Poll: Would you like to see second names added to WoW?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Second Names in WoW, Yes or no?

So you are on the character screen, you've made your new toon look exactly how you like, and now it's time to name it, but what do you call it?

Most of the things you would really like to call your character are taken by other people, and that's no surprise with a huge playerbase like WoW's, so you either settle for something thrown together because you don't care, or if you are like me, you spend a long time sitting, looking through the internet at names of characters from movies, books, or other games, or even mythology.

This is where I think second names could really make the naming process quite a bit more interesting. The first place I saw this was GW2, although I don't doubt other games let you have a space in your name. I was able to name my character pretty much whatever I wanted, so long as I could find a last name that would fit with it, I liked this, I made about 5 characters and I was thoroughly happy with their named every time I made one.

Why couldn't this be added to WoW? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to fashion a second name for their character, or perhaps now would be able to use the first name they would have liked but with a different second name.

Here's a summary of what I think would be the pros and cons
    Pros
    - Adds more options for naming your character
    - Allows role players or those really invested in their characters to feel more connected to their characters maybe? Nice to show off your awesome name to others too

Cons
    - Makes way for some names that could end up being rude or stupid
    - Names might become too long especially with titles

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this or do you think it is unnecesary?

Edit: Poll is up!
    Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2013-01-27 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if not second names, definitely more character allowance. at least up to 15 or even 18 characters.

Seems pretty minor.

hmm not sure it's needed... though would be cool for gnomes as they all have specific surnames in lore related to who they are/what they do, so would be cool if they had one chosen or could choose one.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Seems pretty minor.
    It is a minor thing yes, but that also means its not a lot of trouble to add in, at least I don't think it is. I would like this if it was ever implemented, just wondering who else would

sounds cool but not enough for blizzard to put time into imo
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see it happening but it'd be nice. I dabble on a RP server sometimes and use an addon there that lets me give all my characters last names, and in the back of my mind all of my characters sorta have last names anyway. I know that when I played gw2, being able to add a last name was so awesome to me. A character of mine I like to kinda make a lot is named Raven Skyhawk but in wow I'd have to run it all together and its a bit long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    if not second names, definitely more character allowance. at least up to 15 or even 18 characters.
    I can't think of a single reason why you would need such a long name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veysa View Post
    I can't think of a single reason why you would need such a long name.
    that's because you lack imagination.

I would love to be able to add a second name onto my characters, but seriously, coming up with just a single name is hard enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclejesse
    I'm not very nice and think I will stay away from the forums for a week to calm down
    (Note: This post might have been edited by Boubouille)
    My characters Bintah and Alicia

I'm for it. I can't even type my characters name (my current keyboard doesn't allow for Alt characters). The name I wanted is taken by a toon that hasn't been active in years and is on a toon that never hit lv10....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diabloss View Post
    I would love to be able to add a second name onto my characters, but seriously, coming up with just a single name is hard enough!
    that's because single names are usually taken. now imagine putting in a second name. now it's easier to name your toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I'm for it. I can't even type my characters name (my current keyboard doesn't allow for Alt characters). The name I wanted is taken by a toon that hasn't been active in years and is on a toon that never hit lv10....
    You can make a GM ticket and if possible they'll free the name, if it's really as inactive as you say. When I migrated all my names were taken, but a quick GM ticket freed all but 1 of my previous names.
    "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Yes. Worked out for other games that have done it. It is also something I know meany RPers want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the length of names would be an annoyance to me, more so then people's tendency to make absurc or bad names. Also, people in online communities allready have a tendency to shorten any name down to 1 or 2 syllables, I think this is a step in the opposite direction and wouldn't work well in that regard.

The best part of WoW IMO are seeing the hilarious names people come up with for their character, especially tauren and pandaren.

Nothing throws me off guard in PvP more than when someone with a rib-splitting name like Legendairy or Pandaids comes and hits you.

Deleted
    If it's limited to one space then sure, I think that would be interesting. I just don't want to see names such as "Y O L O S W A G".

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    And the use of SPACE.

Baldur's Gate from 1996 Lets you use 18 characters for your name, including SPACE.

15 would suffice. I keep coming up with badass names but they have 13 or 14 characters to the name so I cant use it.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-01-27 at 06:30 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GameFreakRPG View Post
    If it's limited to one space then sure, I think that would be interesting. I just don't want to see names such as "Y O L O S W A G".
    Yes, I will clarify that I meant the suggestion to be limited to one space, so that you have two parts to your name (if you desire)

bleh. do you ever use both a person's names when talking to them? that would be weird.