Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

The effects of TES: Online on WoW

Since you're all evidently inept, I'm not claiming TES: Online will be a WoW killer. I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off. Jesus, people.

I've been following TES: Online more and more here recently, and as excited as I am for it, I am concerned about WoW. I'm not saying that it's going to be a WoW killer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but if its model of gameplay takes off and becomes a popular thing (in regards to combat, questing, and the like), how would WoW have to adapt in order to remain king?
    Last edited by Rheckameohs; 2013-01-27 at 07:12 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

same as with any other mmo I'd imagine, take a few good ideas that could be adapted into WoW (examples of previous include aoe looting and achievements) and keep throwing out their own ideas as well

The same thing will happen as always when a new game comes out, people claim its the wow-killer, people leave for a month, then come back to wow. Look at all of the games that were going to be "WoW Killers", Warhammer, Rift, Aion, SWTOR, ect. I see no reason why TES: Online will be any different.

As far as I can tell TES:Online is less adventurous in implementation and mechanics than either TOR or GW2 and neither of those did anything to particularly topple WoW
    All it has going for it is a brand name known for being incredibly buggy and largely played for mods, which won't be applicable to an MMO

Here we go again, LOL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to point anything at you Op, but im haveing the biggest Deja'Vu at the momment.

Yeah. I wonder how they are going to do that well. The other games had big mod followings. If they lock that out of the mmo then it will just be their buggy game style that everyone is stuck with?

Too bad games aren't as cool as their cutscenes. The movie for elder scrolls seemed cool.

It's going to have about the same affect that Warhammer/Rift/Swtor/GW2 did on WoW.

Hint: nothing.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    It's going to have about the same affect that Warhammer/Rift/Swtor/GW2 did on WoW.

Pretty much.

Not to mention that ... oh nvm i forgot my flameshield at home.

People seriously need to read OP before posting.

Deleted
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand this starts again.
    It's obviously gonna kill WoW unless WoW copies all the amazing revolutionary features TES has

AKA, none.

15+ Year Old Account
    I REALLY hope that TES: Online wont go the way of SW:ToR, TERA or The Secret World, super hypd up and F2P after some months... :/
    I NEED another proper MMORPG to replace WoW for me
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty damn skeptical of this game. No MMO has lived up to its hype. I almost feel like Bethesda would have just been better off making another single player TES. As ^^ they said, Skyrim and such were fun because of the mods, and honestly I can only see server lag, glitches, and lack of mods ruining the game. =/

Edit: Therefore, I really don't think it will do more than pull some subscribers off WoW for a month. They are going to be different gameplay styles though, so their best bet is going B2P with microtransactions for cosmetic stuff later down the line. This makes it so they don't have to necessarily work to PEEL people off of WoW, just get people to buy it.

Deleted
    please no, im a really big fan of TESO, but we dont need threads like this, keep the discussion in the mega thread and not which mmo is better, please!

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    please no, im a really big fan of TESO, but we dont need threads like this, keep the discussion in the mega thread and not which mmo is better, please!
    It's inevitable, just let it ride its course and ignore such threads. It's the only way to be sane.

Well I watched peoples Alpha impressions and it seems pretty badass. Being able to play in either third or first person like Skyrim; though having played WoW since the start I doubt TESO will have much of an effect on the future of WoW though I'm still waiting to be proven wrong

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post

Because WoW totally didn't borrow anything from those MMO's right? Also WoW didn't send out big begging "come back emails" during those releases right?

Ow wait they did..

I guess it's another one of those blind fanboys that think that all MMO's died but Wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Because WoW totally didn't borrow anything from those MMO's right? Also WoW didn't send out big begging "come back emails" during those releases right?

Ow wait they did..

I guess it's another one of those blind fanboys that think that all MMO's died but Wow
    And the flameing starts with this guy, and from here on out, the thread wont go much further without beeing closed. Good job.

Many people played Skyrim for hundreds of hours even though it was "only" single-player and therefore had no long-term incentives (e.g. community). This is what separates it from previous games that were praised as WoW-killers.
    It's similar to what it was like with WoW: people played WC2 and 3 for hundreds of hours and therefore WoW was that successful.

Deleted
    I love how wow just takes the ideas it likes, conglomerates them and watches the other mmo die.
    True Giant.