians do. I imagine parents like him because he tells them that it's not the fault of their poor parenting that their kids are picking fights at school and may grow up to be a serial killer, it's video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    "You people that we are blaming, stop defending yourself!" What a great argument. Asshole.
    Well, he's a child psychologist, so he obviously understands the effects violent video games have on people far more than the people who've actually lived it. /sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    Depending on where you live, your post may be really risky .. That smilyface looks cold and detached.
    It's the face I use when I'm making the voices stop but they never stop .

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    It's the face I use when I'm making the voices stop but they never stop .

hehe
    Haha that sent chills up my spine. You are really pushing your luck!
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

I'm so angry I'm going to physically harm this guy in person.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm tired of getting angry, upset or otherwise put out over news like this.

So instead, I choose to laugh at the idiots saying the "video games cause violent behavior," or anything of the like.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

“Gamers have got to just quiet down[...] Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest.”

I like his way of arguing.

Claim opposition has no credibility, proceed to show no evidence of this claim. Instead proceed with a conspiracy theory.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I saw this clown at my train station handing out pamphlets once for some kind of city election. Resisted the urge to say anything trollish, as it was just around the time where he tried to get that ridiculous bill that made selling M games a crime to a minor.

Deleted
    Just because this article is related and hillarious, I'll drop it here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...t-Crime-in-U-S

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Seriously... what a hypocrite.
    Can't tell if you were calling me a hypocrite, or Leland, but I'll defend myself anyway, just in case.

What exactly is hypocritical about what I said? Yes, I drew attention to him stating that one activity is fine, and the other has harmful effects, and did this by doing the same, but in order for it to be hypocritical, my statement would have to be based on an (incorrect) opinion like his was. My statement was based on fact. Armies exist to solve problems with violence, and in the army you are trained to kill. Not only that, but there is actual evidence that active military service can have extremely negative psychological effects on people.