Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i always chose the hardest difficulty the game offers. My reasoning is the following.

I can only see the true potential of the game at its hardest difficulty. I don't want to beat the game in just a few hours, breezing through it at easy mode. I want the game to earn the progression and the story telling. It doesn't matter if it takes 3 month to finish a games, because i don't have the time to play often, when i do find the time to play, i want a true gaming experience, with a game requiring the best of me.

An example. I recently finished dead space, the first one. Obviously, i did chose the hardest difficulty the game offer on first playthrough. And i did not regret it. I was really a survival horror. Enemy took quite a beating to die, and i could die in 3 hit, so each encounter was truly frightening, i could die just right there. My ammo and med pack count always low, because i use so many to progress, and i was always scared tu run out of ammo. I tried to dabble in easy mode after i finish the game, enemy were so weak, they were never frightening, the game lost its very essence, the feeling you could die at any time, felt like a generic shooter, no emotion.

So yes, i like danger and i like difficulty.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh I personally don't like it like I think the only ''easy'' mode I went was into Dead space II after destroying the other difficulties I wanted to mess around other then that I actually do want a challenge from time to time anyway unless it involves a giant spear guy and fat guy with a g-dam hammer well then I'm just going to gouge my eyes out.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    And yea, I usually go for the story also but not rushing through it all makes the story so much better. I get to see the side quests, read the ingame books, talk to NPCs.. but more importantly good AAA games I actually want to play are so rare that if I find one, I want it to last.

dude...i could have said it any better. You have it all pack in that sentence. I would only add, not only the story and the game i don't want to rush, but the atmosphere and spirit of the game i don't want to miss, if the game world is good, i wat to stay as long as i can in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll always pick Normal mode on genres I'm skilled at then play on a harder difficulty the next playthrough. I like to think that Normal Mode is the true experience the developers wanted you to have, plus I personally like to be challenged a bit when I play a new game. I always try to see if I can beat a game on Normal for the first time without dying (With limited success).

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a few total war campaigns on easy or medium out of nostalgia/ boredom sometimes.
    On hard/very hard sp campaigns you are just burdened economically while the AI gets gets stat bonuses (varies on what mod im toying with).
    The bottom line is that it just makes the early start-up phase of your empire really slow and time-consuming, you have to play every single little skirmish and micromanage every settlement ect. I much more prefer to just jump right out into the "mid-game".

As contradictory as this may sound I was actually one of the best rome/barbarian invasion players online (if not the best).
    If I played against a tw player that just played singleplayer I would not lose, what difficulty he played on would not even factor in.
    He would just not have the same baggage as me It would take him 3-4 years of playing human opponents at a high level to have a chance at beating me.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    unless it involves a giant spear guy and fat guy with a g-dam hammer well then I'm just going to gouge my eyes out.
    Aw, come on now, they're just a couple of pushovers! It only took me 5 straight hours to kill them the first time!

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll play a game on easy if it has some particularly annoying battle mechanics. Also, sometimes you just get in a mood to faceroll stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never play on easy, ever. I always start the hardest difficulty, and if you cant start on the hardest, then i'll play the hardest difficulty to choose from. (Finishing that difficulty would then unlock the harder one)

Everyone is different. A video game is meant to be FUN. If you are not enjoying yourself then you should change how difficult it is. How difficult one game is does not mean it will make it less fun if its on easy. Some like me are solely interested in the story and I would easily skip most combat if I could get to the interactive choices. Majority of people love to boast about playing on hardest but it's really on how much fun you're having

Once I got Deus Ex: HR, I accidentally put it on easy mode (it's called "Story mode" or something, so I thought it'd just be with all the cinematics). The story was so good that I did not regret the choice. But generally I play games on normal mode. More often than not the "hard" modes achieve high difficulty by taking out helpful and useful features, and that I don't like.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I was starting out gaming I couldn't live without the Easy setting.. everything was complicated enough for me to make it even harder for myself..

I even had games I couldn't finish at easiest setting:

NFS Underground's last few races, possibly due to uneducated and generally poor car choice. Couldn't even do with cheats.

Warcraft 3's last campaign, the Hyjal battle.. yet again, couldn't even do it with cheats.

So, easy setting is good.. if you want to ramp things up, okay, but let other people see the game as well. :P
    "Maybe we wouldn't keep getting hurt if we just expected the worst.."

"Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy. Sometimes, it simply means you are a strong person"

Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    How do you guys feel about playing games on easy?

I was always against it, and figured if I can't handle normal difficulty in a game, it wasn't for me, or I would tough it out over the course of several weeks, but as I've gotten much older, I'm starting to think certain games might be worth it to start I easy, just so I can see the main story, which is the main reason I play games.

I have yet to start a game on the easiest setting, but it's something I'm really considering, especially given my huge backlog of games just collecting dust since I dot have time to play them all anymore. Doing them on easy will help me burn through my backlog considerably faster than before.
    I honestly think it depends on the type of game for me really. For example, I always have the habit of playing the COD campaigns on the default settings cause I want to enjoy the story and I'll come back later in a month or two and ramp up the difficulty.

