Thread: Comp too old?

Deleted

Comp too old?

So here's the deal; as of MoP my computer started to mini freeze at times in raids or bgs, with those freezes being no longer than 1 or 2 secs and not really often. Recently it started to become worse and I'd say they come at least once every 5 minutes starting to annoy me. What I'm wondering is if its due to my old PC ( prebuild, Q6600, HD 3870, 3GB ram) or if its some problem with wow, installation folders being loaded or something. I'm basically playing on custom low (only view distance on ultra since that doesnt matter so much in instances) setting since MoP, knowing that the exp brought higher system requirements.

A side note as to how bad shit's getting, whenever I or another person uses the hunter ability stampede it freezes from 1 sec (solo) to i believe 5 secs+ in LFR. Short version: Time to get a new machine?

10+ Year Old Account
    you're probably out of RAM, but the Q6600 is aged, and the HD3870 is very weak for a GPU anymore

yes it is time for a new machine

If the problem wasn't bad at the beginning of MoP, it probably not your computer as a whole (eventhough it's pretty old). If WoW is the only game where you experience problems I would try to remove the WTF folder and Cache folder as a beginning. If that doesn't help my next question would be if you've tried to reformat and reinstall Windows.

Is the problem persistent if you change 32 / 64 bit WoW?

Z.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice, before actually deleting my whole addon setup I simply disabled all addons first and -oh wonder- it worked without the freezes (what i didnt mention before it actually freezes even when i mount/ dismount, fly high up etc all those things). So I simply enabled all addons one by one and narrowed it down to being Omen... an addon which in my opinion has no use anymore since cata and thus I'm not using it anyway but it was still installed and enabled.
    Could've tried that before asking here, but oh well sometimes its as simple as that. I'm happy again.
    Last edited by mmoc68f6fd776e; 2013-01-27 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrading the RAM and GPU would be a decent stop-gap measure, and wouldn't break the bank.

This article is all about adding a new GPU to a system with your exact CPU, and the sort of results they get from it: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Can-A...d-Gaming-Rig-/

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as it might be nice to upgrade... I ran WoW just fine on a system that really wasn't any better (E7500, 2gb ram, GeForce 7800) on Good settings. It sounds like there's something wrong, and not a power problem.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you're probably out of RAM, but the Q6600 is aged, and the HD3870 is very weak for a GPU anymore

yes it is time for a new machine
    Sometimes I ask myself. Why would someone go with a setup like yourself? It's a bit off topic but still, I just want to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I just want to know.
    Because its not a bad system? Some people can play games on not-ultra.

Deleted
    Yes you are right though, I probably can run WoW on higher settings because as I said, I had those freezes/stutters and frankly ever since MoP didnt use a single Stampede without freezing. Also as I said it kept freezing for a second or so whenever I mounted/dismounted, summoned/dismissed pets (probably many more things, but cant remember them now). To think this was just due to one addon (thats badly coded or what?!) and not really my hardware makes me feel really dumb I didnt discover/fix this earlier.

Actually if you go to curse.com and search for Omen there are tons of complaints about this issue. Newest comment quoted:

OK, so I am glad (not really glad for those like me per say) I am not the only one experiencing crashes, freezes and overall inconstant gameplay with this version of omen. How do I know its omen, its because I re-downloaded WOW 3x thinking it wasn't omen, only come to find out it is.[...]
    Conclusion: Pay attention to what addons you actually use and really need.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to say I had a Q6600 and GTX 260 set up until last week when I did my first ever self build. And that worked fine in WoW for majority of it, on good settings. Although. Did have the CPU overclocked to about 3.4ghz. So as others have already said, could be an issue elsewhere!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because its not a bad system? Some people can play games on not-ultra.
    You got it wrong im takling about the guy with quad 690 and 3960x

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    You got it wrong im takling about the guy with quad 690 and 3960x
    i have my reasons, but the simplest is 'why not?'

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i have my reasons, but the simplest is 'why not?'
    He asked an innocent enough question and you want to be a douche about it? Obviously "why not" for you is going to be different than "why not" for him...Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your signature if you can't be bothered with questions pointing to it?

But based on your response, the most likely answer is because it looks good on a forum signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    He asked an innocent enough question and you want to be a douche about it? Obviously "why not" for you is going to be different than "why not" for him...Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your signature if you can't be bothered with questions pointing to it?

But based on your response, the most likely answer is because it looks good on a forum signature.
    im not being a douche, this is off topic from the original post, if he really wants to know, he can pm me

Deleted
    Buy a new one, i had a even worse one. Upgrade old computer is not worth it. might as well take the time and money to invest in a good one now, then to try to fix your sinking boat.