Even in Skyrim, I started on the default setting and worked my way up once I was familiar with the combat system.

I wouldn't say I play it on the "easiest" setting. I usually have it on the setting the game was intended to be enjoyed by the developers. So you will usually have Novice > Easy > Normal > Hard > Hardcore.

Even when I use to play Fifa they had a bunch of different settings.

Depends on the game & the person

When i was younger i found playing super mario "hard", somewhat still do and yet i find demon souls & dark souls easy

Someones "easy" is someone elses "hard"

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually play games on the lowest difficult possible where I'm still eligible for achievements (i.e. Halo games only have achievements for Normal and up, not easy.) Plus, some games like Fallout 3 fucking suck on the highest difficulty. I don't want to pump 20 bullets into a freaking radroach just to kill it (hyperbole I know). Although other games are too easy on the lowest difficulty to where they provide no challenge. Basically I play on the difficult where I get close to dying several times, but never actually die.

If I enjoy a game, I will play it on the highest difficulty on the second playthrough. Although, that is mostly for achievement purposes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just want a game that gives me something to focus on. The harder difficulties make me pay more attention to what's going on and get creative. I get really lazy when playing something on easy, to the point where it can feel like a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Everyone is different. A video game is meant to be FUN. If you are not enjoying yourself then you should change how difficult it is. How difficult one game is does not mean it will make it less fun if its on easy. Some like me are solely interested in the story and I would easily skip most combat if I could get to the interactive choices. Majority of people love to boast about playing on hardest but it's really on how much fun you're having
    I generally like playing on the hardest setting, but I don't think there should be any achievements for doing so. It's not about bragging rights but about the game world you want to exist in (whatever the difficulty that is for you). The game worlds that intrigue me are ones with danger and severe consequences, where the threat of defeat is real. If I am playing a stealth game, I want to use the shadows because my character shouldn't be a one man army (Assassin's Creed, I'm glaring at you).Sandbox games especially are the ones I want difficult. I want a game like Fallout to be unforgiving. The wasteland is a rough place and I want to feel like I'm there. I find a harder game to generally be more immersive. It's not a playground where I can't lose. It's a real world where bad things can happen.

Another reason for me is that a lot of games do a wonderful job giving you a deep skill set to rely on and it gives me pleasure when I have to fully utilize the skills given to me to succeed. Kingdom of Amalur is a good example of a game that had a lot going on as far as skill trees and abilities but regardless of difficulty was a cake walk (even if you didn't craft) to the point where having all that depth didn't matter. Ideally you would use your abilities to seamlessly control the battlefield, but what's the point if you really can't get hurt? Why block or dodge if getting hit doesn't sting? Why use combos or abilities when button mashing is just as effective?
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-01-28 at 04:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Default setting usually. But sometimes or some genres rather I just want to see the story. I enjoy games that are challenging on their own rather than cranking up the damage and health of enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

It depends on the game. The only games where I will always set the difficulty to easy is horror games. That way I can tell myself it is okay, no matter how scary it gets I probably won't die. Probably.

This depends much on the type of game we are referring to. IF it's a shooter, I play it on the highest difficulty from the start. The exception there is Gears of War, which REQUIRES you to beat the campaign once (I play on Hardcore) to play on the highest difficulty, Insane. ON CoD, I start on Veteran. Halo? Legendary or bust (except when my crappy friend MADE me play co-op on Heroic).

Now, other games vary. For example, Guitar Hero. I've never played an instrument before, so when I first tried the game out, I was terribad, and played on Easy. I then went to Medium, then hard, then Expert. I think from III on (since I only had them on Xbox), I played them all on Expert from the start. When I tried out Rock Band on the drums, I started on Easy as well (again, never played a real instrument). However, I picked up on the drums VERY quickly on that game, and was playing it on Hard within an hour (never COULD get as good at drums as I was guitar, mostly because I broke too many bass pedals, haha!).

Also, for sports games, I keep it turned down. I usually play MLB 2K on Pro or All-Star, as I personally think that Legendary ruins the point of playing a sports game, as it GREATLY loses realism (like a pitch down and away just off of the zone being a pull home run). NBA 2K, I play on Pro, mostly because I'm just too lazy to change the difficulty, haha. Madden (which I ONLY play if I borrow it from my cousin who I live with, as I won't buy from EA), I play on Pro, as I am just bad at Madden.

So, basically, I only play a genre on Easy when I am first learning it, then I play at the highest setting, unless it either breaks the game (like most sports games) or I am simply bad at it (like Madden).

Depends on the game.
    Shit smeared games like CoD or Gears of Wars or Uncharted, that are designed for braindead people, if I ever get a copy, I'll just play it in the easiest setting because I doubt anything changes between difficulties.

Games like Torchlight I play on easy because, frankly, I just want to blow stuff up.
    Serious games I play on normal.